Jump to content

DRZ400s or WR250R

Recommended Posts

We recently moved out from the suburbs to a more rural area with tons of dirt roads and low traffic 2 lane paved roads.  I used to ride street bikes but gave it up years ago due to all the terrible drivers.  I have the itch to pick up a dual sport bike for cruising the dirt roads, short trips on the paved roads to run errands, etc.   I have a plated  KTM 350 XCF-W but because of the maintenance schedule I have no desire to pound miles onto that.  

I have been watching Craigslist for a good affordable used dual sport bike.  I've been watching for DRZ-400S, WR250R and CRF250Ls for several months.  I haven't seen any stellar deals until now.  My plan was just to find a good deal on one of those bikes and go with whichever one popped up first.  Ironically after months of looking 2 bikes popped up on the same day for basically the same price?  Now I have to make a choice.

 

One is a 2008 WR250R with 600 miles on it for $3,400.  The other is a 2007 DRZ-400S with 400 miles on it for $3,200.  Both bikes are effectively in new condition.  What are the chances of that happening?

 

So now I have to make a decision.  Any suggestions?

 

Doc

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously I'm biased but I'd say Suzuki. There is no replacement for displacement.

Middle school aged children will argue the WR is a 6 speed and has upside down forks. We know of course that the 250 NEEDS more, shorter spaced gears to compensate for it's lack of torque. Both bikes are sprung softly and unless you're attacking stadium whoops then you won't benefit from the additional rigidity of the inverted fork design.

Then there is the hop up factor. $1500 will build you a 33 hp 18 ft/lbs torque ,300 lb WR.
The same $1500 can build a 45hp, 30 ft/lbs torque, 300 lbs DRZ. Which one do you think is more fun to ride on the street?

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2017 at 10:46 AM, ohiodrz400sm said:

Obviously I'm biased but I'd say Suzuki. There is no replacement for displacement.

Middle school aged children will argue the WR is a 6 speed and has upside down forks. We know of course that the 250 NEEDS more, shorter spaced gears to compensate for it's lack of torque. Both bikes are sprung softly and unless you're attacking stadium whoops then you won't benefit from the additional rigidity of the inverted fork design.

Then there is the hop up factor. $1500 will build you a 33 hp 18 ft/lbs torque ,300 lb WR.
The same $1500 can build a 45hp, 30 ft/lbs torque, 300 lbs DRZ. Which one do you think is more fun to ride on the street?

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app
 

DRZ needs that extra torque and hp to carry that heavy arse +24 lbs and don't let it be cold when starting that CARB. Too heavy and too old. Suzuki needs to update the DRZ which is from 2000. 17 freaking years old and looks like it. It's 2017, the only way I'm riding a bike with a carb is on a 2 stroke.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the responses guys.  My search continues...  I almost picked up the DRZ.  I was on the way to the bank to get the funds and decided I should hold off until the next day.  The bike sold the same day it was posted (the day I posted this message).  I knew it was a good deal, so my fault for not jumping on it.

I decided that's OK because the WR is more modern and probably suits my style a bit better.  The WR250R is about 3.5 hours away.  I've been trying to work out a deal on that.  I think the owner is a teen / young 20 something guy and he has just been maddening to try to work with.  I literally reached the point where I said F'it.  He's being such a little flakey jerk that I wouldn't want to buy the bike from him at any price.  He's been slow to respond, we originally agreed on one price and at the last second before I was going to leave to make the drive up he sends me this curt email saying the price is the original asking price FIRM take it or leave it.  He also tells me at that point, "I'm in Alaska right now but once you get up there try calling my Dad he might sell you the bike". WTF?  So I'm done dealing with him.

 

I'll keep looking.  I'm half way tempted to go pick up a new WR250R but with all the rumors swirling around about it's being discontinued, it's not being discontinued, there's a new redesigned model (310cc, 400cc, etc) coming to replace it, there's nothing coming to replace it, etc. I'm tentative.  I'd be bummed if I bought one new right now and - month from now they did release a revamped larger version.

 

Doc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The WR has been discontinued in the American market. It's possible there may be a late release replacement but there have been no sights, all speculation at this point.

I think you made a good choice not buying the bike from the kid. As bulletproof as both bikes are, they're still not idoit proof.

18's will be rolling in soon, you may be able to find a left over DR or WR marked down with some hunting.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2017 at 8:46 AM, BushPig said:

Dizzer for sure. The WRR seems like the fatchick with no tits of the dirtbike world.

 

Then the DRZ must be the old fatter woman. lol

Edited by Booger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2017 at 7:39 AM, Doc_d said:

 

 

I'll keep looking.  I'm half way tempted to go pick up a new WR250R but with all the rumors swirling around about it's being discontinued, it's not being discontinued, there's a new redesigned model (310cc, 400cc, etc) coming to replace it, there's nothing coming to replace it, etc. I'm tentative.  I'd be bummed if I bought one new right now and - month from now they did release a revamped larger version.

 

Doc

Even if the WR250r is totally discontinued the parts will still be available. I'm crossing my fingers on a new badass wr300r but I doubt it. Japan does not like to update their lightweight dual sports. The DRZ400, DRZ650, TW200, XT250, XR650l, etc are all ancient bikes. Japan only seems to care about the heavy azz ADV bikes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Booger said:

Even if the WR250r is totally discontinued the parts will still be available. I'm crossing my fingers on a new badass wr300r but I doubt it. Japan does not like to update their lightweight dual sports. The DRZ400, DRZ650, TW200, XT250, XR650l, etc are all ancient bikes. Japan only seems to care about the heavy azz ADV bikes.

I'm not worried about parts.  It would just kill me to buy one new off the dealership floor and find out 4 weeks later they released the WR310R (or whatever) for basically the same price.  So I'm still watching the used market right now but just can't consider pulling the trigger on a new bike until I know for sure there won't be a redesigned replacement.

People keep talking about the WR250R being discontinued, but in the dozens of threads I've read about it I've seen no reference to anything official from Yamaha.  Did I miss it somewhere?

Doc

Edited by Doc_d

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Doc_d said:

I'm not worried about parts.  It would just kill me to buy one new off the dealership floor and find out 4 weeks later they released the WR310R (or whatever) for basically the same price.  So I'm still watching the used market right now but just can't consider pulling the trigger on a new bike until I know for sure there won't be a redesigned replacement.

People keep talking about the WR250R being discontinued, but in the dozens of threads I've read about it I've seen no reference to anything official from Yamaha.  Did I miss it somewhere?

Doc

The japanese yamaha website confirmed it, however, it will not be discontinued in Australasia. I highly doubt there will be WR300+.I'd say get new 2017 wr250r. Also, the wr250r holds it value better than the DRZ. The WR250 is a hot commodity on the used market, however, you don't come across many used ones because people love to keep these bikes and they are highly sought after. I will add a bunch of other bikes in the future but the wr250r will stay until it's dead, I want to use it on the Trans Am trail.

Joking aside, the DR400 is still a great bike, just wanted set the record straight. I'm not a DRZ hater. However, everybody has their own preferences, I personally hate dealing with a carb because I often travel to the mountains out west where it can be various temperatures and I hate having to dial in a carb due to altitude changes. Also, the lack of a 6th gear and extra 24 lbs is not for my liking, but there are still many fans of the DRZ400. At the end of the day, you get what you want, a bike that makes you happy and that's all that matters.

Best of luck!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Booger said:

The japanese yamaha website confirmed it, however, it will not be discontinued in Australasia.

Do you have a link?  I've heard anecdotal references to this but have never seen it and at least one person went on a rant saying there is no hard evidence.

It seems really strange to me that Yamaha would continue to manufacture the bike for Australia and choose not to sell it in the much larger U.S. market if they didn't have a replacement.  I mean why keep all the expense and overhead of manufacturing and not ship them to the U.S. where they'd probably sell 10x as many as in Australia.  It's all very odd.

All this confusion is why I just can't pull the trigger on a new one until there is some kind of official statement from Yamaha USA.

Doc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a guess but I'd say the new bikes sold in Australia will simply be the last 2017's off the production line still in crates

that Yamaha has gathered up worldwide and shipped there, location perhaps chosen due to less strict emissions rules or,

mechanically identical new 2018's but sold as 'REC-REGO' rather than dual-sport.  (even the YZ250X can be purchased 'REC-REGO' in that market)

 

On many internet forum / YouTube discussions,

changing worldwide emissions standards / Euro4 seem to be the main reason the model was ditched,

also declining sales as the newer WR250F and WR450F can be made street legal in many regions/states

so some potential R buyers have been going that route instead. 

 

To simplify production and lower R&D costs of a new emissions compliant engine, 

Yamaha like most manufacturers would also aim for a new engine

design that is used on other bike platforms, not only on one single low sales model.

Apart from a dual-sport, a small displacement single cylinder 4T isn't popular for much else on the street.

Edited by mlatour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone provide the link to the official statement?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without much press about it (Japanese manufacturers are not likely to stir up bad press)

Kawasaki has done the same thing with their equivalent KLX250 dual-sport a few years ago.

 

Discontinued from the north american market in 2015 again without a new model to replace it,

the KLX250 is still currently offered on the Australian market.

Edited by mlatour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2017 at 9:58 AM, Doc_d said:

One is a 2008 WR250R with 600 miles on it for $3,400.  The other is a 2007 DRZ-400S with 400 miles on it for $3,200.  Both bikes are effectively in new condition.  What are the chances of that happening?

 

So now I have to make a decision.  Any suggestions?

 

Doc

 

Wow Doc,   Those are both Sweet Deals! That were meant for you. I wish i saw them in NY when i bought my drz 2 weeks ago!

I'm the type of guy that jumps on deals like that, while other people are twirling their thumbs.  You can't think for too long, but you will find another deal. I am super happy with my 06 drz400s with 3k miles. Good luck with your purchase! 

Edited by Trail_Dude
Wrong placement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2017 at 8:46 AM, BushPig said:

Dizzer for sure. The WRR seems like the fatchick with no tits of the dirtbike world.

 

Tit-less fat chicks need love too!😂

You just have to put more work into her and hope your satisfied. 😰

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-8-2 at 11:36 PM, mlatour said:

Just a guess but I'd say the new bikes sold in Australia will simply be the last 2017's off the production line still in crates

that Yamaha has gathered up worldwide and shipped there, location perhaps chosen due to less strict emissions rules or,

mechanically identical new 2018's but sold as 'REC-REGO' rather than dual-sport.  (even the YZ250X can be purchased 'REC-REGO' in that market)

 

On many internet forum / YouTube discussions,

changing worldwide emissions standards / Euro4 seem to be the main reason the model was ditched,

also declining sales as the newer WR250F and WR450F can be made street legal in many regions/states

so some potential R buyers have been going that route instead. 

 

To simplify production and lower R&D costs of a new emissions compliant engine, 

Yamaha like most manufacturers would also aim for a new engine

design that is used on other bike platforms, not only on one single low sales model.

Apart from a dual-sport, a small displacement single cylinder 4T isn't popular for much else on the street.

Nah. Those WR-R things are the last bike you would rec rego. The whole point is to ride something more suited to the dirt which can't get street rego. 

For example, you can street rego a KTM 300EXC, but for the cost of a stator, and a head and tail light  (and reduced rego fees as not street legal) you could ride your YZ125 or a YZ250FX legally in state forests and other places. 

Not all states are like this either. Mine isn't and technically requires street registration for anywhere that isnt private property.

My bike hasnt had a plate for years though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well after spending months trying to decide between a DRZ, WR250R, CRF250L and even a DR650 it's finally over.  I really didn't make a conscious decision as much as I just took the best deal I could find.  I picked up a 2012 DRZ4000S with 2043 miles on it for $3500.

I only rode it briefly before closing the deal but I think it's going to be perfect for what I want to do which is lots of gravel back roads and some rural two lane paved roads.  The bike looks like it's in awesome shape but it's sat for the last couple years at least.  So I'm going to go through it change all the fluids, etc.

Thanks for the input!

Doc

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well after spending months trying to decide between a DRZ, WR250R, CRF250L and even a DR650 it's finally over.  I really didn't make a conscious decision as much as I just took the best deal I could find.  I picked up a 2012 DRZ4000S with 2043 miles on it for $3500.
I only rode it briefly before closing the deal but I think it's going to be perfect for what I want to do which is lots of gravel back roads and some rural two lane paved roads.  The bike looks like it's in awesome shape but it's sat for the last couple years at least.  So I'm going to go through it change all the fluids, etc.
Thanks for the input!
Doc

Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Doc_d said:

Well after spending months trying to decide between a DRZ, WR250R, CRF250L and even a DR650 it's finally over.  I really didn't make a conscious decision as much as I just took the best deal I could find.  I picked up a 2012 DRZ4000S with 2043 miles on it for $3500.

I only rode it briefly before closing the deal but I think it's going to be perfect for what I want to do which is lots of gravel back roads and some rural two lane paved roads.  The bike looks like it's in awesome shape but it's sat for the last couple years at least.  So I'm going to go through it change all the fluids, etc.

Thanks for the input!

Doc

Oh man, you got a better deal than me! Congrats! Now its time to rip it apart and customize it just for you.  Woo hoo time to spend more money! :jawdrop: (im in the same phase as you) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×