Should I sell the ol' 300?

Hey guys,

I have a 2015 KTM 300xc that has all the goodies including a GPR Pro Stabilizer kit with a Slaven's SX Mule Kit. I love the bike, have won everything from A-level woods racing to the Expert class in the Parker 250 on it. It's been a great bike, but she's tired. I made the mistake and rode my buddies 17 350 this past weekend. Although the power was great, still miss the brute force of the 450. The ergonomics on the new bikes feel awesome as well. It felt a little too thin when I first sat on it, but after I shifted her in 1st that feeling of "too thin" went away quickly. The 300 has been nothing but good to me but I feel as if a new 450 will light the fire under my ass to ride all the time again. Oh, and the suspension. I have spent over $1,500 to get my 4cs to "work" but the new AER fork blew it away. I know I will not regret buying a 450, but I do not want to regret selling my 300 either. I've came here to get talked out of keeping ol' blue and make an upgrade. So my question is, who has came from the last generation 2-stroke and is diggin or not diggin their new 4-stroke? I have read every single review on the new 450 and have came here to get the end-users opinion, not a dirt bike magazine's. 

Regards,

Jacob

• Like 1

I ride my 450 everywhere. I just change the suspension settings as needed. I even plated it. I put a sicass kit on that I remove for Mx. I was honking the horn going over the jumps at muddy creek and getting some funny reactions. Guys on 300s are dismayed that I'm going over logs and making it up knarly single-track hills on an Mx bike with no recluse or flywheel. The handling is amazing. I love this bike. 70 hours so far. Zero issues. My next bike will be another KTM or husky 450. The 350 just doesn't have the grunt I like, I'm sure I'd get use to it, but feels slow after being used to a 450.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 2

11 hours ago, pomoco said:

I ride my 450 everywhere. I just change the suspension settings as needed. I even plated it. I put a sicass kit on that I remove for Mx. I was honking the horn going over the jumps at muddy creek and getting some funny reactions. Guys on 300s are dismayed that I'm going over logs and making it up knarly single-track hills on an Mx bike with no recluse or flywheel. The handling is amazing. I love this bike. 70 hours so far. Zero issues. My next bike will be another KTM or husky 450. The 350 just doesn't have the grunt I like, I'm sure I'd get use to it, but feels slow after being used to a 450.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

I wasn't implying I can go more places with my 300, actually I've made it up a few hill climbs on my 450 that I was very sadly disappointed with the 300. (These hills were gnarly) But, I know what you mean by the 350 feeling slow, just doesnt have the giddy up the 450 did.  

I left my 250xc for a 450 and I don't see myself going back any time soon. That 450 torque makes riding so much fun not to mention how many things are easier to do with that torque.

All the 300 guys will say "You'll be sorry" but you know you won't. I had a CRF450X recently for a year. Loved the torque and speed when needed. Never had a problem riding it on anything technical but it wouldn't stay cool and didn't like to start either. Get those things dialed in and I'm sure a 450 will be great. 

I moved down to a MX 250F due to easier starting, cooler operating temps, and less fuel consumption. 

If you have not already sold your 300 - don't.  Like you I've been riding a 2011 300 SX (250 SX with 300 kit installed) for years with many years before that on a 2008 250SX.  I just bought a 2018 450 SX and yes it is the Cadillac of MX...can't say enough about it.  However I've enjoyed sprucing up the 300 SX with new top end, chain sprockets, tires, etc.  I swapped out the red power valve spring with the green one to allow my old MX buddies to ride it without being freaked out.  It's nice having a bad ass two stroke lingering in the garage!  Happy Tracks & Trails!

• Like 2

I come from a yz250 to a ktm 450 and I'll say they both have their place. My self personally I love the mx bike and responsive power for woods riding ya just have to be a little more on the aggressive side. Those 300 2 strokes are something else though. Way better for extremely right single track or jumping logs..i am not a log jumper guy I like to move and move fast and hit jumps and climb hills and go WFO.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2017 at 8:01 AM, shrubitup said:

All the 300 guys will say "You'll be sorry" but you know you won't. I had a CRF450X recently for a year. Loved the torque and speed when needed. Never had a problem riding it on anything technical but it wouldn't stay cool and didn't like to start either. Get those things dialed in and I'm sure a 450 will be great. 

I moved down to a MX 250F due to easier starting, cooler operating temps, and less fuel consumption. 

LOL, sold the 250F and back on a 250 smoker. Content already. :D

• Like 1

Well, I pulled the trigger on a new 450fx and still have the 300 but it's currently for sale. I figured I'd get rid of it and pick up one of the them non vibratin' port injected sums o bitch in the next year or two! 

• Like 1