Sticky Clutch?

Hey guys, since I got my bike it has always had a little jerk and lower idle in 1st compared to neutral; I also have trouble starting in 1st compared to neutral. I never really cared about it until now. Is this a normal occurrence, or should I be looking for something to fix? It does it when it's cold and hot. 

What bike? How old?

My KLX450R has a gear sensor that tells the computer when it is in neutral. When the computer sees neutral, it retards the timing by about 7 deg to help it start easier.

The drag on the engine when stopped in gear with the clutch pulled in is normal.  It can get worse as your clutch basket wears and get notches in it or plates warp.

I don't know about that bike, maybe the mods will move this thread there so the bike-specific experts can help you out.

First thing to do is make sure your clutch cable is adjusted right (most are 6-10 mm of free play at the end of the lever). Some drag, especially when the clutch is hot, is to be expected, too much is usually a sign of warped plates and/or a notched basket. But even with new plates and a good basket, my YZ is almost impossible to start in gear when it's hot. Idles fine in gear, just doesn't want to start in gear unless the clutch is cool.

Is there a fool-proof way to tell if it is too much, or should i just use my discretion tomorrow when I take it out?

2 hours ago, Jeb Bush said:

Is there a fool-proof way to tell if it is too much, or should i just use my discretion tomorrow when I take it out?

If it kills the motor when you put it in gear, or it's obviously trying to pull the bike forward, it's too much.