Iron butt with the DRZ anyone have done it ?

Im thinking of trying it. I tried and fail twice with my previous bike (Kawasaki zzr 1200)

The first time I was so excited that I couldn't sleep, prepped the bike, snacks etc , the first 600 miles were ok but then I was getting sleepy and had to stop.

The 2nd time went very well, I rode a lot slower than the first time (I mean kept it under 120 most of the time but in my dream only cuz speeding is illegal...) I had about 120 miles left , was between flagstaf as and vegas with several hours ahead of schedule then the bike just died.... I was in the middle of nowhere. I knew I was running low on gas but should have enough until the next gas station. It was around 2 am.. I started walking in full gear (racing boots, leather pants and jacket) I walked about 4 miles and a car pulled over and gave me a lift to the truck stop. I bough a gas can and filled it up then asked several trucker if the could give me a lift. Finally found one but he was getting is breakfast first. I waited about 40 minutes then he drove me back. I filled up the bike, tried to start the bike, battery was dead, I was parked in a uphill so I turned the bike around and was able to start it that way. Finally made it home but passed the deadline by 1 hour...

Actually my bike didn't run out of gas, most likely the carbs just iced up. If I had waited a little the ice would have melted and I would have made it..

Anyway, live and learn. But I would like to try again with the Drz, it will be more difficult to do it but I think it's possible.

It indeed has been done - but just once according to the Iron Butt Association official web site list.

"Robert Lux       Holton, KS      09/25/04       Suzuki DRZ400        1,048"

https://www.ironbutt.org/certified.htm

Not me - but I have completed a few IBA certified rides on much bigger bikes and love the DRZ off pavement.

Steve

You must hate yourself if you do an iron butt on a drz. I would need to take a week off work to recover from the abuse of the drz seat.

• Like 2

I did around 500 miles in a day a few years ago on my first drz (stock seat). Was a nice ride but my rear was sore. Thousand mile day on a drz would be quite impressive.

IMG_1501114246.204687.thumb.jpg.b493be3665c400a57046d05a20960cc9.jpg

• Like 1

No matter what, our butt always get sore...lol
But the ride is just sooo nice , it's worth it !!!

I have a seat concepts seat and it hurts after only 30 minutes of riding.. can't imagine the iron butt challenge.

My seat concepts seat broke in after about 2k miles, I can stay on it pretty comfortably for about 5-6 hours now. It was really stiff at first though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

I cannot imagine doing an IB on a DRZ. Maybe if I weighed only 130 pounds and had legs long enough to sit back on the seat. But I am a svelte 220 and have the legs of a troll so that is out.

My record bike run was NJ to Montreal (550 miles or so) in about five hours, basically flat out on a FZR1000. I walked around with my arms clenched and in a crouch for a day!

To do an IB on any bike that is not a big touring bike, I salute you!

• Like 1

Billy, Nice !! You sure packed quite a few things !!

2000 miles total but I spent 2 weeks in South Carolina the bags had clothes the panniers had mostly tools the tank bag had snacks everything I need
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, William1 said:

I cannot imagine doing an IB on a DRZ. Maybe if I weighed only 130 pounds and had legs long enough to sit back on the seat. But I am a svelte 220 and have the legs of a troll so that is out.

My record bike run was NJ to Montreal (550 miles or so) in about five hours, basically flat out on a FZR1000. I walked around with my arms clenched and in a crouch for a day!

To do an IB on any bike that is not a big touring bike, I salute you!

You don't wanna weigh that little.. no natural cushion lol

• Like 1