Leaks, leaks!! 1996 WR250Z

Geezus Harold, this bike is going to be the death of me. 

Well, not really, but this is getting ridiculous. I put in a new top end, and used the leftover unopened Namura top end gasket kit supplied with the bike. What a mistake.

Bolt the whole thing back together, pour in antifreeze, huge base gasket leak. Admittedly I didn't use Yamabond 4. I tear it all back down, get OEM base gasket, use Yamabond 4, bolt back together, pour antifreeze, no leaks. Come back the next day, radiator half empty, head gasket leak this time.

Admittedly easier to fix, but is there anywhere I should be applying Yamabond on the head gasket? It's just the two o-ring design (1993 YZ style). I'm going to AGAIN get OEM gaskets, but ffs, this is ridiculous. I knew aftermarket gaskets sucked, but not this bad. 

ive been told not to buy namura pistons - so maybe their gaskets are the same - you didnt put a namura piston in did you ?  :facepalm:

and you dont need to use yamabond on the head and base

No, I actually took the Namura piston OUT because it WAS a Namura piston. It looked fine, low hours, but it was a Namura piston. He swore by them; was a good buddy of mine. Probably the only person left on the planet with faith in the company. Lol.

I recently got my WR450F, and decided to sell the two stroke once I get it going.

Everything torqued to spec via Clymer specifications. PO also used yamabond on the base gasket. Irony. 

Should I be replacing the copper washers under the head nuts, or does it not matter? Not sure if these are truly "crush washers" or just made to expand when heated.

Edited by malignity

I have and have not replaced those washers and never a leak ever! Wonder if your head may be warped.