Cleaning a cyclinder head - petrol ok?

I've taken the valves out but I couldn't work out how to get part 6 and 7 out (in the diagram below), so they're still in there. Other than that, its just the head now, and its got more than a decade of very hard carbon buildup on it.

5979bc5b48e3d_cylinderhead.png.f990804245adab673674de72cc0657d8.png

Is there any reason I shouldn't soak it in a solvent for a while to try loosen it all up abit? Would petrol be ok? Would this damage part 6 (stem seal)?

Maybe, but I'm thinking you should really replace those seals anyway if they're that old. Just grab 'em with some pliers and pull them off, which will squash them of course.

I don't know a way to get them off so they're re-usable.

• Like 1

Too late to check the valve sealing, unfortunately.....you could have flipped the head over the poured in some gas to see if they still seat. 

At 10 years old, you would be wise to change the seats and springs, and the valves if they show any sign of mushrooming.imageproxy.jpg.a76d4c4d4e627e09aef7f602c0f55e36.jpg

• Like 1

Too late to check the valve sealing, unfortunately.....you could have flipped the head over the poured in some gas to see if they still seat. 
At 10 years old, you would be wise to change the seats and springs, and the valves if they show any sign of mushrooming.imageproxy.jpg.a76d4c4d4e627e09aef7f602c0f55e36.jpg

I did check that before I took them out. 3/5 of them leaked a little bit after leaving the petrol there for around 5 minutes.

I'll check for mushrooming tomorrow when I get back to it. Past midnight where I am I've gotta get some sleep

Sent from my SM-G920I using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 2

Were not all in bed in Oz - some of us spend countless hours on dirt bike forums   :banghead:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Were not all in bed in Oz - some of us spend countless hours on dirt bike forums   :banghead:

Yeah. Clinking the unread content button.

• Like 1