Older rider starting over

I am a fit 62 year old and weigh 172.  My sons ride trails and have way too much fun.  I want to join them. We would be mostly riding trails in Midwest and south.  Only very occasionally in Arizona.    Would like to buy a good reliable used bike I can handle.  Not looking for ultra performance... not a racer.  2 or 4 stroke?, how big? Brands? I don't think I need street legal.   Again I need a bike that I can handle, so lighter is better.  

Do you have prior motorcycle riding experience?  Was it dirt bikes or street riding?

what are your sons' recommendations for you?

Yes.  I do have riding experience but very little recently.  

Oh, and it was dirt bikes.  

Can't really go wrong with the 230's.

If you must have more size and performance, a WR250F would be the way to go.  

Don't mess around with a 230. Ktm 300xcw or the like. You can putt around as slow as you like and have the bike to grow with you as skills improve. Nimble, chug like a tractor when needed, 2stroke cheap to maintain....

couple things i would recommend are that you get an offroad/enduro bike with wide ratio transmission (e.g. I would steer away from using an MX bike for enduro/trail riding).  Many Enduro bikes have lighting that you can convert or plate.  You will have to decide on whether you want two stroke or 4 stroke.  Generally speaking a two stroke is 25-35 lbs lighter than a comparable 4 stroke.  KTM/Husky/Beta have the two stroke enduro market locked up.  Other than Yamaha that came out with a YZ250X, no Japanese manufacturers make them anymore.  So if you go the two stroke route you basically have the Euro bikes to choose from.

The Japanese have also almost abandoned the enduro/offroad market as well and the only real enduro/offroad offerings are the WR250F/WR450F, YZ250FX/YZ450FX and CRF250X/CRF450X.  The Euro brands have plenty of four stroke enduro model offerings as well in ranges from 250 cc's to 500 cc's.

Are you planning to buy new or used? 

Most of the offroad enduro bikes are reliable as long as you maintain them whether two stroke or 4 stroke and regardless of brand.  If you buy used, pay close attention to hours, mileage and potential wear and tear.