Front sprocket wobble..??

So since I took on my 01 yz250 rebuild back to awesome I've gone through everything and right now am oreooong for new swing arm bearings so I have the swing arm off everything is clean, pulled the chain off and just wanted to fire it up so I Did, I notice the front sprocket when it is moving with the bike running it has a slight wobble and I mean very slight. This is going to be my woods bike but am going to replace everything on the bike eventually down to the last nut and keep it forever I love it but what does this front sprocket being a very tiny bit of wobble to it mean and is it going to be okay to ride like this? Has ran GREAT so far.

There is no play that I am aware of. It has very slight wobble. Maybe the shaft it rides on---hopefully not...how bad would that be and how long would it last if that were the case? I am fully invested in this bike now and won't stop putting money into it until it is 100%.

I have read about 3 different threads on different forums saying a little bit of wobble is normal. You can barely see it on mine.

• Like 1

so the shaft is bent - chain was probably too tight

which means a complete engine strip down - splitting the cases

Okay well since I have had it the chain has had proper tension. Can I at least run the motor until it needs a new top end?

SO I JUST CHECKED IT SINCE THE SWINGARM AND CHAIN ARE OFF. I CAN BARELY MOVE THE FRONT SPROCKET UP AND DOWN AND WOBBLE IT SIDE TO SIDE IF IM HOLDING THE TOP AND BOTTOM TEETH, IM TALKING JUST BARELY LIKE MAYBE 1 OR 2 MM. The nut seems tight for sure but I will have to fold over the washer and get a 32mm socket to remove it and check it. I think this is what is making it look like it is wobbling because if I move the sprocket inward and make sure it is not moving up or down and I mean barely as in 1 or 2 mm it looks to rotate straight when I move it by hand. Is this normal?

Not normal.

Your sprocket movement will destroy the splines on the shaft. It has already started to wear the shaft. The shaft may also be bent, as they are pretty soft. Happens from too tight of a chain.

You can install a new one, coating the splines in Red Threadlock and a new locking washer, to make it as snug as is possible.

Not to sound like a total nerd but I could never bring myself to start a bike without a chain on. No way to shut it down if something goes wrong.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kinger317 said:

Not to sound like a total nerd but I could never bring myself to start a bike without a chain on. No way to shut it down if something goes wrong.

:lol: Man you sounded like a NERD!JK! ;) I have done that many times. Smith & Wesson.:thumbsup:

• Like 1