XR250 fork rebuild

So i'm just waiting on the seals and bushes for the forks and reading the clymer manual on how to reassemble the forks on my 1991 XR250.

Unless i'm blind, it makes no mention of when to add the oil. It does specify the amount and distance from the top but not if this is with cartridge in or out.

If the cartridge is out, won't the oil fall out the allen key bolt hole in the bottom. If the cartridge is in, might it be hard to measure the oil accurately ?

Whats the best technique here ?

You obviously want the cartridge in when you add the oil, but there should some added explanation on how to do it.  Been years since I did my old XR forks, but if I recal I think it was cartridge in, spring out, and stanchion tube collapsed into Outer Tube all the way (full bottom out condition).  Measure the oil distance and go from there.

If you are adding oil from a full tear down/cleaning I would just add the right amount and call it good.  Fluid level is more relevant when you are changing the oil but not doing a full tear down so there is usually some oil left in there.