anybody know this KX250?

omly thing i can think of is it's overpriced ( if my usd->aud is correct) 

sounds like hes real desperate to sell it with that "spiel" 

spiel

an elaborate or glib speech or story, typically one used by a salesperson.

Yeah, I found it somewhat humorous.   Will be interesting to see what I find...

if he really knew how to take care of a bike he wouldn't advertise that he changes the spark plug regularly. that's something to be embarrassed about as it demonstrates that you have no clue how to jet a bike, either that or is sucking tranny oil or coolant.

• Like 4

You are shopping for a bike, not a salesman. Focus on the bike, not the idiot owner.

It does not look like anything special to me, and no moderately difficult or complicated maintenance will have been done. He didn't have the money, didn't want to spend the money to better maintain it, or just didn't know what the hell he was doing. Buy it. You will fit right in with many on this subforum. :facepalm:

LOL :lol:

3 minutes ago, KDXGarage said:

You are shopping for a bike, not a salesman. Focus on the bike, not the idiot owner.

It does not look like anything special to me, and no moderately difficult or complicated maintenance will have been done. He didn't have the money, didn't want to spend the money to better maintain it, or just didn't know what the hell he was doing. Buy it. You will fit right in with many on this subforum. :facepalm:

LOL :lol:

I would never want to a own a bike of a idiot.

Thanks for the responses.    We'll see how it plays out..

Edited by quickshoe

I went and looked at it, with trailer and cash in hand.   I passed.   I don't know that it is proper forum etiquette to post about a craigslist ad, so I will spare details here.   If anybody is considering the bike I will be happy to share my thoughts, just send me a PM.

3 hours ago, quickshoe said:

I went and looked at it, with trailer and cash in hand.   I passed.   I don't know that it is proper forum etiquette to post about a craigslist ad, so I will spare details here.   If anybody is considering the bike I will be happy to share my thoughts, just send me a PM.

if you found that it wasn't worth the deal then please do tell. nothing wrong with that.

In my opinion:

Bottom 1/4th of engine covered in oil/dirt....left 1-1/2" diameter oil stain in driveway in about 10 minutes without even starting the thing.    

Top of cylinder head and carb nasty-dirty/oily.  .

Front fork seals shot.

Both levers broken.

Kill switch inoperable.

Frame tube on RH side crushed at forward radius.

Pipe pretty beat up in several locations.  Lots of oil residue on cylinder at exhaust port.

Seat cover torn at rear.

All plastic in bad shape.

RH radiator pretty beat up, but not visibly leaking.

Rear MC mounting holes in frame oblong yielding at least 3/16 of upward movement in MC with fasteners tight.

Rear wheel bearings shot.

Intake manifold cracked around perimeter.

Tires bad.  

Needs brake pads, chain, sprockets real soon.

Bike shows lots of use (not always a bad thing) but along with it a lack of care and maintenance. I needed a shower after just looking at the bike.

Some of this may sound like nit-picking and what did I expect in that price-range.   To be frank, some of it is picking nits and are really easy and inexpensive fixes.  However, all those little things add up to the bike screaming neglect.   I could only imagine what I would have found if I dug further.   

He has clear title, VIN, engine and cyl numbers all equate to a '97.  So there's that going for it.

I didn't even start the thing and check compression, because I wouldn't have given more than a few hundred bucks for it and I knew he wasn't interested in negotiating.  He's a nice guy.  I genuinely believe he doesn't realize just how big of an assembled basket case he has.  Looks like he hosed it off, wiped the oil off the clutch and ignition covers and what he could reach easily on the cylinders, sprayed some armor all on the tires and put it for sale.   

Might be the right bike, at the right price, for somebody interested in the marque and saving this particular example...

Edited by quickshoe
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Doesn't sound too bad then :lol:

i reckon its worth about 800

$800 Ozzy or kiwi dollars MAYBE, so that would be about $500 ish Yanky dollars

• Like 1

good one to walk away from sounds like a couple g's to get it proper again, plus the crunch frame rail is scary.