17/18 KTM 500 exc end cap screen

Waiting on a FMF 4.1 slip on which is on backorder for about a month. In the meantime I read on the earlier models to take the rear screen out. The 17' up appears to have two screens in the rear of the end cap. Do you just drill holes and use pliers to remove the screens. Note: There is still a closed cap with a captive spark arrestor screen in the front of the end cap. Oh and fueling will be controlled by a Vortex which is due in today. 

39 minutes ago, stevethe said:

Waiting on a FMF 4.1 slip on which is on backorder for about a month. In the meantime I read on the earlier models to take the rear screen out. The 17' up appears to have two screens in the rear of the end cap. Do you just drill holes and use pliers to remove the screens. Note: There is still a closed cap with a captive spark arrestor screen in the front of the end cap. Oh and fueling will be controlled by a Vortex which is due in today. 

Who did you get the Vortex from?

Im curious , if they just come programmed for stock bike with 10 different maps, or already have another map (set up) for modified bike. 

9 minutes ago, Spud786 said:

Who did you get the Vortex from?

Im curious , if they just come programmed for stock bike with 10 different maps, or already have another map (set up) for modified bike. 

I bought it from the best dual sport guy. I'm not sure if he twists the dials to what he likes or not. He claims to program them so he may. I don't believe he reprograms them internally. I'm sure it comes with instructions and it's only a matter of turning the micro dials to re set it. 

I'm interested to see how this turns out. Are there screens on the fmf exhaust and will there be a difference in sound with this screen off why do people take them off? And one more dumb question what's the vortex? Is this for the idle 

It's hard to see but I'd think there is prob a cross bar going from side to side behind the screens. I doubt there's a stem running down the hole length of the pipe. The screens doesn't seem to be tacked onto the pipe it's self. I'm sure there is a better answer but I'd try the drill and pair of angle needle nose pliers and go really easy try and spin it to break it free. Whatever is left I'd grind off with a dermal. But I'm sure there is a better answer tho.  

The 2 screens are tack welded together at one point and are basically pressed into the groove. I cut a slit with a dremel  and pulled them out with pliers. Just  grab them with anything that doesn't hurt the endcap. Don't go crazy deep with a drill and hit the spark arrestor is the only concern.  

• Like 3

yeah , best to do with end cap ON the bike, just drill the center out as much as possible, leaving an outside ring enough for punch to bite , take a punch and hit towards the center, screens will sandwich in and pop out.

the screens themselves are not welded, they sit in a sleeve , and the sleeve is tack welded.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stevethe said:

I bought it from the best dual sport guy. I'm not sure if he twists the dials to what he likes or not. He claims to program them so he may. I don't believe he reprograms them internally. I'm sure it comes with instructions and it's only a matter of turning the micro dials to re set it. 

Yeah he buys the sx vortex and tunes them for exc, you can also get them specifically with exc vortex manufacture tune elswhere for $100 less.

not sure what the differences may be, but I am curious.

2 minutes ago, Spud786 said:

yeah , best to do with end cap ON the bike, just drill the center out as much as possible, leaving an outside ring enough for punch to bite , take a punch and hit towards the center, screens will sandwich in and pop out.

the screens themselves are not welded, they sit in a sleeve , and the sleeve is tack welded.

Now you tell me. Well all I did was take off the end cap. So I'll put it back on and drill it out then use a punch. Hopefully a hole saw will work. 

2 minutes ago, Spud786 said:

Yeah he buys the sx vortex and tunes them for exc, you can also get them specifically with exc vortex manufacture tune elswhere for $100 less.

Are you sure he buys the sx Vortex. 

I have only seen the Vortex $10. less but there was a taxing issue. 

1 hour ago, stevethe said:

Now you tell me. Well all I did was take off the end cap. So I'll put it back on and drill it out then use a punch. Hopefully a hole saw will work. 

For some reason the New bikes don't have an oring, for the end cap as previous years, that really helps seal the end cap, and cuts vibration.

keeps this from happening, with high rpm use. sealant does seem to work as well.

TgG7WqZ.jpg

Edited by Spud786

8 minutes ago, stevethe said:

Are you sure he buys the sx Vortex. 

I have only seen the Vortex $10. less but there was a taxing issue. 

That's what he was saying in one of his vids, go to vortex site and look at dealer selection, 2 or 3 in California with Manufacturer tuned for exc.

5 minutes ago, Spud786 said:

For some reason the New bikes don't have an oring, for the end cap as previous years, that really helps seal the end cap, and cuts vibration.

keeps this from happening, with high rpm use. sealant does seem to work as well.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q190/holeshot73/0424112528.jpg

Check your Photobucket it's a goner. 

21 minutes ago, stevethe said:
28 minutes ago, Spud786 said:

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q190/holeshot73/0424112528.jpg

Check your Photobucket it's a goner. 

0424112528.jpg

• Like 1

You must be STOKED, if its as Good as its Price tag, Yee HIIII!!

Be sure and post how it does, seems like the map switch would be nice too, easier than dealing with the oem.

Just a follow up on the end cap, I blew up two mufflers, the first lasted about 300 hours, the second less than 100, but it was a used can. Im on the 3rd can now, but ensuring I utilize the oring and not just sealant.

11 hours ago, Spud786 said:

Where are they $100 less? Slavens is the same price as The Best dual sport guy. Vortex website must need updating as they don't list him as a vendor nor do they list the place that had it for $10 less (I cant remember where I saw the $10 less thing advertisement at)

40 minutes ago, xrbrp said:

Where are they $100 less? Slavens is the same price as The Best dual sport guy. Vortex website must need updating as they don't list him as a vendor nor do they list the place that had it for $10 less (I cant remember where I saw the $10 less thing advertisement at)

Blias racing has them for $10. Less. 

https://blaisracingservices.com/jetting/-efi-tuners/ktm-jetting/-efi-tuners.html

Best dual sport Ktm/Husky Vortex is listed. https://www.ktmandhusky.com/product-page/vortex-ignition-for-2017-500-exc-501fe

Edited by stevethe
  • Like 1