Hill climbing: breaking down the procedure

It seems like the constant conquest for getting up 'that hill' is a never ending struggle, so I thought I would share some new information about the 'make-up' of your typical hill.

Extended observation has led me to this conclusion/theory about the mechanics of a 'hill'.

So, initially, the area before the hill is usually not a hill, but flat, then after that the terrain seems to rise in front of you, lifting up the front of the bike.  Following that is getting to the very top, which is quickly followed by a sharp falling off, on the other side.  Immediately after, in many cases, you return back to the 'not a hill' section, similar to the type of terrain the proceded the hill.

This is my theory, and I hope it helps those that might looking up from the bottom of a hill and wondering what is going on.

• Like 1

In actuality, sometimes the area before the hill is not flat, but can be whoops and rocks and a turn, and ...

• Like 2

Thanks guys...  I think this could help me a lot.  There is a hill on 247 south of my house I have been wanting to conquer.  It's about a 30 foot elevation change over a half mile stretch of the hwy.  Pulling onto the shoulder of the road and crawling along in first gear while other drivers zip through can be frustrating.  I hope this thread gives me the tools needed to make this hill in the future. :worthy:

• Like 2

Damn good thread, very informative. I'll add my $0.02 to help fellow riders...its easy going up, it's the coming down that is tricky.

2 hours ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

Thanks guys...  I think this could help me a lot.  There is a hill on 247 south of my house I have been wanting to conquer.  It's about a 30 foot elevation change over a half mile stretch of the hwy.  Pulling onto the shoulder of the road and crawling along in first gear while other drivers zip through can be frustrating.  I hope this thread gives me the tools needed to make this hill in the future. :worthy:

Try rotating the old air in your tires. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, the Riddler. said:

I think you don't know.

3 hours ago, still2smokin said:

Then you obviously don't know , ya know ?

I think we should find out who knows what.

• Like 2

I think we should find out who knows what.

mom had to SHOW UP and ruin the party.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RAZR_ said:

mom had to SHOW UP and ruin the party.

razr are you posting from the carcass trail??

• Like 3

razr are you posting from the carcass trail??

FROM THE TOP!
  • Like 2