Crazy question!

I have an 07 yz250 and an 01 yz250. The 07 has a blown engine but a good head and the 01 has a good engine and a bad head. My question is can I take the head off the 07 engine and put it on the 01 engine and then put the 01engine with the 07 head in the 07 frame?

Sent from my Z837VL using ThumperTalk mobile app

I would try the head first.

It should be obvious if the engine lines up or not.

The only thing different i believe is the crank.  But can use either or in either or . Other than that same engine man :thumbsup:

The only thing different i believe is the crank.  But can use either or in either or . Other than that same engine man 

Word, so soon I'll have an 07 yz250 frame with an 01 engine and 07 head. But will I need to use the cdi and coil off of the 01?

1 minute ago, 2strokebrapp said:

Word, so soon I'll have an 07 yz250 frame with an 01 engine and 07 head. But will I need to use the cdi and coil off of the 01?

No same thing I believe 

According to the yz smoker microfiche on this page the 00, 01 and 07 cylinder and head all have different part numbers but are very similar. The part number for the cylinder for the 00 is 5cu-11311-02-00 and the part number for the cylinder for the 07 is 5up-11311-20-00

• Like 1

Slight changes over 19 years of production but a ton of interchangeable parts. Head will swap fine. 

• Like 1

You r problem will arise when you try and slide the swing arm bolt through the 01 engine on the 07 frame. Otherwise youll be fine. Change the busings in the rear of engine (might need slight machining). Not sure. 

• Like 3

You r problem will arise when you try and slide the swing arm bolt through the 01 engine on the 07 frame. Otherwise youll be fine. Change the busings in the rear of engine (might need slight machining). Not sure. 

Shit I forgot about that. I work in a machine shop so I might be able to figure something out there but do you think I'll be able to just drill out what is there and make it work?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2strokebrapp said:

Shit I forgot about that. I work in a machine shop so I might be able to figure something out there but do you think I'll be able to just drill out what is there and make it work?

Might be able to swap bushings, I can't remember. 

5 minutes ago, P84ONE said:

As I understand it, the case castings are the same. Swap the bushings for the appropriate chassis. I personally haven't done it but that is my understanding.

• Like 2