How to convince parents to let you buy a dirt bike NOW.

Hi guys I just found upon a yz85 in my area for a steal of a price and I am looking at purchasing it however the issue is my parents won't let me buy it now as we just moved here and we don't have a place to store it just yet except hopefully we get a storage locker soon. I need ideas to try and persuade them to let me buy it asap. I have already came up with the fact it needs work so it will keep me occupied with things other than school and it teaches more mechanical knowledge. I am open to all storage ideas as well.

Are you buying it with your own money or theirs? There might be a reason they say no right now if you just moved here and need to settle in, totally understandable. What all is wrong with the bike? Perhaps work on getting your own money and purchase a running bike in the winter around here, they are a lot cheaper than in the middle of riding season.

27 minutes ago, ThatE30GUY said:

Hi guys I just found upon a yz85 in my area for a steal of a price and I am looking at purchasing it however the issue is my parents won't let me buy it now as we just moved here and we don't have a place to store it just yet except hopefully we get a storage locker soon. I need ideas to try and persuade them to let me buy it asap. I have already came up with the fact it needs work so it will keep me occupied with things other than school and it teaches more mechanical knowledge. I am open to all storage ideas as well.

You sound like you want to just jump on this "great" deal.  You will probably get burned.  Have it checked out by someone that knows what they are doing.

• Like 8

Wait it out. There will be better deals

Buying a bike that needs a bit of work in the winter is both dirt cheap and it gives you time to get it up to par before you go ride
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ThatE30GUY said:

If you were my son, you could ride any of my 3 husky bikes, ....the te 300, fe 450, or the fe 350s. They are modded to the max and I keep them in stellar shape, and transport them in a bad ass brand new Toyota Tundra!

See, at home, got a 12 year old son,,,,, and my wife will not let me near him for riding, nor is he showing much interest in riding with me.....playstation is his thing.....

Show this to your folks.... they should be all over supporting you doing something outdoors and being active. Granted, you need to do YOUR part in making money to pay for gas, maintenance, gear, registration etc. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 76xtdrvr said:

The worst thing about those great deals is that something better always comes along within 30 days after you spent your $ on them.

Sounds like my dad.  When I was a kid he would buy something then spend the next couple weeks looking in ads for a better deal just to piss himself off. ??

• Like 6

1 minute ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Sounds like my dad.  When I was a kid he would buy something then spend the next couple weeks looking in ads for a better deal just to piss himself off. ??

It always happens too.

How about deals you walked away from. I missed out on a nice diesel very cheap, guy was happy to go pretty low on price. Still kick myself everytime I see a clean one driving around.

14 hours ago, Zurich said:

Tell your parents it is a family sport. You can camp and spend the weekends at tracks together. Tell your Dad that you can work on the bike together. Show them how it can be quality family time.

2008 Kawasaki KX 250F
Cary, NC

This is so true ? if you got the itch to race tho

Remember that parents are always afraid of injuries. Ask them to
Go shopping with you for safety equipment:
Helmet,
Gloves,
Torso protection (looks badass too),
Pants,
Boots,
And anything else they think you'll need. They probably want to be included in your safety, and most likely in your newfound sport. Show them that you can handle the responsibility of it, and the costs, by yourself. Then it's just a matter of convincing them that they want you to go to. You can bring up the fact that you'll be outdoors and active, that would be happy ride with your dad too, +1 to the whole family thing. Show them articles about family riding, or write/ type a very convincing letter that outlines why you should ride. Parents love when you write things up.

But if you've got parents like I had, that were paranoid that I'd kill myself, you'll have to wait till you're out of the house like I did.

Sometimes we end up with parents like that and there's no amount of speeches or articles that can convince them. That's just life.
Good luck E30 guy [emoji4]

• Like 1

Tell your parents you need something to spend your money on and keep you occupied otherwise your going to turn to drugs and booze. 

You could buy a little enclosed trailer and store it in there...

Edited by Casing-daily
  • Like 5

On 7/25/2017 at 9:49 AM, cjjeepercreeper said:

Well, I was trying to impress upon the lad that there will always be good deals around, and for him not to think it's the end of the world if he misses this one.

That said, I shall hoist a tall one out of respect for your dad; :worthy: :applause:  a man whom I have something in common with.

ThatE30Guy - where do you plan to ride it?  How old are you?  How tall are you?  

It's not like it used to be.  The biggest challenge is having a place you can legally ride it.  How are you going to transport it to/from that place?  Ripping around your neighborhood is a recipe for disaster and probably what your parents are afraid of.

Doc

• Like 1