2006 KLX250s - stock - what should be the next upgrade?

I have recently purchased a very nice 2006 Klx250s w/ 1400 miles on it for $1500 bucks! (seems like a great deal to me). Anyway I just cleaned the carb, new plug, new oil and filter, new chain, new front and back sprockets (13t) and updated front fender. all of this cost me 150 bucks so no biggie there.

I have done the smog delete mod and the exhaust is drilled but I need more power! What should I do next? I was looking at the FMF Q4 slip ons and would like to pick one of those up! but what is the best bang for the buck? Im a college kid so money is tight lol.

Pull the snorkle out of the airbox lid and rejet the carb. It will start better and feel like a new animal. 

Later on you can't beat a Bill blue 351 big bore kit!

Edited by S10gto

I was really looking to get a 351 BB kit, also should I get the KDX220 snorkel? or just remove it completely? And I noticed that there is no dynojet jet kit for this bike, I saw a company on ebay that has basicly everything that one does. Or even JD jetting too. thanks for the input!

I used DJ in my 14. Pre 09 bikes I believe have a different carb.  I would call DJ. They are very helpful. 

As for the snorkel I use the Kdx one. If you don't do deep water crossing don't worry about it.

I wonder if the klx300 DJ kit would work... ill have to get ahold of them! thanks!!

I went with the JD jet kit for the 2006 KLX250/300R. It didn't come with the needle clip spacer so I had to make my own so it wouldn't rattle inside the slide. I only drilled out the plug for the fuel screw, as I have no issues starting the bike hot or cold.

I have the full FMF powerbomb header and Q4 exhaust, and it runs great, but don't expect it to be a powerhouse. A 300 kit would give it more power for sure, but again, it will never beat a WR or CRF250X in output.

I'd get it geared for your terrain and riding, as well as getting correct suspension springs for your weight and enjoy a stone reliable and fun machine. 

On 8/8/2017 at 0:57 PM, hansen3bd said:

My JD kit came with a new needle. I used the blue needle. 

I think I will go with the JD kit. Also I found a good deal on a klx300 cylinder and piston. I might pick it up and get some more power out of my bike! any thoughts or just leave it a 250??

On 7/27/2017 at 5:55 AM, hansen3bd said:

I have recently purchased a very nice 2006 Klx250s w/ 1400 miles on it for $1500 bucks! (seems like a great deal to me). Anyway I just cleaned the carb, new plug, new oil and filter, new chain, new front and back sprockets (13t) and updated front fender. all of this cost me 150 bucks so no biggie there.

I have done the smog delete mod and the exhaust is drilled but I need more power! What should I do next? I was looking at the FMF Q4 slip ons and would like to pick one of those up! but what is the best bang for the buck? Im a college kid so money is tight lol.

u shud take off the carb again. lol ... and install an aftermarket air/fuel mixture screw in place of the air screw.

its impossible to get to with the carb installed and its covered up by a plastic wench plug. 

I wanted to adjust my air/fuel mixture the other day to run a little less lean but I couldn't get to it b/c of the plug. 

if you install a longer one u cud get to it easier .

prob a good thing to be able to adjust the screw. idk why they designed it like this. maybe the bike is meant to only be run leaner.

Edited by horrorfan

20 hours ago, horrorfan said:

u shud take off the carb again. lol ... and install an aftermarket air/fuel mixture screw in place of the air screw.

its impossible to get to with the carb installed and its covered up by a plastic wench plug. 

I wanted to adjust my air/fuel mixture the other day to run a little less lean but I couldn't get to it b/c of the plug. 

if you install a longer one u cud get to it easier .

prob a good thing to be able to adjust the screw. idk why they designed it like this. maybe the bike is meant to only be run leaner.

I did drill out the plug and yes it is very very hard to adjust it while installed. I noticed my bike is running alittle lean and should get a jet kit for it. But then again I may just sell the klx and try to find a drz400.

On 9/18/2017 at 7:50 PM, hansen3bd said:

I did drill out the plug and yes it is very very hard to adjust it while installed. I noticed my bike is running alittle lean and should get a jet kit for it. But then again I may just sell the klx and try to find a drz400.

if you sell your klx go fuel injected. pretty sure the new DRZs are fuel injected. 

anyways yeah that damn carb.. thats my only regret with the klx otherwise I'm pretty happy with it.

id love to take that stupid plug out.

even though its pretty simple... just don't have much time to get a job like this done.

Edited by horrorfan