Seal Mate Tool Thoughts

Bought the seal mate tool to fix both fork seals. My over all impression is it's way over priced for what you get, but it will save you big bucks.

Time per tube was about 30 minutes. Only needed to go around 2-4 times per tube with the tool. The forks lost about 1-3 cc of fork oil per side. After some suspension pumping both sealed back up.

I highly recommend getting one of these and trying to fix it first before you fork over $~130 per side. (Monday = Punday)

X001-Y001.jpg

Back in the day, we used to use a strip of 35mm film to clean under the seals.  Endless supply with every roll of rim developed.  The seal saver does work pretty well.

• Like 2

made my own with a plastic mountain dew bottle and scissors. Saved a lot of money.

• Like 1

So what is the actual cleaning effect of these things supposed to be? To wedge out any dirt between the fork oil seal and the leg? How does it pull the dirt out from between the two surfaces? It seems like wedging something under the seal would just push whatever dirt is trapped there into the internals. I don't know. I've never thought it would work out well.

Edited by Metal and Dirt

With the amount of fluid that ran out the seal, I bet is just loosens up the dirt and the oil flushes it. If there is larger stuff than the really thin mud that was on my tool, it would just push it out of the way or pull it out.

Both forks are not sealed up again. I am sold on it's functionality. It was $7 on amazon with prime.

Sounds as good as film.  I always used 35mm film negative and it worked, then in 2012 I installed SealSavers.  That was the end of leaking fork seals for me in both my dirt bikes.

What I need now is a sort of seal saver for my counter shaft. I average replaceing about two CS seals a year on the KLX450R.  I think mud from my 120 wide rear gets on my chain and conveyor belts up to the front sprocket and gets wedged into the CS seal.

sealsaver.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wielywilly-g said:

Sounds as good as film.  I always used 35mm film negative and it worked, then in 2012 I installed SealSavers.  That was the end of leaking fork seals for me in both my dirt bikes.

What I need now is a sort of seal saver for my counter shaft. I average replaceing about two CS seals a year on the KLX450R.  I think mud from my 120 wide rear gets on my chain and conveyor belts up to the front sprocket and gets wedged into the CS seal.

sealsaver.jpg

Looks like those are an overly large dust boot. I will have to get me a pair. Thanks.

• Like 1

Most may be fine with the shorter version, but I ride lots of mud, so when they get a hole in them where the knobby come close to the outter fork tube, I just move them up an inch and trim off the bad part.

If it works for you, that's all that matters. Over the years, I've bought a lot of gadgets that turned out to be useless for a lot more than $7.

made my own with a plastic mountain dew bottle and scissors. Saved a lot of money.

Exactly what I did when I seen my fork seal leaking, I used a diet Mountain Dew bottle instead though. And then I found a scratch/pit in my fork it did stop leaking and I took the edge off the scratch with some 800 grit, hoping for the best.

I did try a seal mate but it was a seal and I replaced both with SKF seals and bought their mud scrapers which I'll put on in the PNW fall when it gets really snotty.

If anyone is interested an option.

http://www.skf.com/twowheeler/products/front-end/mud-scraper-kit-for-motorcycles/index.html

Edited by filterx