Does kickstart damage the engine?

Greetings.

I have kickstarter added on my drz400s 2005, do you think it is smarter to throw away the battery and starting stuff(I don't know much, beginner rider)  to make the bike lighter? I realized that I rarely use the electricity to start the bike, kick-starting feels amazing, I sometimes want to ride the bike for few minutes to just start it with a good kick :D. Am I doing wrong?Should I use it only in necessary situations?

Thanks.

If it cough stalls when hot, or tips over flooding the motor you'll appreciate not having to kick it back to life. I'd leave it.

• Like 1

i had an early dr650 a long time ago...it was  akick start only...  after about 6 months i developed so sevre back pain i went to the DR.  he told me i pulled a gluteus muscle (thats DR talk for my arse)  he asked what i might be doing that would cause that....it was kicking over that 650 10 times a day.

The kick makes a nice back up but theres a reason it comes w the magic button especially if you stall it half way up a steep hill !  The kick wont damage the engine so use it as often as you like.

Edited by RetroRanger

I would leave it. There will be a time when the novelty of kicking will wear off and as mentioned, flooded or swamped, you'll be glad to have the button.

Even if you remove the starter motor you still should keep the battery or at least some sort of a battery. The electrical system will like it.  Consider how much weight you might save by removing he starter motor and adding a light weight battery.  Will it really make a difference?

Just leave it.      You get a batch of bad gas or flood it really bad and you'll be kicking yourself if you get rid of it.

I loved kicking my bike but now it's not that exciting I like rolling up to my friends and pretending to kick my bike then just hit the starter and thire pos won't start