Back on a 450X

Not sure what I was thinking last year, traded my 450X for a XR650L, what a pig that is to ride on the trails, not a bad dual sport bike, but definitely not a trail worthy bike.

Anyway I scored a one owner 2005 CRF450X yesterday in Denver, looks brand new, rekluse clutch, scotts steering, skid plate $3400

I've always like the fit of a 450X, even after owning a 525 EXC, just seems like being home

So, if anyone is interested in a XR650L, let me know

00r0r_lmOV6GYIQru_1200x900.jpg

00505_64IW9FYy2Jj_1200x900.jpg

00H0H_gb3NNGwTz2M_1200x900.jpg

Even has a fresh OHV sticker on it! Doesn't show it in the pic's 2018 OHV

Edited by dlee
  • Like 3

Wow, only 4.8 miles! Just kidding. But you can really tell its a low hour bike by the minimal wear on the frame where the boots rub, and the clutch cover where the right boot rubs. Great score! Too bad the previous owner didnt get to use it much, but turned out great for you!

Did 50 miles yesterday trail riding, first time I've ever had a bike with a rekluse clutch, got to say, if I would have known, I would have been running this clutch 20 years ago. Awesome for trail riding, definitely less ware on the body. Almost feels like cheating

• Like 1

I also sold my X years back when everyone thought the 2012 would be all new.....im about to pick up a 08+ used one if Honda doesn't announce something sweet soon. Ok, im old school too- what on earth does a Rekluse do? I have always ignored the idea as im not a fan of slipping the clutch for any reason and shifting is the least of my worries with my out of shape 42yr old A$$  anyone in Oregon that can let me try a X with one installed?

Edited by JRM

A Rekluse gives you the option to use your clutch or not, you still go through the gears while riding. The advantage is this bike wont stall out, saves on arm pump as well. And in my opinion, it changes the overall ride completely. You do give up a little power, but not much, great for older guys like us ( I am 52) and its starting to take longer to recover after a long ride

• Like 1

Good post; however the auto clutch loses little if any power.  When the auto clutch engages, the clutch locks up as tight or tighter than a manual clutch only bike.

Edited by Chas_M

Nice looking bike! My son has a 250x that he is learning on, and he loves it. It does not have a Rekluse, but he seems to handle it quite well so far.

I hated the idea of an auto clutch, just an old school purist, never tried one. While looking for a used bike a few months ago I test rode a WR450F with Rekluse on asphalt, was so strange. I ended up buying a 400 EXC with Rekluse, and I like it. I'm a 54 y.o. beginner on single track, and I'm sure it is helping immensely. I do feel like I'm cheating myself, so I am going to get something lighter and smaller to play with, and I will start with standard clutch, maybe switch later, but want the challenge of slipping that clutch on trails.

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:28 PM, JRM said:

I also sold my X years back when everyone thought the 2012 would be all new.....im about to pick up a 08+ used one if Honda doesn't announce something sweet soon. Ok, im old school too- what on earth does a Rekluse do? I have always ignored the idea as im not a fan of slipping the clutch for any reason and shifting is the least of my worries with my out of shape 42yr old A$$  anyone in Oregon that can let me try a X with one installed?

JRM - The 450RX with electric start wasn't sweet enough for you?

N0, need wide ratio gearbox at a min- preferably a 6th gear to get the RPM down when I have to blast down 20 miles of paved and gravel roads to reach my trails- 

• Like 1

That's true - I do wish they would offer a different trans. I have not yet ridden the 17 or newer Hondas, but I do know that they changed the gearing for 1st and 2nd, but the other three gears are really close to the same as the previous 450Rs.

Good Going!! The 450x can still keep it with the new kids on the block despite (or because of I'm not sure which) it's dated design. Still has a lighter curb weight than the 2017 WR and is proven to be bulletproof aside from the occasional valve issue and early trans oil starvation issues that were easily fixed. I love my 08 and will probably keep it for good.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2017 at 9:36 AM, JRM said:

full quart in the trans and the 05-07's are good to go, still looking for a 08+ with the stabilizer, but around here people want 6-7K for a used one  :(

Trip to Utah - https://www.ksl.com/classifieds/listing/45620598

https://www.ksl.com/classifieds/listing/45586943

Did the 450X come with the front steering dampener too?

On 9/7/2017 at 6:34 PM, JRM said:

yea in 2008+ they added the dampener and slimed the tank area down

To make for 1.9 gallons available to ride on a 450. Not so smart unless your rides are 35 miles or less. 

• Like 2

To make for 1.9 gallons available to ride on a 450. Not so smart unless your rides are 35 miles or less. 

Dead Right. My 450x on one hard ride i did with the stock tank did about 30mi to reserve. IMS 3.2 now i get 60-70mi on a tank. Can be as low as 50 to reserve on hard going.
  • Like 1