New rider, TTR230 question

If you've seen my name around then you know that I'm a brand new rider, and that I've recently purchased a 2005 Yamaha TTR230. It came with a speedometer that tells you your speed, rpm, and the bikes temperature. But there's a few lights that come on when the bike reaches a certain temp. When the bike hits 330 degrees fahrenheit an orange light comes on and when the bike hits 350 degrees Fahrenheit a red light comes on. I've just got done riding the bike and I noticed that after about 20 minutes of riding trails in 2nd gear, going about 15-20 mph that the orange light comes on. I was wondering if there was something wrong with the bike that's causing it to overheat very quickly or if it's normal to see or what. Please let me know! Thanks!

3 hours ago, MrClanTastic said:

It's on the speedometer between the front numberplate and the handlebar guards

that's not the temp sensor. he and Im sure many others want to know what its reading the temp of.

Edited by 91kdx25088

1 minute ago, MrClanTastic said:

I'm assuming it's the bike but I'm not sure I will take a picture of it and post it tomorrow when I can ride it again and let you know

of course its the bike, its not air temp. what part of the bike. theres several different things you can measure the temp of on a bike. you can trace a wire to a sensor somewhere. we want to know whats behind the sensor. dependent on the part of the engine the sensor is bolted too it should be easy to figure out whats behind that sensor. if you can post a picture of the sensor Im sure someone on here could figure out what the sensor is reading.  

54 minutes ago, Super1c said:

I would assume he is measuring exhaust temps. It's just where on the exhaust is he measuring it. Look for a bung welded to the pipe somewhere after the header with a wire running to it.  

I don't think theres a speedo out there that measure exhaust temps.

FFS! ?

If it is a standard factory fitting (which seems to be the case) , it is measuring the engine temperature, probably on the head or likely under the spark plug seat!

There most probably is nothing wrong with your bike. Air cooled engines (and most water called for that matter) will always run hotter when worked hard at low speeds where there is little airflow through the cooling system (engine and head fins in this case - radiators in the case of water cooled bikes which is why extra radiator fans are good for slow work sometimes). As soon as you get on some open trail and speed up a bit, the light will most likely go out quite soon. If it doesn't, you might have an issue. 

Oh. If the red light come on, it probably a good idea to stop riding for a short break and let things cool down. :D

Edited by Oldie230
spelling