Hard to shift XR200

Lol, it happens ? 

Mine shifts up smooth as can be. But when I'm stopped and try putting it into 1st it takes a number of kicks on the shifter before it'll go into gear, and when I'm riding and try kicking down gears, it takes some convincing. Not every time, but enough to know there's a problem. Thanks for the input Al ? 

IMO the most important indicator of a star wheel issue is a consistent problem with only one shift, could be either up or down with any gear. Although the most shifted gears seem to most likely, my experiences have been 2nd and 3rd so YMMV.  
As OSA posted; there are other causes of shifting issues that are easy to check before tearing into the engine. 
I've found using the clutch makes shifting much easier, it is certainly kinder to the drive train. 

I typically always use the clutch when riding, with the exception of the occasional quick shift, or at the drag strip. Never downshifted without the clutch. I already have the star and plate, so I'm gonna swap them out, and hopefully it solves the problem to where I don't have to split the cases, cuz I might not know what to look for if I do. Time will tell. I was gonna get the bike from my friend's storage today and tear into it, but we're having storms and I have nowhere covered took work currently ?

It wasn't clear weather the shifter was moving up/down and the gears not shifting or weather the actual shifter wouldn't move. If the shifter is moving but the gears aren't shifting then it's definitely the star and plate. What happens is that when the parts get a little worn the plate 'skips' over the dogs on the shift star and the shift drum isn't rotated so the gears don't shift. easy fix: new star and plate. I thought about undercutting the plate and dogs to prevent the edges of the parts getting rounded and making shifting more positive but I've never tried it. I just slapped in the new parts.

• Like 1

On mine the lever would not move upward when speed shifting trying to stay on top of the sand. This track had good, fast dirt leading to a near stop 90+ degree left hand off camber into 3 feet deep river sand. Needed to get on top fast and stay there. I think Al was right about the gear lash in sand conditions and flywheel effect. I don't recall ever having shift issues on solid ground or other conditions other than that crappy sand. Have not had time to ride again or check out star and plate yet. Thanks for all input!