Motorcycle industry welcomes news of 2040 ban on new petrol vehicles as “tremendous trigger” for electric bikes

I've heard preachers and politicians say there is an infinite amount of oil under ground that defies all physical and spatial realities. They say if you keep paying taxes it fills itself up.

That joke aside I think an affordable and performance oriented electric bike would be awesome. I think back to what could be done with rc cars as a kid and such. I'll probably too old to ride very fast by the time they are a standard.

• Like 1

I am quite certain that even though the wording doesn't indicate it, there will be a huge exclusion for mass transport vehicles, construction vehicles, heavy equipment, boats, etc etc.  So it really wont be a 'ban' for some people.  Which would be playing favorites, I would think. 

As far as practicality, this will never happen.  Electric motors are great but will never be able to practically do what the internal combustion engine does.  To this point, they haven't been able to really compete with IC engines on a realistic level, as far as convenience, dependability, cost, etc.  I highly doubt a mere 20 years will change that.  100 years from now maybe.

Range ,recharge time, and weight are the issues with electric motorcycles right now. I don't see 20 years being enough time to figure out how to get 500+ miles on one charge (or 100 miles and a 5 min recharge time without shore power) and keep the weight below 250 lbs for an off road bike. That is what it would take for me to even co wider purchasing one (assuming power is about the same or better than what is available now.

Does this supposed ban even include recreational vehicles that aren't licensed?

I'm not to concerned with bans in Britain.

That said, it's pretty clear the electric vehicle is the "wave of future".  

A problem I never hear anyone talk about when telling everyone how great the electric vehicles are.  Where does this power come from?  If we are going away from fossil fuels for transport, that means energy production is going to have to go WAY up.  

Seems to me a plan for producing the energy needed for all these new electric vehicles on the road would be a smart move.  But this is politics so.....

• Like 1

I'll be 77. I don't care now, won't care then. I may still be riding my 2005 enduro, Lord willing and the creek don't rise!

They will find a way to make better fuel out of things you grow.  Batteries are best left for someone doing 18 holes and then parking their cart for the night.

Yeah, this is a UK thing. Going to be a lot harder to "ban all petroleum powered" vehicles in a much larger land mass country like the US. I'll be 83 in 2040, doubtful I'll be doing much riding by then anyway. :rolleyes:

I remember back to the 90s they said by 2000 the production of 2 strokes would be stoped.....but they improved on technology and emissions and are still making them.

I now see ktm has figured out fuel injection for 2 strokes ( TPI ) and has improved emissions again.   I get the feeling the pollys put these statements out there to get people thinking and in some way preparing for change even if not for a long time.    also since when has a politician done what they say theyr going to???

• Like 1

I'd much rather have so few moving parts compared to an internal combustion engine.  Electric motors just make an ICE look like a primitive way of propulsion.  ICE's are like 20-40% efficient compared to electric motors at around 90%.  Efficient, and instant torque too. 

There will probably be a huge acceleration in motor and battery development for personal vehicles because until recently, combustion engines have almost 100% dominated that market.  Car manufacturers will be forced to make more electric models before motorcycles too.   I don't know where battery tech will be in 20 years, but in in the last 20 years I've seen a huge change in electric RC cars from nickel batteries to lithium with much more power-weight ratio, and also from brushed to more efficient brushless motors.

Edited by GerGa

Harley is developing an electric powered variable output, hand operated, noise producing, Rumble Emanator so that their riders can still be obnoxious jerks at stop lights.

• Like 2

Bring it on. But first a simple question: Where is all the electricity going to come from to juice up hundreds of millions of car and motorcycle batteries a day?

Edited by 76xtdrvr

Everyone thinks electric will the the way of the future ..... until they are forced to live with the gigantic downsides of electric vehicles.  You know, simple stuff like extremely limited range, long charge times and horrendously expensive battery pack replacement costs.

Electricity may be relatively cheap now but when tens of millions of vehicles are being charged all at the same time, elec costs are going to go through the roof.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, motovita said:

Harley is developing an electric powered variable output, hand operated, noise producing, Rumble Emanator so that their riders can still be obnoxious jerks at stop lights.

the throttle on a Harley  is already just a volume control.....isn't it???

• Like 1

According to my calculations if we pump 2.35x as many hydrocarbons into the atmosphere as we are currently doing it will block enough sunlight to cool the earth and in effect reverse global warming.  I was going to buy a Prius but now I am getting a lifted, extended cab pickup with the biggest motor available.  I don't really like trucks but I want to do my part for humanity.

• Like 4