Cheap Race Collar or Neck Brace

There are other neck brace topics but none of them answered my question. I ride dual sport and bail a good bit in the woods (at slower speeds).

For spilling off my bike at lower speeds do I really need the $400+ neck brace or will a race collar for $60 - $100 be fine? Comfort is a consideration, if the cheaper race collars annoy me I know I won't wear it. I understand that people forget they are wearing the $600 Atlas neck brace but am frankly not willing to pay that much for the type of riding I do.

Will this suffice?

evs-r4-race-collar-black.thumb.jpg.6d96d5f970d40def0a345ab80313582d.jpg

Or do I really need this?

gpx-5-5-neck-brace-orange-s-m.thumb.jpg.8100b90b778158a90dafbf0c629c17d5.jpg

Edited by Kompact
Pics

Neck brace.  I only ride trails and it has saved my bacon more than once.  I recommend the Atlas, light and very comfortable, you don't even know its there.  I have an Atlas, my youngest son has an A Star, and my middle son has a Leatt.  I wore a neck roll for a long time, that thing was so uncomfortable compared to my Atlas.

• Like 1

I have the Atlas and I don't really notice it's there. Also you don't have to shell out $600 for one either. The Atlas air is on clearance at Motosport for $263.99 right now. I think I gave even less than that for mine as I bought it in January when they were really discounting the previous years models. Just start watching closeouts now that the 2018 stuff is starting to come out and you may catch a good deal.

• Like 1

I've been wearing these for several years.

I'm no engineer, but I think it's a compromise between to stiff and no giving, and nothing at all.

s-l1000.jpg

There are other neck brace topics but none of them answered my question. I ride dual sport and bail a good bit in the woods (at slower speeds).
For spilling off my bike at lower speeds do I really need the $400+ neck brace or will a race collar for $60 - $100 be fine? Comfort is a consideration, if the cheaper race collars annoy me I know I won't wear it. I understand that people forget they are wearing the $600 Atlas neck brace but am frankly not willing to pay that much for the type of riding I do.

Will this suffice?
evs-r4-race-collar-black.thumb.jpg.6d96d5f970d40def0a345ab80313582d.jpg

Or do I really need this?
gpx-5-5-neck-brace-orange-s-m.thumb.jpg.8100b90b778158a90dafbf0c629c17d5.jpg

Craigslist bro.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

I've got the EVS R4 and do really like it. I also forgot it was there while using it. I like it and think it will be better then nothing in most situations.

My issue now is I ordered and EVS comp suit and I don't know what hydration pack to use with both.

RacerX's David Pingree recently answered a question on his Ask Ping section on the site about neck braces. He brought up the interesting point where they have found neck braces to be almost as dangerous as they are effective due to a leverage action when you crash. Which i can only assume is why they aren't pushed more at the pro level and possibly why you don't see every pro wearing one. Just food for thought before you make your decision.

• Like 2

RacerX's David Pingree recently answered a question on his Ask Ping section on the site about neck braces. He brought up the interesting point where they have found neck braces to be almost as dangerous as they are effective due to a leverage action when you crash. Which i can only assume is why they aren't pushed more at the pro level and possibly why you don't see every pro wearing one. Just food for thought before you make your decision.

Good info.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

10 hours ago, 505 YZ125 said:

Fake news.  Look at both Atlas and Leatt's sites.  They have done extensive testing.  It really pisses me off that this fallacy keeps getting recycled.  In other words this David guy has his head up his ass.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper

I have a simple EVS collar/brace as pictured in the first thread,

perhaps not the fanciest or greatest protection but when riding in really rough & rocky trails

it really controls sudden head / helmet jerks that would otherwise hurt my neck.

You really get used to riding with one and would not do without afterwards.

The drawback with that EVS model is the large rear 'paddle' support which doesn't quite

fit with many chest protectors or impact vests. (I had to modify my Fox Titan vest to fit it)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Fake news.  Look at both Atlas and Leatt's sites.  They have done extensive testing.  It really pisses me off that this fallacy keeps getting recycled.  In other words this David guy has his head up his ass.

http://racerxonline.com/2017/07/07/ask-ping

heres the link. 

I don't deny that they have done extensive research. But Atlas and leatt aren't going to advertise that little Timmy from nowhereville USA was more injured due to his neck brace either. Same argument has been made for this or that crash while wearing seat belts or not wearing seat belts. But law says I have to wear one so I do. 

I also know that extensive research was put into spine boards for EMS. More recent extensive research is showing it could be more harmful. Who knows... 

i hardly think a former pro, firefighter paramedic with his own Column in a big name magazine has his "head up his ass" but that was his opinion and you are also entitled to your own. 

13 minutes ago, 505 YZ125 said:

http://racerxonline.com/2017/07/07/ask-ping

heres the link. 

I don't deny that they have done extensive research. But Atlas and leatt aren't going to advertise that little Timmy from nowhereville USA was more injured due to his neck brace either. Same argument has been made for this or that crash while wearing seat belts or not wearing seat belts. But law says I have to wear one so I do. 

I also know that extensive research was put into spine boards for EMS. More recent extensive research is showing it could be more harmful. Who knows... 

i hardly think a former pro, firefighter paramedic with his own Column in a big name magazine has his "head up his ass" but that was his opinion and you are also entitled to your own. 

"Some people argue that the braces create a lever and, in certain crash situations, could cause more serious injuries than the crash itself. Others feel like the restriction of the brace makes them more likely to crash."

Some people argue.  How about citing some facts and studies David, otherwise you are talking out of your hat.

Restriction of the neck brace? :lol: Apparently this clown has never worn one of the modern ones.  No Leatt or Atlas poses any restriction at all, you don't even realize it's there until it comes into play.  THAT is what extensive scientific testing gets you, not some guy spouting misguided opinions.

He's totally full of crap.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper

13 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

"Some people argue that the braces create a lever and, in certain crash situations, could cause more serious injuries than the crash itself. Others feel like the restriction of the brace makes them more likely to crash."

Some people argue.  How about citing some facts and studies David, otherwise you are talking out of your hat.

Restriction of the neck brace? :lol: Apparently this clown has never worn one of the modern ones.  No Leatt or Atlas poses any restriction at all, you don't even realize it's there until it comes into play.  THAT is what extensive scientific testing gets you, not some guy spouting misguided opinions.

He's totally full of crap.

So... if they're so good then why aren't they mandatory like boots and helmets yet?

3 minutes ago, 505 YZ125 said:

So... if they're so good then why aren't they mandatory like boots and helmets yet?

I wonder that myself.

Actually, I don't think most sanctioning bodies have changed their mandatory equipment rules in ages.  Bears some looking at, but since I don't race I really could care less.  I just hate to see bad info propagated.

My son where's this and swears by it as comfortable and safe! Says it helps him every crash to keep his head straight and not flop around but does complain it's tuff looking back, fine by me!

1501269808657734566035.jpg

• Like 1

Really depends on how much you value your neck vertebrae........

I found a bunch of people saying that a brace can act as a fulcrum, leverage your head and kill you. Another said the braces can dig into the ground and the edge itself can break your neck (I thought they were supposed to break away). I've also read that one of Chad weeds buddies got run over and the brace shattered, lacerated his neck and he bled out. A bunch of guys also said the thoracic brace, especially on the leatts can break your back and paralyze you....

Despite all this, I bought a new 2017 air on sale from cycle city for $170 shipped. I have never worn one but purchased this one because I realize there's sometimes nothing I can do to save a crash and keep myself off my head. I know I'm not invincible. I read a ton and found that atlas seems to be the best as far as design and comfort. Comfort is a big deal to me.

I'm gonna try to force myself to get used to it even if I don't like it because all in all, I believe it has a better chance of helping rather than hurting. Even if it only works as intended sometimes, I'll take any help I can get when it comes to saving my neck. I think it would take a truly freak accident to do any harm. I know they can't test for every situation with it flopping around but I do believe that it could save me someday. It's mainly for my family so they don't have to take up wiping my ass for me.

I have a question whether I should use the straps or not? I would like to avoid wearing the straps but I was thinking that when the brace flops around or shifts during a crash is when it can become dangerous because I think they only test it with it sitting in the correct position. Does it defeat the purpose of the brace if I don't wear the straps?

Edited by Casing-daily

On 7/28/2017 at 7:46 AM, cjjeepercreeper said:

While I think the comment about what pros do to be complete BS, I have witnessed a neck brace that did exactly what he tried to describe; the leverage from the portion that extends down that back resulted in fractured vertebrate below the neck.  It resulted in life flight, it was also an example of what happens when MX guys race desert.    

• Like 1