ET yard sale

I think it was mostly the momentum of his body, but it is possible he was coached to tuck and roll.

Yea it does just look like he fell that way.

The other day I got cross rutted and took a dive. It wasn't at high speed and I was able to think it through in mid air, turn and landed on nice big padded back side of the chest protector.

Wish they all could be that way ha

• Like 2

Watching the video, it looks like his upper body was leaning to his left, when he steered to balance, the wheel dug into the left side of the rut and caught him.  Then he goes flying.

Tuck and roll could be instinctive or he could have don't some training recently.  Given how high they jump, they should do "kitty cat out the third story window" training at swimming pools off the low springboard dive.  That is jumping wildly into the air, then work to land feet first, just in case you're the next Chad doing a Chadapult.

As a teen, we use to ram our bicycles into a neighbors hedge fly over the top, tuck and roll onto the lawn.  It didn't make the neighbor too happy about the hole in the hedge from so many hits.  Over the bars is second nature to me.  I wear a chest protector and a camelback. The water bag cushions the crash.

Edited by Kev_XR
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, lowmass said:

http://motocrossactionmag.com/eli-tomacs-millville-crash/

So, just before hitting the ground, it looks like he pulled arm in, turned, and landed nicely on his back. Or did the bike just kick him around that way?

Stickin that arm in the sand may have handed the whole mess over.

He had alittle advance warning that something like this was going to happen when he cross rutted, but I think your right he pulled that arm back in and used the sand to his advantage.

I messed my shoulder up years ago and finally got it fixed this February. Of course I injured it from sticking my arm out to catch a hard fall. I rode with it for a little over a year with it dislocating about once every 4 rides. I will never ever stick my arm out during a crash again. I don't even have to think about it. It's like an instinct now. It looks like he pulled his arm in on purpose. I don't think it would have helped Ken Roczen though, that was a nasty crash

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ka24s14am said:

I messed my shoulder up years ago and finally got it fixed this February. Of course I injured it from sticking my arm out to catch a hard fall. I rode with it for a little over a year with it dislocating about once every 4 rides. I will never ever stick my arm out during a crash again. I don't even have to think about it. It's like an instinct now. It looks like he pulled his arm in on purpose. I don't think it would have helped Ken Roczen though, that was a nasty crash

I think your right about that, Ken got pitched off hard. Dont know if putting his left hand out helped to prevent other possibly more serious injuries or not but it might have.

Edited by TDW

yea Ken hit the face dead on. The physics of a short stop distance put the impact force through the roof. 

Arm out or in, likley somthin was gona get crushed

I wonder, If when he comes back, will he continue to use that farward style off jumps? I mean thats really twice now he has pulled same get off. First time he landed on down hill side, second time into face.

Its gotta weigh heavy on his mind

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lowmass said:

yea Ken hit the face dead on. The physics of a short stop distance put the impact force through the roof. 

Arm out or in, likley somthin was gona get crushed

I wonder, If when he comes back, will he continue to use that farward style off jumps? I mean thats really twice now he has pulled same get off. First time he landed on down hill side, second time into face.

Its gotta weigh heavy on his mind

Trying to overcome the physical limitations is formidable,  much less trying to overcome the mental aspect as well. This will be very, very difficult. 

• Like 1

If roczen tucked his arm he would have had some sort of internal explosion. Pooped his spleen or something. 

• Like 3

Trying to overcome the physical limitations is formidable,  much less trying to overcome the mental aspect as well. This will be very, very difficult. 

ken is still young, he's still all in mentally

The physical limits is what's gonna hold him back

• Like 2

9 hours ago, M1Garand said:

ken is still young, he's still all in mentally

The physical limits is what's gonna hold him back

I agree. The physical limitations will limit his future capabilities. But don't ignore the fact that his crash will play out in his mind, over and over and over again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MANIAC998 said:

I agree. The physical limitations will limit his future capabilities. But don't ignore the fact that his crash will play out in his mind, over and over and over again. 

And the thing is this is twice now that this exact type of get off has happened to him. The first one he was fortunate to land on the down hill side of the landing. The second time he slamed directly into the face. Youth has a way of forgeting and moving on for sure BUT I would think that twice will weigh a bit heavy on the mind.

• Like 1