Your thoughts...I'm about to Plunge

Hello all.

My already strange moto year is turning a little stranger.

At 55 y/o, I can't believe how dirt focused I'm becoming.  Getting set to sell my weestrom and crf 250l soon.  Bought a ktm xcfw350 earlier this year.

But now, I'm contemplating an xr650r.  I've never worked on carbed bikes.  I'm sure it's not rocket science...and though there's gonna be a learning curve, I love learning and projects.

I also have watched enough vids and read a number of threads; so I know some things about the bike.  Not enough to scare me off...obviously.

So I have two immediate choices if I buy - 2000 xr650r modded and ridden a good bit out West (Baja, Colo, Wyoming, etc) or 2000 xr650r Indiana with very low miles and almost no mods.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

John

Just me, but I'd go for the low miles Indiana option, then research & mod it out yourself. That way you know the full history of the bike, & what you've got into it ...but that's just me. I probably enjoy tinkering on the bike as much as riding it, lol.

I'm also a bit of a perfectionist, & don't always appreciate the "good enough" of the previous owners "attempts", lol [emoji4]

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bimbamboom said:

Funny. I have never worked on a fuel injected bike .... only carbureted bikes....must be showing my age.

Where are you in Mexico?  Did a great ride Dec/Jan 14-15 on my vstrom.  Next time I'm gonna learn enough Spanish to at least read the road signs.  Entered Laredo Tx and got to Oaxaca before numbness set in; had to turn around and head for Verazcruz to meet a guy.

21 minutes ago, jproaster said:

Where are you in Mexico?  Did a great ride Dec/Jan 14-15 on my vstrom.  Next time I'm gonna learn enough Spanish to at least read the road signs.  Entered Laredo Tx and got to Oaxaca before numbness set in; had to turn around and head for Verazcruz to meet a guy.

I live near tip of Baja....50 miles +- from Cabo....50 miles +- from La Paz on Pacific side. Todos Santos. It is just starting to get hot and humid. Good motorcycling here.

Looking at a 2000 xr650r w/ 2000 miles this weekend.  Pics look good.

What might you suggest I ask about the bike.  Current owner has it plated, but only had it 3-4 months.  So, not sure what he'll be able to tell me.

Thanks,

john

On 7/27/2017 at 7:24 AM, CongoXR650L said:

Just me, but I'd go for the low miles Indiana option, then research & mod it out yourself. That way you know the full history of the bike, & what you've got into it ...but that's just me. I probably enjoy tinkering on the bike as much as riding it, lol.

I'm also a bit of a perfectionist, & don't always appreciate the "good enough" of the previous owners "attempts", lol emoji4.png

I second this. I'm having to fix a lot of "mods" and abuse the two previous owners put onto my bike and it isn't the most fun of things to do. I do have a history of buying used, non running bikes and getting them roadworthy to sell and every single time I do I try and take it back to as stock as I can get. So, from those experiences, buying stock and modifying would be the way to go for a new bike owner. Also think "Would I rather have a steak cooked to order my way, or let the cook decide for me?" Not the best analogy, but it works... kinda.

• Like 1

Thanks heavy. Do you mean on TT btw?

Well yeah, but TT search blows so use Google and it'll get you TT results.

Another vote for:
1. gas on, choke on
2. pull in release, kick thru 3 times
3. let go of release, get on TDC and kick it smooth and hard
4. eng lights off, and pull choke all the way off, warm up motor for several minutes

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1

Took it for a spin on my rural subdivision streets...up to fourth gear.
It ran pretty good. Probably needs some tweaking however.

I am happy to say that the xr is a major contender for top priority winter project.

• Like 2