Left Drz sitting for months?

As I have been collecting parts for my drz 400sm, I have let it sit in my mechanics garage for a few months. Should I expect battery failure? If so how might I combat this? Should my first upgrade be a lithium powered battery? If not how might I check the battery life? Would you assume that I will need a battery charge bike is less than a year old

A few months shouldn't hurt your battery.  May need a top off but shouldn't be dead.

Personally I am on the fence on Lithium batteries.  Only real savings I see is weight and size.  They seem to last a little longer but not enough to justify cost. If the bike is running right you don't really need the extra juice some of them can put out either.

Your battery is probably dead, but I doubt its ruined. Do yourself a favor and invest in a battery tender and keep it plugged in when not riding. If the battery has failed, I only recommend Yuasa if sticking to lead acid (I use an oversized Yuasa YTZ10S which requires a custom bracket). Any of the Lithium batteries will work but only EarthX I think has the on-board circuitry to properly care for it. The rest will require your attention on occasion depending on your riding habits.

Why would it be dead? If nothing is draining it charge shouldn't change much over a few months.

I leave my street bike in the shed without a tender from October until may and it has fired right up last 3 years.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

Why would it be dead? If nothing is draining it charge shouldn't change much over a few months.

I leave my street bike in the shed without a tender from October until may and it has fired right up last 3 years.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

I believe the speedo does have a parasitic drain
  • Like 1

DRZ s and SM have a ~150mA draw from the clock its not unusual to find the bike wont start after sitting 2 weeks PT is right on get a tender or disconnect the battery or snip the clock wire.

also do the free power mod it really is free power unfortunately its volts not horses :)

• Like 2

On 7/26/2017 at 1:28 PM, HansLanda said:

I believe the speedo does have a parasitic drain

It does, but it's negligible compared to poor wiring or grounding issues. FPM is the way to go to get every last bit of juice from the reg/rect.

Running your charging system straight to your harness without a fusible link is asking for it. :facepalm:

We’re talking horrendous electrical wiring mistakes that not only lead to darkness, but disaster. Un-protected circuits void of fuses or circuit breakers, vulnerable wiring subject to chaffing and short circuits, way too many accessories on one circuit, HID headlights without relays,.................

https://www.howacarworks.com/accessories/checking-and-replacing-fuses