Looking for people to ride with! IL, WI, MI

What's going on guys? It's been years since I've been on TT and I've spent just about the same time off the bike. After college real life set in and I had to focus on starting the career and a family. Now a few years in, I'm ready to get back to my #1 love in life (now #4 behind God, my wife and son). I spent 2 years in Arizona, a bit in California and 7 years in Southern Illinois where the riding was all amazing. The Midwest really isn't the trail riding capital of the world so finding people to ride with is difficult. I'm willing to drive up to Michigan, Wisconsin, etc. to find some good riding. If anyone is in a similar boat and is looking for someone to hit the trails with, shoot me a message. I'm located in the Chicago area but I'm wanting to travel up to the UP, northern Wisconsin, etc. to experience what that area has to offer. 

I can hold my own on difficult single track but prefer faster stuff. ANY riding at this point would be great. 

There are private riding parks within an hour of me but I am not a fan of riding from fence line to fence line in 10 minutes and that being the extent of the riding area. 

Right now my bike (09 WR450) is set up enduro IMG_20170707_2023363.jpg.7c2abeacd866987bb72a998e862e1837.jpg

IMG_20170707_2035573.jpg

Edited by Maximus83

I live in the Cadillac Michigan area & ride pretty much every weekend.  I can ride from my house to any of the following trail systems:

MC - Long lake

MC - Grand Traverse

ATV - Missaukee Junction

ATV - North Missaukee

ATV - Leetsville

ATV/MC - Lincoln Hills

ATV/MC - Little Manistee

My trips avoid asphalt and the trails are mostly sand so a more aggressive tire is advisable & would probably make your ride more enjoyable.  You would also need to purchase the Michigan ORV sticker for about $25 & the Trail Pass for about $10, both are good till March 2018. Give me some dates & I'll set something up. Msg me for accommodations info.

I (and sometimes one or two other friends of mine) ride principally Sundays (yes, I am Christian like you but I reject attendance in the non-biblical-model church ubiquitous in America today) in the fall and spring in the Manistee National Forest in West Michigan, and we usually depart in the morning and drive about 1.5 hours to the trails. So for you that would mean coming up and staying overnight the night before in an area hotel, or you could come up on Friday for the weekend and we could meet you at trail on Sunday (meet one time on a trial basis to see if we enjoy riding together). I ride under control, for safety, and to enjoy the scenery. Of course speed adds challenge and fun but we never ride to impress others, our ourselves, with our speed. You could send me a private message in the fall if you think you might be inclined to head this way. Just remind me of this Topic and supply a link to it so I can be refreshed as to who you are.

I'm often looking for a ride buddy. I enjoy all types of riding and have a plated Husky 501 and Yamaha R1 to cover all the bases. Home base is in Coleman 48618 and I'm within about an hour of several good trail heads. Gladwin, St. Helen, Leota, Evart, and Moreland's MX park are ones that I've done. So many more on the list to do and camping by Black Lake is high on the list.

I'll try and be ready when you are,,,

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 0:07 PM, Kendzi said:

I live in the Cadillac Michigan area & ride pretty much every weekend.  I can ride from my house to any of the following trail systems:

MC - Long lake

MC - Grand Traverse

ATV - Missaukee Junction

ATV - North Missaukee

ATV - Leetsville

ATV/MC - Lincoln Hills

ATV/MC - Little Manistee

My trips avoid asphalt and the trails are mostly sand so a more aggressive tire is advisable & would probably make your ride more enjoyable.  You would also need to purchase the Michigan ORV sticker for about $25 & the Trail Pass for about $10, both are good till March 2018. Give me some dates & I'll set something up. Msg me for accommodations info.

Kendzi, Thanks for the reply. You are absolutely right about needing different tires for the sand. The trials tires are great for everything but sand and mud. I'm thinking late August I'd love to come up there for the weekend and ride what ya. I'll shoot you a message with my contact info.

Supresst, that sounds like a great idea and I'd definitely be up to ride with you guys for a day and then maybe make it a thing if we are on the same page/pace. I'll message you in the fall to see when you guys are going! Thanks!

Uncle Jimmi, if you'd like I can let you know what kind of trip I have planned when it's in the works and if you can make it that'd be awesome! Thanks for the reply bud!

Hey guys, I'm going to be up in the Wolf Lake (Baldwin) area this weekend on Sunday and Monday. Anyone going to be riding? I'm bringing the wife and baby up to hang out at the lake while I do some riding during the day. If anyone wants to meet up I'd love a riding partner!

Just got back from the Baldwin area. Only got to ride yesterday (Sunday) and did way less than I wanted. From what I saw Michigan riding is fun and I can't wait to go back! I woke up Friday and had come down sick with a flu/cold. I had already made reservations and took Saturday off work (one of my last personal days for the year) so I was going hell or high water. I woke up Saturday with the cold chills and throwing up. Luckily my mother-in-law came over to watch my son so I could sleep until my wife got off work. When she got off she helped me load up my bike and truck and we hit the road 3 hours later than we wanted. I rolled in town Saturday night at 11:30 ET and fell asleep. Sunday I got up and was determined to go riding even though I was still under the weather. I didn't message or call anyone locally to meet up because I was not on my game and knew I'd be a buzz kill to anyone looking to hit it hard (or even ride a normal pace). Got a late start after sleeping in but I ended up riding some of the Little Manistee to the MCCC connect to the Little O and then south along the Little O for about 20 miles. The loamy sand on the Little Manistee to the connect burnt me out before I even got to enjoy the ride. HAHA. None the less I pushed on to the Little O trailhead. I had to spend about 30 minutes at the trailhead to cool down and regain my composure. I set out south on the Little O and initially thought, "oh no, whooped out loamy sand. If this goes on I'm going to kill myself."  A couple miles into the loop and I was loving life! I took another break, cooled down and then pushed on. I didn't end up doing the whole loop because I was feeling like absolute shit, physically, but I was loving the ride. I ended up heading back north and hitting the pavement back to 37 and north to Wolf Lake. I wasn't supposed to be on the road like that was I? I thought at any moment I was going to pass a copper and I'd have a ticket, although my bike is "Street legal." I know I've heard other guys say they "hit the pavement due to lack of day light" but when I was up there I saw ZERO bikes on the highways hitting it back to camp for the night.  Anyway, I got back just before sun down and went to bed early. Woke up in the middle of the night soaked in sweat. That combine with the Little O being closed for maintenance today, I decided the whole world was against me and came home today. Next time I'll be better prepared and know what to expect. Would like to plan a trip in the future, possibly early September! 

Edited by Maximus83

Hello, I am looking to do some riding starting around September/October through fall and perhaps some of winter. I live in Northwest Indiana, also known as a Chicago Land area, and I've been up to a couple trail systems up in Michigan before like Evart and Cedar Creek. I'd be interested in checking out some other trails up there, so perhaps someone here would care to meet up at some point? I'm usually off Sundays and Mondays, so those would be preferable for riding. Could probably take off a Saturday here and there, it depends, I have a somewhat lenient job.

I run a 2003 Honda CRF230F and I like to take footage of my rides. I like taking video, doing a few edits and throwing them on youtube for kicks, FYI. Anyways, I'm really trying to get some rides planned for the fall and so on, and it will be difficult to get my current riding buddies to come with on trips longer than those to the Badlands in Attica. So if anyone is interested in riding for a day or two up north, shoot me a reply. I can take a good mix of tight, technical single track, or some faster paced type of stuff. Hill climbs are fun for the footage, too! It really doesn't matter to me at this point, I'm just sick of watching my bike collect dust every season! Thanks

Sorry for lack of communication on this site. I can't log in on my phone and don't get to the computer much.

I'll try and find time to pass my #'s so I can be reached by text or call. I'm self employed try to get on the trails often.

Riding a new Husky FE501 with plate and ORV permits. Not an expert but above average and enjoy cruising almost as much as going fast as I can on single track.

Wanting to do a camp (primitive style) and ride before it gets to cold.

G0520685 (2).JPG

G0300343.JPG

Just got back from the Baldwin area. Only got to ride yesterday (Sunday) and did way less than I wanted. From what I saw Michigan riding is fun and I can't wait to go back! I woke up Friday and had come down sick with a flu/cold. I had already made reservations and took Saturday off work (one of my last personal days for the year) so I was going hell or high water. I woke up Saturday with the cold chills and throwing up. Luckily my mother-in-law came over to watch my son so I could sleep until my wife got off work. When she got off she helped me load up my bike and truck and we hit the road 3 hours later than we wanted. I rolled in town Saturday night at 11:30 ET and fell asleep. Sunday I got up and was determined to go riding even though I was still under the weather. I didn't message or call anyone locally to meet up because I was not on my game and knew I'd be a buzz kill to anyone looking to hit it hard (or even ride a normal pace). Got a late start after sleeping in but I ended up riding some of the Little Manistee to the MCCC connect to the Little O and then south along the Little O for about 20 miles. The loamy sand on the Little Manistee to the connect burnt me out before I even got to enjoy the ride. HAHA. None the less I pushed on to the Little O trailhead. I had to spend about 30 minutes at the trailhead to cool down and regain my composure. I set out south on the Little O and initially thought, "oh no, whooped out loamy sand. If this goes on I'm going to kill myself."  A couple miles into the loop and I was loving life! I took another break, cooled down and then pushed on. I didn't end up doing the whole loop because I was feeling like absolute shit, physically, but I was loving the ride. I ended up heading back north and hitting the pavement back to 37 and north to Wolf Lake. I wasn't supposed to be on the road like that was I? I thought at any moment I was going to pass a copper and I'd have a ticket, although my bike is "Street legal." I know I've heard other guys say they "hit the pavement due to lack of day light" but when I was up there I saw ZERO bikes on the highways hitting it back to camp for the night.  Anyway, I got back just before sun down and went to bed early. Woke up in the middle of the night soaked in sweat. That combine with the Little O being closed for maintenance today, I decided the whole world was against me and came home today. Next time I'll be better prepared and know what to expect. Would like to plan a trip in the future, possibly early September! 

If you have a Michigan ORV permit you can ride on many county roads. You are suppose to have a couple of lights. Ride on the shoulder around 25 and normally law enforcement won't bother you.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using ThumperTalk mobile app

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:54 AM, 230 Sausage said:

Hello, I am looking to do some riding starting around September/October through fall and perhaps some of winter. I live in Northwest Indiana, also known as a Chicago Land area, and I've been up to a couple trail systems up in Michigan before like Evart and Cedar Creek. I'd be interested in checking out some other trails up there, so perhaps someone here would care to meet up at some point? I'm usually off Sundays and Mondays, so those would be preferable for riding. Could probably take off a Saturday here and there, it depends, I have a somewhat lenient job.

I run a 2003 Honda CRF230F and I like to take footage of my rides. I like taking video, doing a few edits and throwing them on youtube for kicks, FYI. Anyways, I'm really trying to get some rides planned for the fall and so on, and it will be difficult to get my current riding buddies to come with on trips longer than those to the Badlands in Attica. So if anyone is interested in riding for a day or two up north, shoot me a reply. I can take a good mix of tight, technical single track, or some faster paced type of stuff. Hill climbs are fun for the footage, too! It really doesn't matter to me at this point, I'm just sick of watching my bike collect dust every season! Thanks

Sounds like there are a bunch of us in the same boat. I'm down to go up north in September and October. I'm off three days at a time and can sometimes take the day before or after off as well to accommodate other people's schedules. In September I'm off (9,10,11) (18, 19, 20) (27,28,29) and in October (6,7,8) (15,16,17) (24,25,26). I think the biggest issue is meshing everyone's schedule. If anyone wants to try to plan a trip one of those three days or a day before or after, post up some ideas and let's get this thing in motion. 

I'll keep those dates in mind for sure. My schedule will most likely be as lenient as yours, not so much in September, but October and beyond for sure. I'm gonna try to plan something out within the next week or so, so keep an eye out for my post.

Sent from my SM-G950U using ThumperTalk mobile app

Was following up on my CCC Classic Ride post and read this one.  You guys should check out the Cycle Conservation Club of MI (CCC): there are rides coming up on weekend of Sept. 9th and 23rd. The 9th is the Classic Ride, it will be single track and stage from the Lansing Motorcycle Club grounds (Home of the Jack Pine Enduro).  The 23rd. is the Color Tour, it will be more open using the Rose City, Ambrose Lake and Ogemaw Connector. It stages at the Bent Wheels grounds in Rose City.

Come as a group or come by yourself; either way there's new people to meet or sweep riders if you like to ride alone.  I'll be at both (working the Classic Ride), if you go let me know and/or look me up.  KTM 300 with 827 number plates.

Ok, so I have a question. As I said, I'm from Northwest Indiana. But I've been doing some research as to which trail systems I'm going to check out and plan some riding dates, and while looking at places like Holton Loop or Horseshoe Lake, I've noticed that some portions of those trails have sections only relegated to bikes that are plated. It doesn't look like those parts use a whole bunch of public road to get to the next point of the trail, either. It's a bit confusing. My Crf 230 is not plated, and it has no light setup. Nor do I intend to go to such lengths. But I will be getting the ORV stickers. So exactly how limited is my riding going to be up there? Would I be able to ride the licensed trail sections as long as I stay on the dirt or the side of the road? Are the cops lenient about this sort of thing, even if riders are out of state like myself? I'd love some feedback on this, any info that would help me to prevent hassles would be appreciated!

It really depends on where you are and the road your on.  As far as roads go, it depends on the county or local city, for example in St. Helen they have a local ordanace in the city the allows more than the state Public Act that allows counties to allow riding on the side of certain roads.  Interstate and "M" roads are excluded, further you have to have a headlight and tail light.  There also three types of "trail" on the MI DNR Maps Motorcycle Only, ATV and MCCCT.  Motorcycle Only and ATV only require the stickers (both), MCCCT uses a combination so the requirement depends on where you are.

Going back to my post above, CCC events pull permits and work with local LEOs to put on a ride.  This allows them to get permission to ride on the certain road sections but not require the headlight/taillight or license plate.  A CCC ride is planned by one of the chapters; the chapters plan the route, mark the trail, provide gas stops if needed and sweep riders to ensure everyone makes it back.  Depending on the event there could be 60 to 200+ registered riders.  Many of them include additional activites like raffels, bike rodeo games, hot dogs.  I think you said you where looking for a place to ride Weekend on Sept. 9th.  I suggest you check out the Classic Ride. It will be a motorcycle only ride, no lights or plate required.  

Here's a link to the flyer: http://www.cycleconservationclub.org/PDF/Events/2017_Classic_Trail_Tour.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 2:53 PM, 230 Sausage said:

Ok, so I have a question. As I said, I'm from Northwest Indiana. But I've been doing some research as to which trail systems I'm going to check out and plan some riding dates, and while looking at places like Holton Loop or Horseshoe Lake, I've noticed that some portions of those trails have sections only relegated to bikes that are plated. It doesn't look like those parts use a whole bunch of public road to get to the next point of the trail, either. It's a bit confusing. My Crf 230 is not plated, and it has no light setup. Nor do I intend to go to such lengths. But I will be getting the ORV stickers. So exactly how limited is my riding going to be up there? Would I be able to ride the licensed trail sections as long as I stay on the dirt or the side of the road? Are the cops lenient about this sort of thing, even if riders are out of state like myself? I'd love some feedback on this, any info that would help me to prevent hassles would be appreciated!

So there are a ton of major trail systems (Big O, Little O, Little Manistee, North Missaukee, etc. etc.) varying from 25 miles to 70+ miles for the entire loop. Most all the trail systems loops you can ride without ever having to hop onto a major highway or road. You only need the DNR stickers, no lights, plate, etc. Some of the systems DO go onto fire roads, logging roads, etc. that DO require the bike to be street legal but when you research a specific loop you will see that info listed. Look for a place to stay where you can ride right onto the trail system or jump onto a connector. Typically if you can't ride from where you stay (motel, camp site, etc. will advertise being able to ride from their property), you trailer the bike a little ways and start off at a trailhead parking lot onto the trail system and do the whole loop or turn around and head back the way you came. They are all big loops. It isn't like the riding I've been used to in Tennessee, Kentucky, WV, Missouri, Arizona, Etc. Riding in those areas was much more wide open and not as much TRUE single track. Riding was more exploring in the above mentioned areas. You would ride down the trail, take a left or right, explore one area, then move onto the next. In Michigan, it really doesn't seem to be the case. You ride the trail and don't venture off. It's still fun none the less, but different.

Let me know when you are thinking you want to go and what area so I can start some planning on my end.