16 & up KX450?

So for those that have a 16 or newer with the new slimmer/lighter chassis how do you like it compared to the older KX's? I currently have an 08 but in a couple years I would like to upgrade to a 16 or newer with the new chassis and fuel injection. My 08 still has a carb but never has trouble starting hot or cold and I have not rode a new KX so I wouldn't know if it's worth spending 5 grand or so on a slightly used new bike. My other concern is with these newer fuel injected bikes does anyone have an electrical issues?

Thanks

With any thing that has electronics there are problems but I'd say that the majority of people don't really have issues with the fuel injected bikes. You need to remember these bikes are made in Japan and fuel injection has been around for a long time now.
I can't help you out about the 16 and newer because I own a 12. You will be happier with an updated bike because I know I was going from an 09 to a 12.

18 hours ago, jevyguy said:

With any thing that has electronics there are problems but I'd say that the majority of people don't really have issues with the fuel injected bikes. You need to remember these bikes are made in Japan and fuel injection has been around for a long time now.
I can't help you out about the 16 and newer because I own a 12. You will be happier with an updated bike because I know I was going from an 09 to a 12.

That's kind of what I figured, I don't see to many threads on here about people having electrical issues but as with anything electrical it can all fail at some point or another. I picked up my 08 at really good price this spring and put about $500 into it making it look good and it seems to run good as well or at least I think it does since it's my first 450. So for me the next bike I would get will probably be a slightly used new bike or a left over model from the dealer. But I like how the new chassis is slimmer and the bike is lighter. The number plates actually have a hole for the air box large enough to get you hand into to lift the bike on a stand which is nice.

My buddy has an 09 and a 16. I have ridden them both and the 16 is worlds better as far as cornering, flickability and powerband. My next bike will be a 17 Kawi. 

My buddy has an 09 and a 16. I have ridden them both and the 16 is worlds better as far as cornering, flickability and powerband. My next bike will be a 17 Kawi. 

That's exactly what I wanted to hear lol. I'm sure the new 450s feel more like riding a 250t as far as flickability and cornering. My 08 feels like a beast compared to my old KX 250s.

I have a 16 kx450, I came off a 08 yz 450. Man what a great move, the bike goes where I want it to go. The bike is very nimble and awesome in the corners. My only thing is that the TAC Forks require some extra attention. If you're like me, and like the adjustability of the air pressures then you'll like the TAC. If you are the kinda guy that wants to set it and leave it then you might want to do the spring conversion. Otherwise, this is a great bike. 

29 minutes ago, wolffracing182 said:

I have a 16 kx450, I came off a 08 yz 450. Man what a great move, the bike goes where I want it to go. The bike is very nimble and awesome in the corners. My only thing is that the TAC Forks require some extra attention. If you're like me, and like the adjustability of the air pressures then you'll like the TAC. If you are the kinda guy that wants to set it and leave it then you might want to do the spring conversion. Otherwise, this is a great bike. 

Nimble and good cornering sounds good to me lol. My only issue is with the air forks as I have never had them and I don't race so I would rather set it and forget it. How much is a spring conversion? Could someone like me get away with having air forks and not really adjusting them all the time. This will sound bad but I have been eyeing the 2018 RMZ450 mainly in part due to the spring forks.

48 minutes ago, IraqvetUSMC said:

Nimble and good cornering sounds good to me lol. My only issue is with the air forks as I have never had them and I don't race so I would rather set it and forget it. How much is a spring conversion? Could someone like me get away with having air forks and not really adjusting them all the time. This will sound bad but I have been eyeing the 2018 RMZ450 mainly in part due to the spring forks.

Spring Conversion kits are about $500.00 plus if you have someone install it for you, they are actually easy to install you could do it yourself. The air is the spring, so find the air pressures that equal the spring rate that you'll need for your weight and skill level and you're good. You'll have to check pressure before you go out and ride. I normally check once, right after I pull it off the truck. After that, then you could leave it until the next ride day. Picking up a new bike is all about personal preference, all the bikes these days are great right out of the box. I went with the KX because it was middle of the road on handling, suspension, and engine. If you want a lot of power then YZ would be a good choice, If handling is something you're then the RM would be an awesome fit. 

5 hours ago, wolffracing182 said:

Spring Conversion kits are about $500.00 plus if you have someone install it for you, they are actually easy to install you could do it yourself. The air is the spring, so find the air pressures that equal the spring rate that you'll need for your weight and skill level and you're good. You'll have to check pressure before you go out and ride. I normally check once, right after I pull it off the truck. After that, then you could leave it until the next ride day. Picking up a new bike is all about personal preference, all the bikes these days are great right out of the box. I went with the KX because it was middle of the road on handling, suspension, and engine. If you want a lot of power then YZ would be a good choice, If handling is something you're then the RM would be an awesome fit. 

That's not horrible on the spring kit price, but I would be willing to give the air forks a shot before I spent the money on springs. I would like to have a new bike just because they are a little bit lighter, slimmer and have fuel injection. I have about $2,500 wrapped up into my 08 KX450 and with a good scrubbing and new plastics and graphics the bike actually looks pretty good for the year. I have no bike payment right now but I am trying to talk myself into spending an extra 5K for a new bike. I just don't know if it's worth it yet haha. I would most likely stick with a Kawi since green is my favorite color on a dirt bike. 

On 8/14/2017 at 6:11 PM, IraqvetUSMC said:

That's not horrible on the spring kit price, but I would be willing to give the air forks a shot before I spent the money on springs. I would like to have a new bike just because they are a little bit lighter, slimmer and have fuel injection. I have about $2,500 wrapped up into my 08 KX450 and with a good scrubbing and new plastics and graphics the bike actually looks pretty good for the year. I have no bike payment right now but I am trying to talk myself into spending an extra 5K for a new bike. I just don't know if it's worth it yet haha. I would most likely stick with a Kawi since green is my favorite color on a dirt bike. 

The 16-up bike is sooooo much better than the previous generation it is unreal. I put 130+ hrs on my 2013 and love that bike but I joke with my friends that I have to plan my passes out 3 corners in advance because there is no changing lines with that tugboat. 

I bought a '15 ktm 350 a year and a half ago and it so much more nimble than my '13 kxf. Just a great, fun bike. But then I bought a '17 kxf because of the rebates right now. Holy smokes!! This bike is as nimble as my 350, but with the awesome Kawi motor! Best bike I've ever ridden stock. My 350 I thought I'd keep forever is going up for sale!!

The 16-up bike is sooooo much better than the previous generation it is unreal. I put 130+ hrs on my 2013 and love that bike but I joke with my friends that I have to plan my passes out 3 corners in advance because there is no changing lines with that tugboat. 

I bought a '15 ktm 350 a year and a half ago and it so much more nimble than my '13 kxf. Just a great, fun bike. But then I bought a '17 kxf because of the rebates right now. Holy smokes!! This bike is as nimble as my 350, but with the awesome Kawi motor! Best bike I've ever ridden stock. My 350 I thought I'd keep forever is going up for sale!!

I have not really ridden any other 450s besides my 08 and I know the tugboat in the corner feeling lol. It's like the bike wants to keep going. Sounds like you really enjoy the 17 if your comparing it to a nice KTM. It also sounds like you think their is enough difference to justify spending the extra money on a 17 KX. I'm in that rut of well my 08 runs good and looks good why do I need a newer bike but then I think to myself the bike is 10 years old haha. Thanks for the input.

14 hours ago, skthom2320 said:

How much did you pick up your 17 for?  A bike shop in my state gave me an out the door price for a 17 at $7,267.

8 hours ago, IraqvetUSMC said:

How much did you pick up your 17 for?  A bike shop in my state gave me an out the door price for a 17 at $7,267.

I would have jumped at that. I paid more here in california but still under $8k otd. 

I would have jumped at that. I paid more here in california but still under $8k otd. 

I just seen kawi gives another $250 off for veterans so that would put it down to about $7,000. I'm sure everything in California is expensive lol. I would see if I could get them down more haha. Or throw in a warranty.

For those of you who are average weekend warriors who don't ride much. Have you gone from the older models to the 16+ with the new chassis and if so was it a huge difference? I'm just wondering if someone like me who isn't that good is going to notice the benefits of the new chassis. At some point I will get a new bike but not sure if I should hang on to my clean paid for 08 until I get better.

You will notice a difference, these new bikes are lighter and more powerful and very nimble. They are more responsive with fuel injection, and to me, they seem easier to ride. When I was on my old YZ450 it thought it was great. When I got on this new bike I realized how heavy it was and how much effort I had to use to ride it. Next time you go out to your local track ask if you can test out someones 16+ bike. Pretty sure someone will let you. 

You will notice a difference, these new bikes are lighter and more powerful and very nimble. They are more responsive with fuel injection, and to me, they seem easier to ride. When I was on my old YZ450 it thought it was great. When I got on this new bike I realized how heavy it was and how much effort I had to use to ride it. Next time you go out to your local track ask if you can test out someones 16+ bike. Pretty sure someone will let you. 

I haven't even bought a new bike and I feel like I have buyers remorse lol. I've never paid 7K for a bike and I would be financing the remainder after I sell my 08. I am glad to hear there is a noticeable difference with the new bikes. I'm at that point of well my bike is 10 years old but paid for and also my bike is 10 years old outdated. I just can't seem to make my mind up.

12 hours ago, IraqvetUSMC said:

I haven't even bought a new bike and I feel like I have buyers remorse lol. I've never paid 7K for a bike and I would be financing the remainder after I sell my 08. I am glad to hear there is a noticeable difference with the new bikes. I'm at that point of well my bike is 10 years old but paid for and also my bike is 10 years old outdated. I just can't seem to make my mind up.

Don't ever finance a dirt bike (or any disposable toy for that matter) unless you are planning to pay it off within a few months. Save up and just pick up a clean used 16. They will pop up if you are patient and you can save thousands. 

You will thank me when you are old like me. :-)

Edited by skthom2320
  • Like 1

Don't ever finance a dirt bike (or any disposable toy for that matter) unless you are planning to pay it off within a few months. Save up and just pick up a clean used 16. They will pop up if you are patient and you can save thousands. 

I would only do a 2 year maximum if I financed because I would have a down payment once I sold my bike. I finally have the wife's approval to buy a new bike but whenever I look at the clean bike in my garage I lose the battle lol. I could easily make the payments. It's the mental thought of owning a few grand on the bike. I have seen the new bikes in person and while I think they are nice I feel like their not as nice up close as the price tag says they are.

I would only do a 2 year maximum if I financed because I would have a down payment once I sold my bike. I finally have the wife's approval to buy a new bike but whenever I look at the clean bike in my garage I lose the battle lol. I could easily make the payments. It's the mental thought of owning a few grand on the bike. I have seen the new bikes in person and while I think they are nice I feel like their not as nice up close as the price tag says they are.