Five ways to a lighter clutch?

Got any tips for a lighter clutch? I looked around and found a few, but do your own research as some of this stuff I haven't tried, or only just started. Keen to hear your feedback or any other tips.

1 Add appropriately sized washers to reduce clutch spring tension
2 Install lighter clutch springs
3 Remove two springs if you have six springs in your clutch
4 Install a master cylinder that has a wider diameter
The Midwest lever
The Clake One Light clutch (hydraulic conversion available too)

Extra tips from viewers....
If you have a cable clutch drill another hole for the cable a little closer to the pivot point but don't drill right through the other side. Take a small file or Grinder and cut out a notch for the cable to sit farther in to the pivot. This makes a big difference and if you have the tools it's free. 

If you have long fingers, simply move your clutch perch in along the bars so you are using the outer part of the lever for more leverage. 

Finger exercises.

Cable clutch?  Buy a good quality new clutch cable. Route your clutch cable as straight as possible, minimize kinks and bends. Lubricate your cable with good lubricant with the Motion Pro cable luber tool.

Edited by OZ DRZ
  • Like 2

New cables - IMO Motion Pro and All Balls have a larger inner diameter cable than OEM at least on my 05 CRF250R.

Make sure all the cable adjustments are set correctly.

Occasionally lube the cable - I use a Motion Pro cable lube tool and use Maxima MPPL about every 3 or 4 washes. IMO MPPL displaces water and is not sticky to collect dust etc.

Good adjustable clutch lever - I add a Sun Line V1 and IMO well worth the $$$ - Breakaway with multiple adjustments and installed correctly on the bars (in/out/up/down).

Make sure there is no notching on your clutch plates and inner/outer hubs and the plates are not worn.

On my 05 CRF250R, OEM springs and added a new inner hub a few years ago and touched up the outer OEM hub with a file, my clutch pull is ALMOST as easy as a new hydraulic and I prefer the feel of a cable and that I can adjust free play on the fly at the lever if needed.

• Like 1

There is the Moose Racing easy pull clutch lever/perch as well. It's a real POS compared to the midwest but it is cheap and works.

• Like 1

My 11 xc had the clutch lever hyper extended and the plunger spring fell out. I made a new one out of a ball point pen spring and ink tube. While I was in there I polished the ball joint type contact area and where it pivots with mothers polish, a drill, and q tips. Not much lighter but a TON smoother. Very nice change. 

• Like 2

I’ve got the Midwest mountain lever and it really helped me with my clutching. The lever pull is very easy and you only need 1 finger to actuate it. Keeps the rest of your fingers wrapped around the bar for more control. It wasn’t cheap ($115 cdn) but it was more then worth the money to me.

Used to keep the metal discs sandblasted rough so we could run lighter spring tension, plus a combination those other tricks. Open bikes riding in the woods.

• Like 1

On my WR450 I went to a hydraulic clutch and swapped three of the six clutch springs with WR250F springs. It’s a 1 finger clutch for most of the day.

I’m gonna try the MWME lever next

I bought the Midwest Mountain Engineer clutch and fron brake lever. Yes, they do relocate the pivot position, but if you over lay the oem clutch lever to the MME one, the pins (rod thatactuates clutch) are exactly in the same spot. No decrease in lever pull and installed them to a tee per the instructions. Looks cool, but that's about all I got out of it. Maybe it is different for the Magura clutch levers. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread

I've got two springs out on Beta Evo trials bike.

An Easy Pull on old-school '01 CR250R.

Run perch inboard on '13 690 and just use one finger, it is easy anyway.

Sent the MME lever back cuz once I moved my OEM perch back outboard enough to reach that short lever on my 200 the pull was the same, maybe harder than the OEM lever/perch run inboard.  Plus it took a longer pull. Waste of money, but got refund.

Clake on my 200-XCW now, perfect.

Clake in transit for 500 EXC.

2 minutes ago, William1 said:

Exercise. Cheap and good for you.

Hydro clutch for no cable friction and consistent adjustment.

Most used bikes I see simply have worn out levers, perches and cables.

yeah I need to get in shape, I got a lot of keyboard jockeys (who obviously don't know me) telling me to exercise when I asked how to make a Scorpa Trials Bike clutch easier for riding the Rubicon back and forth standing up all the time-with cubital tunnel syndrome in left elbow

I'm 59, is it too late to start working out?

Obliques.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, StuInFH said:

yeah I need to get in shape, I got a lot of keyboard jockeys (who obviously don't know me) telling me to exercise when I asked how to make a Scorpa Trials Bike clutch easier for riding the Rubicon back and forth standing up all the time-with cubital tunnel syndrome in left elbow

Obliques.jpg

Never to late to shape up Anthony.

ME? I am a svelte 240Lbs 5'7" 60 year old who can ride all day and my only complaint is monkey butt.

• Like 1

That is about the first time I have heard something along those lines with the MME levers . That's too bad....

Some do remove 2 out of 6 springs. But really, that isn't the greatest.

removing springs on trials bike is totally ok unless you are maybe expert, and the pros don't of course, as they are doing max rev third gear dumps and need the extra clamping force

if it doesn't slip on a climb in upper gears which is easy enough to test, no downside

all but experts in our trials club usually take the springs out

yeah, I tried posting it for just a minute to stop the "work out" comments and delete it, but couldn't see how to do that anymore oh well

but now you know i know how to work out/manage nutrition-if you have any questions  lol

Edited by StuInFH
  • Like 1

Last time I tried the spring removal was on a Husky 510... didn't like the feel, etc.

7 hours ago, William1 said:

Never to late to shape up Anthony.

ME? I am a svelte 240Lbs 5'7" 60 year old who can ride all day and my only complaint is monkey butt.

Thank you for not posting a photo of that.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, StuInFH said:

Obliques.jpg

If you aren't juicing or HRT that's damn impressive. Hell, impressive if you are.

• Like 1