05 CR250 PWK Needle A715/289R or CEK or other

Have an extra 05 CR250 that just sits around so I'm going to set it up for trail riding.  Tight stuff, higher elevation.  I've done the PWK conversion before on a CR125 with very good results, figured I'd do it on the 250 as well.  I've got the carb off a 2001 YZ250 coming my way, should have a #7 slide.  I've got all the pilots from 40-52 and a bazzilion mains as well.  My house is at 2300 feet and I usually go up from there.  Figured I'd start out with 48 pilot and 178 main.  Still can't decide on the needle.  Lots of recommendations over the years but I thought I'd solicit some input once again.  Favorite needle?

Edited by mxaniac
typo

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 11:58 AM, mxaniac said:

Have an extra 05 CR250 that just sits around so I'm going to set it up for trail riding.  Tight stuff, higher elevation.  I've done the PWK conversion before on a CR125 with very good results, figured I'd do it on the 250 as well.  I've got the carb off a 2001 YZ250 coming my way, should have a #7 slide.  I've got all the pilots from 40-52 and a bazzilion mains as well.  My house is at 2300 feet and I usually go up from there.  Figured I'd start out with 48 pilot and 178 main.  Still can't decide on the needle.  Lots of recommendations over the years but I thought I'd solicit some input once again.  Favorite needle?

I would  use an NEDW needle in #3,  with a 42 pilot and a 170 main.

The N3EJ needle that comes in that 01 YZ carb is also pretty good. You will be able to use it with  the 48 pilot and 178/175 main.

Stay away from the 715/289 needle. It's just not very good in that bike.

The starting diameter of the CEK may be a little lean in your bike, if you want to try a single taper needle, try the CEJ and start with the 48 and 178/175 main.

• Like 3

For offroad riding, I'm using a straight taper needle for a more linear throttle response.

Carb: PWK36 (off '06 KTM 250XC), DDK, #2 or #3 clp, 40 or 42 pilot , 168 or 170 main

W/ that single DDK needle, I've ridden 660ft-2000ft elev (TX,OK,LA), 4500-8500 ft elev (NM desert & high mountain), and 8k-10,6k Ft elev (all 4 corners of CO) for past 8 yrs & 500+hrs. Not one single plug has ever fouled up on me. Starts on 1st kick all the time. Pulls to the moon.

Stock '05 pipe, 13:50 gears, 80 hrs between top ends.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rtv said:

I would  use an NEDW needle in #3,  with a 42 pilot and a 170 main.

The N3EJ needle that comes in that 01 YZ carb is also pretty good. You will be able to use it with  the 48 pilot and 178/175 main.

Stay away from the 715/289 needle. It's just not very good in that bike.

The starting diameter of the CEK may be a little lean in your bike, if you want to try a single taper needle, try the CEJ and start with the 48 and 178/175 main.

NEDW, Suzuki needle right?  Are those the ones you run a smaller main with because the tip is so small?

6 hours ago, jeddclampette said:

For offroad riding, I'm using a straight taper needle for a more linear throttle response.

Carb: PWK36 (off '06 KTM 250XC), DDK, #2 or #3 clp, 40 or 42 pilot , 168 or 170 main

W/ that single DDK needle, I've ridden 660ft-2000ft elev (TX,OK,LA), 4500-8500 ft elev (NM desert & high mountain), and 8k-10,6k Ft elev (all 4 corners of CO) for past 8 yrs & 500+hrs. Not one single plug has ever fouled up on me. Starts on 1st kick all the time. Pulls to the moon.

Stock '05 pipe, 13:50 gears, 80 hrs between top ends.

Interesting, so same diameter as the CEK but with a sharper taper angle and the taper starts sooner.  I have a 38mm though, that would probably account for the taper difference.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mxaniac said:

You guys with the NEDW running #7 or #8 slide?

You are going to want to use a #7 with that (NEDW) needle. If you are using a #8 slide, use a richer diameter NECH needle.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2017 at 4:33 PM, rtv said:

You are going to want to use a #7 with that (NEDW) needle. If you are using a #8 slide, use a richer diameter NECH needle.

I'm running NECH #3 with a #7 slide in summer and at elevation.  In the winter I will probably go to NEDH #3.  I found they have more torque off the bottom and run cooler when doing a bunch of hill climbing.  The W needles always felt lean off the bottom to me.  I'm considering playing with different tapers for the fun of it.  Any other triple taper suggestions?  I know some here like the N3WJ I think?