Norththumberland, Ganaraska, and OFTR

I was wondering what the deal is with the OFTR,

As I am aware, you dont need a OFTR membership to ride at gannaraska but you do at norththumberland.

I have been trying to do things legally, I have insurance, green plate etc... but it seems everytime I find somewhere to ride there is something else you need.

So my question is, Do you need and OFTR membership to ride Norththumberland trails and what is the OFTR? Do they check for memberships on the trails?

I kind of want to second this post. I have the same question. Does is mean that where one needs and has OFTR membership, it is free to ride (like northumberland)?

If not, it seems like it is another made up expense, that stuff should be voluntary.

1 hour ago, badpeter said:

I kind of want to second this post. I have the same question. Does is mean that where one needs and has OFTR membership, it is free to ride (like northumberland)?

If not, it seems like it is another made up expense, that stuff should be voluntary.

to many memberships and payments, just let me ride!!!!! 

Good Morning to anyone following this post. I am the current president of the OFTR and my name is Art Ash. The question is a common one the OFTR receives all the time. The Ganaraska Forest is a Tract of land owned by the Ganaraska River Conservation Authority. The GRCA uses the fees they collect from the users to help maintain the forest and the forest centre. The OFTR has tried many times in the past to create a partnership agreement with the GRCA and have to date not had any success. The other forests mentioned have partnered with the OFTR in the interest of keeping riding areas open. The OFTR with a lot of help from the member clubs and volunteers create trails, maintain trails and steward the trails in various areas of the province. The OFTR usage agreements provide great value to the forest management in addition to all the work mentioned the OFTR also provides additional insurance coverage for members using the forests and for the forest management. Many of the areas that have land use agreements with the OFTR would not have any motorcycle usage if it were not for the agreements. The OFTR works constantly to increase the trail networks for ORMs in Ontario. For the price of a dinner out you have a years worth of usage on a trail network that covers hundreds and hundreds of kilometres. 

Remember too that the OFTR is a volunteer group that puts in a lot of personal time and expense for the sake of the sport in Ontario. All board members pay for membership just like every other member. 

If you have any further questions or just want to know more information please go to our website at OFTR.ca or you can email me at art @ OFTR.ca (no caps and no spaces). 

Thanks

Art

• Like 2

Thank you for extended reply...

Does it mean that OFTR membership gives you unlimited access to those trails for no additional fees?  Does it have to be a riding event for some of these trails to be able to use them?

The website is being a bit vague on what is one getting exactly, in what areas.

1 hour ago, badpeter said:

Does it mean that OFTR membership gives you unlimited access to those trails for no additional fees?  Does it have to be a riding event for some of these trails to be able to use them?

Yes, OFTR membership gives you unlimited access to all the trails mentioned on this page (https://oftr.ca/legal-riding-areas.php).

On 2017-07-29 at 0:40 PM, badpeter said:

The other forests that require OFTR membership are Larose and Northumberland. Again with your annual fee you will be legal to ride all the approved motorcycle trails in those forests. 

If you wish to see where membership dollars go come out to the Orr Lake Tract of Simcoe County this Saturday and you will see the new single track that was installed this year. It is approximately 50 km. 

The OFTR is not out to make money just to make dirt biking in Ontario even more amazing than it already is. 

I hope this all helps explain who we are and why one would want to join. We have over 2500 members this year already. We can always use more members and we could always use more volunteers as well. 

Thanks

Art

• Like 1