450 EXC Cooling fan installation issue

Thought this mod will be straight forward, but no.

Bought a KTM fan for my 450EXC, it come in a nice box, including the fan, wiring, thermalswitch,  manual.

Trial fit the fan on my right radiator as manual said, looks good:

OI000317_zpswxsg7iov.jpg

But then I found there are something unlike what it should be...

1. There is no matching available power connector on my bike  :banghead:

2. There is no where on both radiator for the thermalswitch to screw in :cry:

In the below photo, circle #1 is the power socket from the fan, circle #2 is the connector to the thermalswitch.

OI000316_zps1vazbsbx.jpg

Manual said:

OI000314_zpstxxse7vn.jpg

Current wiring harness, no available outlet:

OI000313_zpsgek85msv.jpg

Example of one radiator, no nozzle for thermalswitch:

OI000315_zpsxu5zvodq.jpg

Any recommendation pls? Thanks.

Edited by VietHorse

I might be wrong but my guess is that you may have to splice the power wire from the cooling fan connector to a 5V wire from the rectifier. I believe a Yellow and Red wire from your bike harness should work but to be sure connect a Multimeter to ensure correct voltage from whichever wire you choose from.

Check http://www.keustermans.nl/KTM_RFS_Workshop_Manual.pdf     and visit page #227, it is the wiring diagram for the KTM.

• Like 1

Just fitted one to my 06 525 ,fitted straight up as per instructions ,you just see the power lead near the coil20170511_140131.jpg

• Like 1

Just fitted one to my 06 525 ,fitted straight up as per instructions ,you just see the power lead near the coil and the bung at the bottom of the rad ,yours does not seem to have it or the bypass hose ,does it have a thermostat or has it got the sx rads and hoses20170511_140131.jpg.61b77fb0c698fa7e7e1fffc469ef3a8e.jpg

• Like 1

Has the radiator been replaced with one from an SX?  IIRC the SX rads don't have the port where the thermal switch would be mounted.

• Like 1

Thank you guys. I have studied the wiring diagram and will try to get some diy this weekend.

I think exIT was right when mentioning about SX radiator. I bought this bike used and they are there since then. I will not trying to replace by an appropriate radiator but adding a manual switch, put on handle bar to do on/off to the fan.

Some of the after market kits come with thermostat switches that slip in-between the radiator fins.  Maybe one of those can be adapted to work for you?  Automatic thermostatically controlled reall is better than manual, you can concentrate on riding and not have to worry about the temp.  

• Like 1

Thanks sirthumpalot. Sounds interesting. I just fond the temp sensors which slip-in between the fins, not sure they are switch or not. Will study more on that.

For instant, I have connected the fan to battery, thru a fuse-block, and a switch on handle bar. Everything works just fine.

IMG_20170731_070811_zpsfigopdio.jpg