Street legal 200 exc

Hey guys, I'm thinking of picking up a used 200 exc as a spare buddy bike. Has anyone driven one on the street? I'll mostly use it for single track but it would be nice to take it to work occasionally. I wouldn't go longer than 5 miles in a stretch and my top speed would be about 40.

I haven't done it on a 200, but my knowledge is applicable here.

DOT tires aren't very good in the dirt, and dirt tires aren't very good on the street.  Dirt tires on the street will wear quickly.  Having a true street bike - of the adventure flavor - has kept me from riding my dirt bikes on the road very much.  

Hope this helps.

I have a KTM 300 with plates.  It is an absolute nightmare on the street.  I use it only to link up trails.  It's hard to explain how bad it is.   Raaap rap rap rprp raaaaaaaap raaaaaaaaaAAAAAP RAAAAAAAP! is just not something I want to hear or feel on the street. It destroys tires even in soft use.  

Worst. Street. Bike. Ever.  

I imagine a 200 would be even worse. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, poldies4 said:

Go for it, my buddy has a kdx 200 that is street legal.  For short trips, it's a blast. 

That's what I was thinking. I could roll through downtown where the yuppies are at and smoke em out ?

• Like 1

I have a buddy with a plated 200 XC-W, and I have plates on my 300 XC-W. Here in PA, there is a difference between plated with a legal plate and fully inspected and street legal. To pass inspection, you need horn, mirrors, DOT tires, brake lights, high and low beam, and a high beam indicator light on the dash. We are not inspected.

Have had zero issues with using it to do transit sections across public roads, even up to a few miles. 

But there is no way I'd commute on it. It really doesn't like putting along on the highway at say 40 MPH, the motor is a lot happier when you are on the gas.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pat22043 said:

Have had zero issues with using it to do transit sections across public roads, even up to a few miles. 

Having a plate to link up trails is awesome.  Here in New England it's almost a requirement as there are not all day riding options that don't require at least going over the roads a bit.  I love having a plated 2 stroke. 

20 hours ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

The 2014 200xcw i had was plated. Rode it 8 miles on pavement to get to a trail head several times. Bike did fine if you kept it under 45mph. 

Yup, that's a good use for a plate on a 2 stroke. That's what I use it for.  However, real knobbies run at off road pressures wear amazingly fast over pavement. It's probably something like 40:1 You could really destroy a set of soft off road tires in 100 miles very easily.  One ride of even 10 miles rounds off the sharp edge of a new off road rear. 

This said I often ride to meadows near my house just to goof around.  It's not real trail riding but if I have an hour or two to kill I'll go there for fun.  One of the best things is taking the 2 stroke into town for coffee after and parking it next to the Harleys.  It's always good for a laugh. 

• Like 1

My 200 has plates, I don't think it is technically legal though.  I really don't like riding it on pavement but that may be because I can see the rear S12 being destroyed rapidly.  It isn't exactly relaxing to accelerate on pavement since you have to short shift to stay off the pipe, although the W trans would probably make this easier.

14 hours ago, newstylecustoms said:

My 200 has plates, I don't think it is technically legal though.  I really don't like riding it on pavement but that may be because I can see the rear S12 being destroyed rapidly.  It isn't exactly relaxing to accelerate on pavement since you have to short shift to stay off the pipe, although the W trans would probably make this easier.

you either have an off road plate or a street plate. how do you not know if you had to go to the DMV and have it inspected?

1 hour ago, 91kdx25088 said:

you either have an off road plate or a street plate. 

I have a 100% official street plate on my 300 XC-W. With current registration, all paperwork matches the VIN, etc.

But in two states that I've lived in, PA and VA, having current plates does not make you street legal, you need inspection.

7 hours ago, 91kdx25088 said:

you either have an off road plate or a street plate. how do you not know if you had to go to the DMV and have it inspected?

Indiana doesn't require inspection beyond verifying the VIN which was done.  I don't think Indiana has off road plates, just ORV registration for off road only vehicles.  I had plates from my old XR and just transferred when I registered the 200.  I don't currently have brake light, just tail light.  No turn signals or horn, but then again half of the custom Harley's don't have this stuff either and they don't seem to have problems.  Bottom line is I don't ride on the street except between trails anyway so it doesn't really matter.

• Like 1

My 300 EXC is street titled, plated, insured and inspected.   Use the Rocky Mountain ATV kit. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1156/26724/Tusk-Motorcycle-Enduro-Lighting-Kit

It installs pretty easy, is very compact, and light. Just use the on board lithium battery option for the signals, horn and brake light not wired into your charging system. It charges from a wall charger when the bike is parked.  I am pretty sure the switches are the same as the Sicass Racing ones, but Sicass modifies theirs a little bit.  The quality of the Tusk kit is excellent. If you need to add a Polisport headlight to get an inspectable high low beam that runs off your bikes AC lighting circuit.   MA is almost impossible to plate in so I register in VT, which is no title state and then bring my bikes in after they've been Vermont registered for six months. 

As I said elsewhere an unplated bike is just about useless to me as here in New England almost all off roading done for more than a few miles will include passing over roads to link up trails.  My days of skiting the law are long over. 

• 2 years later...
Two strokes don't like to coast.  

This is a ticket to seizures. 

I have never once see this or heard about it actually happening. People say it all the time online though. For the op: I had a 2001 200exc that was registered for the road. It was just ok on the road as any small bore 2 stroke is. It worked just fine for dual sports and getting from trail head to trail head but I would use it to commute or anything.

• 1 year later...

I live in PA and I have a 2003 ktm 200 exc personally.... I've never once had a cop pull me over,, tons of u turns thinking they were gonna get me but they left me be after running my plate. I only primarily ride it on the street. Shinko series 700 is a decent tire to use without going full radial for the tires. If you only plan on driving it locally "20 Miles" daily, it's fine. I ride mine on the street most every day and I love it. I would recommend going with a 15 tooth front sprocket and a 47 tooth rear sprocket. Maintenance is a must if your riding mostly street. Especially chain tension and tire pressure and don't forget that air filter, clean and lube it regularly.  Don't be putting it around through town either, stay in 2nd or 3rd and keep it in the top end unless you wanna trash your cylinder. I hope this helps someone out there! 

Edited by Jeremy Farabee