any help lowering a xr 650 l

Howdy,I have a tall xrl and I am not.

The star nuts are about 3 threads from the top of the shock.

I bought a soupys turnbuckle link and no effect. When I took the link off that was on it ,

it was purty anodized devol link. Bike was tall with that. The soupys is supposed to give you a 2" drop .

Didn't happen . Need some help. Just got a lowering corbin gel seat used . I think it will give me an 1 1/2.

Im 5"6 and don't tell me I bought the wrong bike. I have a complete shock and linkage from an 83 xl 600,

does anyone know if the xl shock is shorter than the xrl ? Thanks .

I bought the Kouba link and it dropped the bike at least 1.5 inches, my mistake was buying the kenda tire that is a taller profile tire, so next tire I get will be a lower profile tire and my bike will lower even more, I can almost flat foot the bike now.

IMG_0780.JPG

IMG_0781.JPG

Thanks , do you know anything about the color of the rear shock spring? Mine is yellow. Is that stock? When I took what I thought was a factory link it was when I wiped the grease to be a devol red anodized link already on it . I put a soupys link on supposed good for 2 inches . I just put my new used Corbin lowering gel seat on. It slopes drastically to the tank. the stock seat actually is taller at the tank than the rear. I have to change my kickstand before I take it out .

i borrowed the front master cyl. From the pig to get my old bikes front brake working. Gotta put that back on piggy too? Saw plate on bike . You in fla. I'm in Stuart area .

3 hours ago, bobcan said:

Thanks , do you know anything about the color of the rear shock spring? Mine is yellow. Is that stock? When I took what I thought was a factory link it was when I wiped the grease to be a devol red anodized link already on it . I put a soupys link on supposed good for 2 inches . I just put my new used Corbin lowering gel seat on. It slopes drastically to the tank. the stock seat actually is taller at the tank than the rear. I have to change my kickstand before I take it out .

i borrowed the front master cyl. From the pig to get my old bikes front brake working. Gotta put that back on piggy too? Saw plate on bike . You in fla. I'm in Stuart area .

My pig is a 2016 Honda stopped painting the spring yellow a few years ago, I live in the Keys but will be moving to Tennessee soon.

On 7/26/2017 at 3:34 PM, bobcan said:

...Need some help...

Just to throw out some other potential lowering options; he's not on here but LexLeroy over on Advrider lowered his rear shock internally and installed shortened XR400 forks as well as a low seat.  I can't remember what his seat height ended up but it seems to me it was 4+ inches lower than stock.  A picture of his is below.  Not much reference in it but you can definitely tell its quite a bit lower.

I'm not sure how aggressive your riding gets but be careful with the lowering link if you are aggressive and/or you pack a good amount of extra weight if touring.  The lowering link doesn't reduce suspension travel and you can crash the tire pretty hard up into the fender support and such.

LexLeroy lowered L.jpg

Edited by Hollerhead

Hey bro thanks for the info . There was a guy on a thread about putting a short pvc pipe I'm talkin maybe a 1" or 3/4 diameter whatever fits in the fork tube , and maybe 1/2 to 1" tall , whatever you want to limit the fork travel, and he would put a little pvc pipe piece in the shock also and he would have you ship your shock to him and he would do the work and put the nitrogen back in it when he was done . I either did a search on the forum and or googled it and this guy came up which was an old thread on  thumpertalk itself around 2012 . By 2013 was the last post I could find from him.

Hey bro thanks for the info . There was a guy on a thread about putting a short pvc pipe I'm talkin maybe a 1" or 3/4 diameter whatever fits in the fork tube , and maybe 1/2 to 1" tall , whatever you want to limit the fork travel, and he would put a little pvc pipe piece in the shock also and he would have you ship your shock to him and he would do the work and put the nitrogen back in it when he was done . I either did a search on the forum and or googled it and this guy came up which was an old thread on  thumpertalk itself around 2012 . By 2013 was the last post I could find from him.

I've never seen that guy but adding internal spacers is what you need to do;  add a longer, or I'd say thicker, travel limiter to the rod inside the front and rear.  Shorter springs and a fluid level adjustment are necessary to do it right in the front. 

If you dont ride dirt, put street suspension on it...far from the cheapest option. But no doubt works. I have two xrs. One all dirt, one all street. One with dirt suspension, one with street suspension. Im 6'1" with a leg injury, and I cant kick not one of my dirt bikes over. Ill be building an L next! The street xr is like mid inner thigh. Flat footed all day. The only kickstart bike I have that I can actually kickstart. 

I am putting the stock shock back on it though. After trying a cbr929 shock, thats a great shock but its way too short. So I got a new progressive spring for the stock shock. Added pressure in the bladder. Eye to eye, this is the size I want. The stock shock. But my r1 forks will stay. I gotta say having a fatty Clarke between my legs is comforting.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but if youre never on dirt, get a street bikes suspension on it. That motors awesome everywhere 

Edited by notoriousE-R-I-C

2 hours ago, Hollerhead said:

I've never seen that guy but adding internal spacers is what you need to do;  add a longer, or I'd say thicker, travel limiter to the rod inside the front and rear.  Shorter springs and a fluid level adjustment are necessary to do it right in the front. 

Yeah that's the method the guy was talking about . At this pointi don't want to cut my parts up, and 

I sure can't do all that for free by myself . I don't have fab skills. thanks for getting back .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, notoriousE-R-I-C said:

If you dont ride dirt, put street suspension on it...far from the cheapest option. But no doubt works. I have two xrs. One all dirt, one all street. One with dirt suspension, one with street suspension. Im 6'1" with a leg injury, and I cant kick not one of my dirt bikes over. Ill be building an L next! The street xr is like mid inner thigh. Flat footed all day. The only kickstart bike I have that I can actually kickstart. 

I am putting the stock shock back on it though. After trying a cbr929 shock, thats a great shock but its way too short. So I got a new progressive spring for the stock shock. Added pressure in the bladder. Eye to eye, this is the size I want. The stock shock. But my r1 forks will stay. I gotta say having a fatty Clarke between my legs is comforting.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but if youre never on dirt, get a street bikes suspension on it. That motors awesome everywhere 

Oh yeah I forgot to say, I just got

a near new acerbis 5.8 . I put it on the thump classifieds today . I haven't put it on my bike but it came in a 25x24 x 24 box , huge."

can you shoot me a pic of your bike with the Clark tank to me ? Maybe it will take away the gargantua shock I felt when I took it outa da box ! Thanks.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Backwoods-Bomber said:

Have you compared the length of the devol link to the soupy's link?

Sent from my SM-G930V using ThumperTalk mobile app

Yes the soupys warns not t stretch it past 4" on center. The devol is 3 1/2 . strangely enough I have a stock 83 xl 600 shock with linkage complete and stock link on that is also 3 1/2 ". I thought the whole shock and spring may be shorter than my stock xrl shock and linkage . Have you measured your stock link on an xrl ? I'm going to sell the devol link for $65.00 plus shipping . I don't need it, you use your own bearing bushing and caps from your stock set up and just put it inside the 2 end holes of the devol and your stock bolts still work on it too .

Yes the soupys warns not t stretch it past 4" on center. The devol is 3 1/2 . strangely enough I have a stock 83 xl 600 shock with linkage complete and stock link on that is also 3 1/2 ". I thought the whole shock and spring may be shorter than my stock xrl shock and linkage . Have you measured your stock link on an xrl ? I'm going to sell the devol link for $65.00 plus shipping . I don't need it, you use your own bearing bushing and caps from your stock set up and just put it inside the 2 end holes of the devol and your stock bolts still work on it too .

I have an xr600, not an xrl so I can't guarantee that my links would be the same as stock xrl links. A half inch difference in length is huge! That soupy's link should have definitely lowered it a noticeable amount.

Did you have the link extended to 4 inches when you tried it?

1 hour ago, Backwoods-Bomber said:

I have an xr600, not an xrl so I can't guarantee that my links would be the same as stock xrl links. A half inch difference in length is huge! That soupy's link should have definitely lowered it a noticeable amount.

Did you have the link extended to 4 inches when you tried it?

Yes all the way out. I'm 5'6.

I got a Corbin gel lowering seat . It's at least 1 1/2 maybe 2 "s shorter than stock 2 tone seat . My stock seat goes uphill to tank and the rear

Slopes down. When I filled the stock tank , it got wobbly as hell . I couldn't bleve dat ,

I've had almost 10 bikes but this one is BIIIIGG ! Gotta get my 17s on it ! I'm not a woods guy. Love supermoto look.

Had 17s on my Klr 250 . Put back stock to sell .

• Like 1

Oh yeah I forgot to say, I just got

a near new acerbis 5.8 . I put it on the thump classifieds today . I haven't put it on my bike but it came in a 25x24 x 24 box , huge."

can you shoot me a pic of your bike with the Clark tank to me ? Maybe it will take away the gargantua shock I felt when I took it outa da box ! Thanks.

I put a 4.0 on the dirt . I didn't think Id be as dirt nimble with the big ass 4.7, which is on the street. Which took more leaning into, thedirt xr is in and out of many situations, not just leaning through a twisty. So I liked the bigger tank for street. Wouldn't like it for dirt...that 5.8 sounds insanely huge. I wouldn't like that for dirt, but street leaning maybe. Like riding a horse versus riding your dog. I feel planted cause of my crotch, not my butt, plus in dirt I stand more. So a bigger tank I loved on the street.

Ill take a pic tomorrow of the 4.7