Fork Spring Rate Question

I decided to stay with the open cart. forks and just going to have them revalved and replace the oil. My question is the stock spring is rated 175 - 190 lbs, I am 174 with all my gear, backpack, water bottle, ect. Is it better to be on the heavier or lighter side of the springs? (should i go for the 155-174 or stay stock)

thx for the opinion/help

can you get the correct sag numbers with what you have?It is my understanding that the Beta spring chart is a bit off and on the light side.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, monstersumo said:

I decided to stay with the open cart. forks and just going to have them revalved and replace the oil. My question is the stock spring is rated 175 - 190 lbs, I am 174 with all my gear, backpack, water bottle, ect. Is it better to be on the heavier or lighter side of the springs? (should i go for the 155-174 or stay stock)

thx for the opinion/help

Better to be on the heavier side with the springs.  I'm 150 in street clothes, maybe 165 ish with gear and I'm using stock springs on a 390 race and it's perfect, static sag 35mm, race sag 100+/- and forks feel perfect as well.  To me it's much harsher being undersprung than oversprung. 

• Like 2

Stock is good.

As da' Yooper said ( :thumbsup:) look for race sag around 100mm out back (we prefer a little less, in the 95-98 range) and something less than 35mm static sag. Fitted length of your spring when you achieve your preload numbers on the back should be more than 250mm, or it's time to go stiffer.

Up front the stock springs should be about perfect.

• Like 1