2003 250f tough to kick

I was riding the bike all day and out of nowhere when I shut off the bike it got extremely tough to kick over again. Still starts in first or second kick but very difficult. Does anyone know what it could be?

Pull the valve cover and check the spring on the auto decomp cam.  The spring on the flyweight on the sprocket will sometimes shear or break.  I had it happen to my 03.  Check by pulling the flyweight out, it should pop back toward the center.  I Just bent another loop in the end that broke off, popped it into the hole on the sprocket and it was fixed, haven't had another issue.  

Edited by ronbuell
  • Like 1

Pull the valve cover and check the spring on the auto decomp cam.  The spring on the flyweight on the sprocket will sometimes shear or break.  I had it happen to my 03.  Check by pulling the flyweight out, it should pop back toward the center.  I Just bent another loop in the end that broke off, popped it into the hole on the sprocket and it was fixed, haven't had another issue.  

It took me a while to get back to the bike but I just checked and the decomp Spring is still in good condition and decomp still works

My two cents on this is, My 01 Wr250f was a utter beast to start and we had to do the Jetting God dance every time we went riding to get her to start properly. What I did to remedy this was try the Boysen Quickshot on the Carb and then put the 03 cam in and I have a starting ritual. The ritual is three twists of the throttle kick once through without much effort then kick her like normal. Normally starts right up. Mind you 01 to 03 have a bit of a motor difference but hey anything could happen. Hope this helps I know they are different bikes.

Sounds like time for a new auto decomp exhaust cam.  That being said, if you properly dial a pre 03 carb in, they aren't bad too start.  First kick every time.