Replacing fork seals on 2003 200MXC anything else I should do while there?

I am going to replace the fork seals on my 2003 200MXC.  My last ride in Michigan sand was the end of the right side seal.  I have purchased SKF seals since they seem to be regarded as the best and Tusk seal savers.  I had good experience with the seal savers on my XR.

My main question is should I do anything else to the forks while I have them apart.  Example: My old XR400, the common mod was to take a few shims out of the valve stack to improve highspeed dampening.  They work great in my opinion in the woods but I am sure there is room for improvement.

Thanks for your patience with a new KTM owner.

yup. replace the bushings is a must.  maybe some of the tiny o rings too.  otherwise thats about it I believe unless you want to start adjusting performance via valves, springs, oils, etc...

• Like 2

replace bushings no matter how they look if you do not know how long they been there. Will make seals last longer and forks perform better for cheap.. 

sometimes you cant really eyeball the bushings. theyre cheap.

I had a friend do this... cheaped out.  did fork seals only and didnt do bushings like I said.  his seals lasted not even 2 months because his bushings were bad. now hes gotta do it alllllll over again, and then some.  shoulda done it right the first time!

Edited by cdf450
  • Like 1

So I pulled the right leg sorry this morning, first time working on wp forks. It doesn't look like the videos I have watched. Appears to be three bushings on each leg? The kits I am seeing available only include two. 

Sent from my XT1565 using ThumperTalk mobile app

IMG_20170729_103750912_HDR.jpg

Edited by newstylecustoms

So I pulled the right leg sorry this morning, first time working on wp forks. It doesn't look like the videos I have watched. Appears to be three bushings on each leg? The kits I am seeing available only include two. 

IMG_20170729_103750912_HDR.jpg.9280e8cb309ffebc7d9a41b76b24744a.jpg

I know nothing about your forks but motosport is showing 2 bushings. You might be getting one confused with a guiding ring..

IMG_3137.PNG

IMG_3138.PNG

IMG_3139.PNG

I believe it is. The two bushings sit on each other but it doesn't really matter. You're ordering via name not pictures. Get the two that are called "bushing" and it'll be super obvious which ones they are and where they go . It'll all make sense when they show up

Yes. You'll need two of those kits from slavens

I received the bushings, I think I had the lower bushing and the guide ring reversed. The are extremely similar. I am surprised I have not found mention of this before in all the videos I watched and threads I read.

I think these fork seals have beaten me. I just spent about an hour trying to drive in the fork seals on one leg. I heated the tube like wp suggests. I don't have a seal driver, trying to use pvc. Any suggestions?

7 hours ago, newstylecustoms said:

I think these fork seals have beaten me. I just spent about an hour trying to drive in the fork seals on one leg. I heated the tube like wp suggests. I don't have a seal driver, trying to use pvc. Any suggestions?

use the old fork seal to seat the new one and just slam the fork together. cut the old one and use a little force to get it where it need to be.

2 hours ago, newstylecustoms said:

I did try that but I did not want to destroy the dust seal on the process

I have a seal driver, bullet and a fork oil level tool that are all new, never used.  They came with a bike I bought (01 200mxc) that I would sell pretty cheap if you're interested.  I sold the bike, and have no use for them. 

• Like 1