Back in the Saddle .... Almost

Alrighty then !! After a 5 year hiatus from the XR world I made a trade last night of a '01 CR125 to an '02 XR250 

I think it's a fair trade considering it needs a new back tire and a carb clean ! Lol

After hitting the trails with my son (who is learning to ride) the little CR just didn't like going slow, so onto Craigslist it went. Within 2 days I found this guy who wanted to trade, and here I am !! I came from riding an XR650L and loved it but she was just a little too bulky for tight trails, that's why I got the featherweight 125. Well that itch is scratched now and I'm back on a ride with a kickstand! Lol

That's my boys XR 200 beside it. 

IMG_2606.JPG

IMG_2607.JPG

• Like 2

First off clean the Carb, next the tires then I'm going to ride the crap out of her ! Lol

Down the road I'll put an FMF pipe and re-jet, but for now I want to get my boy a little more sure footed on his XR200 

I'm sure it'll need brakes and  I think I saw the fork seal was leaking, other than that it'll get new grips and peel of the numbers

Does anyone know what LED will replace the headlight? 

@4runnerman88 - You are really going to enjoy slogging around the trails on your XR400. What tires are you going to swap in?

Here is a thread that I started on headlights. 

• Like 1

I'll look at the link you posted on the LED 

Ive been a fan of the Kenda K760 on front and rear, that's what I've run on the last few bikes I've had minus my 650L (I had the Terraflex 150/80-18 on her) 

This 250 I just got will get the same tires just for reasons of durability and price along with good all around performance, good in sand, dirt and hard pack clay. 

• Like 1

go through all of the pivot points on the rear suspension- shock pivots, linkage, and swingarm. They are usually neglected and if you wait until the swingarm bearings rust to the shaft, you will be cutting that bolt out. 

• Like 1

10-4 

As soon as I get back home from a short vacation I'll set into her and see all of what's up, and I can give a much clearer picture of what's going on. 

Just read through the 400 Swingarm thread. When I had my 650L I would grease mine when I changed the tire, which was about every 1.5 years. 

We ride enough wet conditions here with deep water crossings that I need to do all our bikes every winter. 

• Like 2

Well I'm feeling a little screwed at the moment. 

I got back from vacation and started screwing with the new 250 

I cleaned the carb, checked for spark, oil level was good, kicked till my leg hurt... nothing. 

Checked the valve clearance which led me to this, the T mark and the valves don't line up. When I'm on T the Ex valves are starting to open (not right?) so timing must be off. When I turn the crank CCW about a 32nd of a turn it feels like the piston actually hits TDC and all 4 valves have clearance. What's the chance of this ? 

I'm a little pissed at the moment, and kinda unsure what to do next. I'm going to pull the clutch side cover and clean out the oil because it was brown when I pulled the filter 

Suggestions anyone????