Hi Guys,

I've got this big chain lube dilemma or could be a lack of knowledge from my side.

I'm the type of person who prefer to follow the factory recommended products shown on the owner's manual (my bike is the 2017 KTM 500 EXC-F Six Days). Recommended chain lube is the Motorex Chainlube Offroad ... and that's what I have been always using. 

But the dilemma is here, I've got other bikes (road bikes) and use their recommended factory chain lubes and can judge their chain lube situation by feeling the stickiness on their chain (although after a certain period of time, like every 500 kms, I clean and re-lube) On my KTM, however, scenario is VERY different ... I clean chain, apply chain lube, and after a single ride, I find the chain so dry that one would think that I never lubed my chain. Therefore is this Motorex lube doing a good job after all ??

This raises alot of questions like ...

- is Motorex a good chain lube ? (always thought that Motorex products are in fact one of the best around) 

- could it really be the possibility that this Lube is be applied after each ride ?!?!

- should I switch to another brand ? I honestly don't wish but if need to then I have to. Example the Motul products ?

Thanks alot!

Geoff

I just use the shell chain advance lube - i spray it on front to back back to front upside down downside up

wash and dry it after every big ride - then spray it all over again

never had any problems with being dry

Chain lube is a touchy subject, for street only, there is nothing better than Motorex strong street (not available in California) , its a synthetic lithium type product), very strong, and stays fluid.

But you wouldn't want to run that in offroad settings. it would attract too much dirt.

All my rides are over 100 miles, so I also relube every ride.

I also run  heavy NON orings, I use 85/140 gl5 gear oil (with pointy applicator) Autozone, run a bead down each link side plates (both sides) and then in the middle on the rollers.  My non orings live very well in comparison the orings, under normal dry conditions I ride. But cleaning and lubrication is key with a non oring, and the GL5 type oil does that. But if a non oring goes dry, its going to wear rather quicky, so you have to stay on top of it. I will at times add a touch of Motorex.

If running sand, don't even bother with lubing the chain

Edited by Spud786

thanks alot for the feedback !

see ? lack of knowledge from my side it was then! lol 

now I can understand why my current motorex chainlube offroad becomes dry immediately. so as to not attract dirt. stupid of me! I'm not alot into extreme offroad and dirt. More of rough on-the-road and light offroad, therefore I'm going to give Motorex Onroad lubes as they are available in Malta (my home country) Question is that they have two on-road products ... CHAIN LUBE ROAD and CHAIN LUBE RACING .... therefore to which one are you referring to Spud786 ? :)

Thanks all again ! 

37 minutes ago, ragingspeed said:

thanks alot for the feedback !

see ? lack of knowledge from my side it was then! lol 

now I can understand why my current motorex chainlube offroad becomes dry immediately. so as to not attract dirt. stupid of me! I'm not alot into extreme offroad and dirt. More of rough on-the-road and light offroad, therefore I'm going to give Motorex Onroad lubes as they are available in Malta (my home country) Question is that they have two on-road products ... CHAIN LUBE ROAD and CHAIN LUBE RACING .... therefore to which one are you referring to Spud786 ? :)

Thanks all again ! 

Malta why that there is a little island. What you riding on the beach. 

IMG_4069.PNG

hi Steve

Yep ... Malta is really really small island in the center of the Mediterranean sea. So small that our beaches are too small compared to your beaches, therefore one doesn't need any rides to use on the beach. Largest beach you can walk it relaxed from side to side in less than 15 mins. They're small, but they're beautiful :) you should pay us a visit if you like sunshine, sea (100% safe sea), beaches, history, temples, nightlife, etc. One thing you need to keep in mind though ... in summer we experience very high temperatures combined with high humidity levels. At the moment we're at 38 degrees Celsius (100.4 Fahrenheit)

Did I correctly answer your question?    :)

Edited by ragingspeed
  • Like 1

For me, I've never had a chain lube that stayed on the chain through an off-road ride.  It almost seems to be a waste lubing it.  The sand and dirt just grinds it right off.  That said, I use Maxima chain wax and lube before every ride, it dries to be non-sticky (doesn't attract dirt), and simple green removes any overspray pretty easily.  Chains and sprockets are wear items, just have fun and replace them when they're worn. :) 

good answer SirThump

however after Spud's feedback ... and considering the fact that I'm not an all out extreme offroad rider ... I'm tempting to start using a good on-road chain lube instead of offroad dry lube ... maybe I'll do better :) 

by the way Thump ... you be little bit angry at me ... I haven't yet done the TPS thingy :banghead: BUT still in my mind... praaaaying for someone to post a video or step-by-step pics ! 

No worries!  Ride and have fun, plenty of time for fiddling later. ;)   There is an excellent step-by-step with pictures by @MyersAvionics on this page: 

It's about 14 posts down, just scroll until you see the pictures.  Have fun! :) 

My buddy swears by chain wax on the o-ring's.

I use Dumonde tech (thick liquid form)  as all we are really doing for off road is conditioning the O-rings.

I just read in my Yamaha 250x manual (bike is factory 0-ring) manual says 10-40 motor oil on the chain.

I lube before every ride but as stated the chain is always dry when ride is complete. Chain and sprockets go 2500 miles though.

• Like 1

!!!!!

didn't see those pics !! thanks :) I sure hope that he did a spelling mistake in his bike model number ... he wrote 450xc-f, whereas mine is an Exc-f ! will compare those pics with mine :)

thanks again ... and thanks for the lube information !

Maxima chain wax.  Apply after each ride to a warm chain.  It dries on, does not attract dirt and stays on the chain.  Anyone that tells you anything else is better is mistaken.  Gear oil is a bad idea, most chain lubes are not much better.  Ordinary lubes sling off and attract dirt.

The only drawback about the wax is that it can build up on the chain and look messy if you apply it carelessly.  It really doesn't matter how it looks though, if its lubing your chain that's what really matters.

2 hours ago, Spud786 said:

I also run  heavy NON oring

any reason why you run NON o-ring ?

25 minutes ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Sheer pig headedness is usually the cause.

thanks Turbo ... I'll make sure I research about this Maxima chain lube then ... only slight problem is that this looks to be a US product ... making it difficult to reach me in the EU and especially to my home country Malta 

I went though about every chain lube on the market years ago when I started riding until an old neighbor (ex-desert race) told me they all use WD-40.  Gave it a try and haven't looked back.  I just keep a little can in the truck, give it a shot at the end of the ride or wash to remove water still in there (WD = Water Displacement) and keep the o-rings lubed.  Can't say if it is better or worse but my chains and sprockets last me a long time and I am a big guy riding big bikes (XR500R, XR650R, EXC-F 500).  You can find it anywhere in case you forgot a can on a trip, it is cheap, and has a bunch of other uses.

WD40 is a dirt magnet and provides no lubrication to speak of.  It is good for displacing water after a wash but other than that it is doing you no favors.

2 hours ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Mainly cause the narrow orings weren't holding up on the 500, I normally had to cut the orings out by 3,000 miles, cause they were freezing up, also felt like had a slinky effect going into corners at times, even with a relatively new oring. I expect 8 to 10,000 miles out of a chain, none of the narrow orings that DID had gained much in the way of life, or Regina.  So I switched to Non orings and are super free wheeling.

Im not anti oring, I have several hundred thousands of miles on orings/xrings, but on the 500, I seem to get similar life, but I run a very heavy non oring DID NZ, 2.2mm inner and outer plating and 10.23mm rollers. Verses the standard 2.0 mm plating and 10.16mm rollers on many 520's in both oring and non orings. 

I wouldn't run a non oring in all environments, but in my environment seems to be working fine in comparison to xrings and orings life wise.

It all depends on the life with me, and the extra cost of an oring, I wasn't seeing the benefit in added expense, since they didn't hold up and I ended up cutting the orings out. I spent as much time babying orings as the non oring, so its a wash ,as life shows the same.

Edited by Spud786

15 years ago when I was in Florida ,and florida is a sand enviornment, I bought some chain wax, all that stuff does is clog the chain and nothing spins, and horrible in sand.  Ten years later I bought another can , cause I forgot I bought the first can sitting in a storage box. I am very anti chain wax, don't like it at all.