My friend bought a brand new Yz450f and he said he started noticing a scratching sound coming from the front brake science day one. According to him, overtime his front brakes have gotten worse and worse. Currently the brake lever can almost touch the grips when you pull it making it feel  "squishy" and it brakes pretty bad. I tried to help diagnose the problem but I don't know much about brakes. Any ideas of what it could be? Thanks in advance.

P.s- he's only owned the bike for like 3 or 4 months and he's the first owner.

Edited by CallMeAnsel

4 hours ago, CallMeAnsel said:

My friend bought a brand new Yz450f and he said he started noticing a scratching sound coming from the front brake science day one. According to him, overtime his front brakes have gotten worse and worse. Currently the brake lever can almost touch the grips when you pull it making it feel  "squishy" and it brakes pretty bad. I tried to help diagnose the problem but I don't know much about brakes. Any ideas of what it could be? Thanks in advance.

Change the fluid, bleed the system, and de-contaminate the pads and disc. Most likely you have introduced air or water into the system.

If you you do not 'bed' the pads when they are fresh, they can glaze over, making stopping much harder.

When you put the pads back in, you should put copper grease on the backside, and tighten down the spring clips so the pads 'snap' in.

If the scratching sound only shows up when you apply the brakes, then I would be looking at brake pad fitment.  Not familiar with Yamaha, but Honda has a spring steel plate above the pads to hold them tight.  Make sure it's not out of place. 

I would want to know what is going on before I rode again.

Even if he's not riding Mx with airtime, if the front brake was to seize even on flat ground, it could be ugly.

Sometimes when a bike is at a dealership, it can get robbed of parts to get a job out of the shop, if so, maybe it wasn't put back together correctly.