Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi all, this is my first time posting but I'm currently in a mental dilemma. I just found out my next base is going to be in Louisiana and I plan in doing the Louisiana cross country series down there. Currently I have a beta xtrainer but I was already planning on upgrading to a 300rr but now that I'm going somewhere that has less technical terrain I'm stuck between the yz250x or possibly 300rr race edition or even husky 300xc. I feel like I will be just fine with the yz but I don't have a lot of experience on a 250 and I'm not sure I wanna lose the low end tractorability of a 300. I love the price of the yz and I think I'm leaning towards that since I could always put in the Athena 300 kit but I just wanna make sure I won't be making any huge sacrifices by going with the 5 speed gearbox over a 6 and losing electric start and hydraulic clutch,and I don't think the yz has an adjustable power valve. Just wandering if anyone will give me some good solid input or recommendations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have watched all his vids. I really liked when he directly compared the yz to the ktm 300xc but it's just such a hard decision. I'm still thinking the yz is prob the better deal. 9k for new xc and 7400 for yz. With that difference I could put the 300 kit in it. Just wanna see how people feel about the suspension, gearbox, and starter differences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I go over this constantly also, its like a friggin' hamster in my head.  If I can make a suggestion:  there are used 250x's popping up on Craigslist more and more.  There's one in the Philly area that sold for a little less than $5000.  If the yami doesn't work out, it'll sell in a flash.

Also, I'm not sure how technical/gnarly your terrain will be.  The uglier it is the more the 300 KTM/Husky/Beta will shine.

Another thing: all the guys I ride with (five "A" riders) all switched to Yami, mainly because of the unbeatable suspension. If the Yami came with the magic button the decision would be simple.

Hope this helps,

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea just helps me lean a little more towards the yz. I'm sure I'll keep switching back and forth until I actually pull the trigger on one haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 17 250xc but almost bought the yz250x. The only reason i didn't buy the yz was was i have another ktm to share parts with and the estart. The yz is a dam good bike and if your looking for a fast lively bike it along with the 250xc would be a good choice. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget the gas tank size difference.  I like the YZ250X, but it's not at the same level at the KTM/Husky/Beta. It definitely won't tractor like those bikes, so if that's your style that's a huge consideration.  The YZ is cheaper but if you have to put a big bore kit on it, bigger fuel tank and still don't have a hydraulic clutch, e-start or wide ratio 6 speed gearbox, it seems like a false economy to me.

Let's also not forget the new KTM and Husky's have that counter balancer that makes them the smoothest two strokes ever produced.

When I bought my 2016 350 XCF-W in November of 2015, I emailed every KTM dealer in my state and asked for their best price.  I told them flat out whichever dealer gave me the best out the door price would sell a bike.  I had two dealers that came with great quotes.  I'd have to go back and check the exact price but I think it was like $7,500ish plus tax, etc which eas way under MSRP.  I'd see if dealers are willing to deal on any of the bikes you are interested in as that might also change the decision making process.

 

Doc

Edited by Doc_d

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll do no better on the KTM than you would YZ and vice-versa. Buy what you can afford, nothing more... Why spend $9k to finish mid-pack if you can spend less? Unless the KTM has some real specific advantages that you 'need', the YZ250X is going to be more than capable and more affordable.

All the BS about the added torque of a 300 isn't all its cracked up to be, especially if you aren't taking the time to set up your chassis and suspension properly...The bikes that win are the ones with the most seat time, period! 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JRobby24 said:

I have watched all his vids. I really liked when he directly compared the yz to the ktm 300xc but it's just such a hard decision. I'm still thinking the yz is prob the better deal. 9k for new xc and 7400 for yz. With that difference I could put the 300 kit in it. Just wanna see how people feel about the suspension, gearbox, and starter differences.

You don't need to put a 300 kit in the YZX. Do some basic suspension work, take the time to setup the bike and you'll be every bit as comfortable and competitive on it as any KTM.

Kyle is also very biased when it comes to the KTM. His experience is limited but his lack of seat time and ability. As a whole, he offers an opinion, but it's ALWAYS based and compared to the KTM. It's easy to 'tell' someone how good or bad something might be, alot harder to show it... Put them on the line and let the results speak... On paper the KTM has some advantages, but in the bush it's a whole different story. The rider being the deciding factor...  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To WWalker. I bought the xtrainer simply because my dealer didn't have a 300rr at the time and I didn't want to miss out on riding with my dad. it was kind of an impulse buy but it paid off because it was the perfect bike for me to get my feet wet with again since it had been almo0st 5 years since I had really ridden. Now that I am a lot more comfortable in the woods the xtrainer just isn't enough bike for me and I don't really wanna be dumping a ton of money into it since im not really a fan of how small the bike is. When I reide my dads 300xc-w I feel much more comfortable with it being a bigger frame. I know the smaller frame has its advantages but its just not really what I want.

As for what bike I want next, I really love the idea of the 250x and I know that ill be doing 1.5hr races in the LACC series but I also don't wanna be kicking myself when I go home on leave and ride some of the real technical rocky stuff. Also if I do go with the 250x I will plan on putting on a bigger tank and most likely a flywheel weight. I pretty much narrowed my options down to the yz250x or a husky tx300 now. with the husky I wouldn't have to do any mods other than the possibility of having to put in a new reed cage since the 17's ae having issues with that. with the yz I would be putting a larger tank, flywheel weight (probably), and not sure if I would eventually want a hydraulic clutch, and im not sure how I feel about not having e-start.if I could get an awesome deal on a tx300 I would prob go with that but theres not a lot of options for dealers around me so I cant imagine they will drop the price too much if at all.

 

for what I want in the bike. I just want something I can be competitive on and I know that im not gonna be the fastest rider but once I get used to racing I don't wanna feel like im being held back by having one bike over the other. the 300 is great and it has everything I can think of that I would "want" but is it really things that I need. also its gonna be heavier than the yz. As for the yz its lighter and gets great reviews but I don't wanna feel like im being held back by not having the comforts of the husky like the hydraulic clutch, e-start, and just that its a 300.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bet if a company offered a package for the YZ250X that included a 300 big bore kit with a counter balancer, 6 speed wide ratio gear box, hydraulic clutch, electric start and a larger gas tank installed for $1,500 there would be a lot of YZ250X owners lining up to buy it.  That's what you get with the KTM or Husky.  So why not just start there to begin with especially if you shop around and get a better deal than MSRP on them?

 

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not a Yamaha hater.  I think it's awesome Yamaha dipped their toe in the enduro market.  I think if Yamaha added the 6 speed gear box, hydraulic clutch and e-start and kept the price reasonable they could easily win 50+% of the market share.    I think where the Yamaha makes sense is if you buy it and are willing to forgo those features and ride it bone stock.  The moment you start dumping money into it to make it more like the European bikes, it would have just made more sense to buy a European bike to start with.

My opinion is either buy the Yamaha 250X and live with it as it is or buy a European bike.  As Monk said, a fast rider will be fast on either bike.  You just have to decide if creature comforts like a hydraulic clutch that's easy to pull and always consistent or a 300 that can be ridden lazily up anything will significantly add to your enjoyment of owning it.

 

Doc

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doc_d said:

I bet if a company offered a package for the YZ250X that included a 300 big bore kit with a counter balancer, 6 speed wide ratio gear box, hydraulic clutch, electric start and a larger gas tank installed for $1,500 there would be a lot of YZ250X owners lining up to buy it.  That's what you get with the KTM or Husky.  So why not just start there to begin with especially if you shop around and get a better deal than MSRP on them?

 

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not a Yamaha hater.  I think it's awesome Yamaha dipped their toe in the enduro market.  I think if Yamaha added the 6 speed gear box, hydraulic clutch and e-start and kept the price reasonable they could easily win 50+% of the market share.    I think where the Yamaha makes sense is if you buy it and are willing to forgo those features and ride it bone stock.  The moment you start dumping money into it to make it more like the European bikes, it would have just made more sense to buy a European bike to start with.

My opinion is either buy the Yamaha 250X and live with it as it is or buy a European bike.  As Monk said, a fast rider will be fast on either bike.  You just have to decide if creature comforts like a hydraulic clutch that's easy to pull and always consistent or a 300 that can be ridden lazily up anything will significantly add to your enjoyment of owning it.

 

Doc

 

 

I would have given the X a look in if it had the WR box and road legal lighting for Australia.

It doesnt really NEED a juice clutch or a CB even tho in my opinion they are better to have than not. Same with the E starter, I dont feel the need to change my kick start only KTM over for an E-start one, as nice as Estart is. So I imagine lots of  blue riders feel the same. Especially if they are tall and find the bike wasy to kick.

I also dont think it needs the 300 kit. They have excellent pull right off the bottom as a 250.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Doc_d said:

I bet if a company offered a package for the YZ250X that included a 300 big bore kit with a counter balancer, 6 speed wide ratio gear box, hydraulic clutch, electric start and a larger gas tank installed for $1,500 there would be a lot of YZ250X owners lining up to buy it.  That's what you get with the KTM or Husky.  So why not just start there to begin with especially if you shop around and get a better deal than MSRP on them?

 

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not a Yamaha hater.  I think it's awesome Yamaha dipped their toe in the enduro market.  I think if Yamaha added the 6 speed gear box, hydraulic clutch and e-start and kept the price reasonable they could easily win 50+% of the market share.    I think where the Yamaha makes sense is if you buy it and are willing to forgo those features and ride it bone stock.  The moment you start dumping money into it to make it more like the European bikes, it would have just made more sense to buy a European bike to start with.

My opinion is either buy the Yamaha 250X and live with it as it is or buy a European bike.  As Monk said, a fast rider will be fast on either bike.  You just have to decide if creature comforts like a hydraulic clutch that's easy to pull and always consistent or a 300 that can be ridden lazily up anything will significantly add to your enjoyment of owning it.

 

Doc

 

 

A cable clutch will provide a consistent and easy pull, plus is much more reliable then a hydraulic and has better feel. I've have only had one clutch cable break, I knew it was coming, new cable was in the mail. I've had many more issues with hydraulic clutches(KTM), to say that they are better, or more reliable is just not true, at best you could say that some prefer one over the other and if anything goes wrong it will be more costly to repair the hydraulic clutch then the cable.

The OP is going to be doing a XC series in the south, I don't see the need for 250 two stroke with estart, wide ratio(gappy) gear box or a 300 kit. A YZ250 or X out of the will be race ready, add a tank if you don't want to pit, you'd have to add a tank to the KTM also if you twist the right grip, so that is a wash. I didn't see you mention a revalve for the WP suspension, that won't be needed on the KYB suspended YZ/X. 

So, you can pitch the ball however you want but it really comes down to personal preference. If I didn't have a white kickstart only 2017 250 two stroke I'd have a YZ250. 

Edited by TommyB 754
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the input everyone! Looks like I'll be going with the 250x. Now I just gotta convince the wife to let me give her a power of attorney so I can have the new bike waiting for me when I get back to the states!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JRobby24 said:

Thanks for all the input everyone! Looks like I'll be going with the 250x. Now I just gotta convince the wife to let me give her a power of attorney so I can have the new bike waiting for me when I get back to the states!

I was going to say go with what Monk and Bushpig said, very sound advice.

The YZX is the deal of the century for what you are going to do with it.  KTM is a great bike IF you need the versatility.

Get the Ty Davis tank ONLY I have the IMS and I covet a ty tank.

Suspension is amazing stock from what I hear but can be made better IF you want better.  Most consider it better then AER which can also be made better.

Cable clutch isnt all that bad but can also be made better.  Several outfits make an easier pull lever.  You can also convert it to hydro for 100 bucks if I recall right.

If you do tech just gear it down.  By all accounts you will still have enough legs for fast sections too.  Everyone yaps about a 6 speed but all it is is more shifting.  If the motor pulls the gears 6 speeds is just work, more work not good.

You dont need estart either.  Buy a rekluse.  I like the z start pro but they offer a core exp 3.0 that many like.  They are not for everyone but I have won races becuase of it.

Vibration- the yz vibrates WAY less then my 16 ktm but likely the reverse on the new counter balanced bikes.  Still the point is it vibration isnt an issue but can be made better if so inclined.  BRP makes rubber mounted bars with mounts for a damper.  I put on flexbars too and that works great for vibration and comfort-they weigh a ton though.

Power- dont waste money on the 300 kit, heck if you do that you might as well go ktm.  Just get the head done IF you want more.

The cool thing about going yzx vs ktm is all the money you saved and now have to play with to do it right.  I'm writing all this and starting to change my mind on the 18 300 I'm picking up this week.  lol  Only reason I'll go through with it is for some of the extra's I need on the ktm the yz doesnt have.  To get my ktm the way I want it will likely FAR exceed your set up costs.  SO on top of the big money I pay over the yzx I still need to do chit that costs money.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sycamore said:

I was going to say go with what Monk and Bushpig said, very sound advice.

The YZX is the deal of the century for what you are going to do with it.  KTM is a great bike IF you need the versatility.

Get the Ty Davis tank ONLY I have the IMS and I covet a ty tank.

Suspension is amazing stock from what I hear but can be made better IF you want better.  Most consider it better then AER which can also be made better.

Cable clutch isnt all that bad but can also be made better.  Several outfits make an easier pull lever.  You can also convert it to hydro for 100 bucks if I recall right.

If you do tech just gear it down.  By all accounts you will still have enough legs for fast sections too.  Everyone yaps about a 6 speed but all it is is more shifting.  If the motor pulls the gears 6 speeds is just work, more work not good.

You dont need estart either.  Buy a rekluse.  I like the z start pro but they offer a core exp 3.0 that many like.  They are not for everyone but I have won races becuase of it.

Vibration- the yz vibrates WAY less then my 16 ktm but likely the reverse on the new counter balanced bikes.  Still the point is it vibration isnt an issue but can be made better if so inclined.  BRP makes rubber mounted bars with mounts for a damper.  I put on flexbars too and that works great for vibration and comfort-they weigh a ton though.

Power- dont waste money on the 300 kit, heck if you do that you might as well go ktm.  Just get the head done IF you want more.

The cool thing about going yzx vs ktm is all the money you saved and now have to play with to do it right.  I'm writing all this and starting to change my mind on the 18 300 I'm picking up this week.  lol  Only reason I'll go through with it is for some of the extra's I need on the ktm the yz doesnt have.  To get my ktm the way I want it will likely FAR exceed your set up costs.  SO on top of the big money I pay over the yzx I still need to do chit that costs money.

Syc, to clarify my comments I would NOT buy the new YZ-X if I was going the YZ route, so I dont think you're making the wrong choic buying an 18 Kato. But the KTM guys who rip on the YZ are so far off base it's not funny. I'm a KTM 200 fan but could be VERY happy with a YZ-X, I just think the new price is a bit rude!

I'd buy a used gem of a bike, add a full WR gearset, a FWW, jet with a suzuki needle and revalve for tech and my lack of skill and call it done, it would be all the bike I need or want.

JM.02.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks again fellas. Been talking to my dad about my dilemma as well and at first he was thinking the yz was the way to go but the more he's thought about it the more he thinks the tx300 would be the smarter way to go. His reasoning is that while I do plan on racing I will also still be doing casual rides and going home on leave and riding real technical snotty stuff where the 300 motor would shine, as well as the hydraulic clutch. Along with being able to make some easy adjustments in air pressure to the fork. My wife is gonna be so happy when I finally make up my mind on what I want! 

Since I am considering either bike I'm aware of what I would want for the yz in order for it to be a good race bike. The idea would be an acerbis 3.2 gal tank, and heavier gytr flywheel to start.

so what all would I want to do to a tx300 if I wanted to race it? Would I still need a bigger tank for 1.5 hours races? I don't know how long the laps are but I'm guessing it could be up to a 2 hr race if I happen to lap just before time runs out.

also both bikes would be getting the basic protection, rad guards, skids plate, Obie linkage guard, and full wrap hand guards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BushPig said:

Syc, to clarify my comments I would NOT buy the new YZ-X if I was going the YZ route, so I dont think you're making the wrong choic buying an 18 Kato. But the KTM guys who rip on the YZ are so far off base it's not funny. I'm a KTM 200 fan but could be VERY happy with a YZ-X, I just think the new price is a bit rude!

I'd buy a used gem of a bike, add a full WR gearset, a FWW, jet with a suzuki needle and revalve for tech and my lack of skill and call it done, it would be all the bike I need or want.

JM.02.

The yzx is CONSIDERABLY less money here in the states. OTD for yzx is probably mid 7's vs almost 10k for a ktm.  BUT the question isnt what you or I would do, the poster posed the question which is a new bike.  If it were me I wouldnt put in the gears and I've thought about it a bunch on my yz.  I would likely wait for a used X but that could be quite a while.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so if money wasn't a factor on the actual price of the bike and just take into consideration the price of all the mods and aftermarket parts it gonna need. which bike would y'all go with? 17/18 yz250x or 17 husky tx300? right now ive been swayed towards the 300 since it will be able to comfortably do all types of riding instead of just being really good for xc racing it will be just a little heavier for racing but better everywhere else. which would be putting around with my wife, practicing going as slow as possible, and riding some really gnarly hard stuff.

Also just wondering if anyone on here has any experience with the 17 or 18 ktm/husky 300's and what all I will probably want or need for racing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×