KX250 Crankshaft Jig

I am rebuilding my '93 KX250 and have everything ready to go. All new seals, bearings, etc. Cases are clean and ready. I've installed all the seals and bearings and am ready to put the crankshaft in. I have a Tusk crank installer/puller.

Do I have to use a crankshaft jig to install a new crank in my '93 KX250? If not, then what is the best way to install it? Heat/Cold or Tusk installer or ???

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Jim

1 hour ago, 351mustanger said:

If the installer will attach to both ends of the crank, you will not need the jig. Nor will you need to freeze the crank and heat the bearings. Imo the installer is the best way to put it in. Although, sometimes it will not work.

Any thoughts on when/why the installer will not work? 

• Like 1

The tusk installer pulls on one web, so no load is transferred to the con rod or other web. So no jig is needed.

Another option is to freeze the crank overnight and it will drop right in. However, all moisture will condense on on cold crank, so make sure to address that.

You only need the jig when you are pressing the halves and crank together like a sandwich.

if the 93 motor is like my 2000 , you need to freeze the crank and heat the case up with the bearing in the case for the primary gear side and drop it in  as there is no where for the tusk tool to attach . you can by an adapter for the tool tho to do this

2 hours ago, ctdrules said:

Any thoughts on when/why the installer will not work? 

Some cranks have left handed metric threads, which are hard to come by for most of us. Others have c-clip attaching points, which require the accessory.  Those are a couple reasons, I am sure there other circumstances when it doesn't work on one side or the other.