Sell DRZ400 for 500 EXC?

Currently have a bone stock DRZ400 and debating if I should sell it and upgrade to a 500 EXC or if I should keep the DRZ and do the fcr39mx carb and 3x3 air box.  The DRZ is pretty gutless stock, but for the money it's not too bad I suppose.  Will I be satisfied with a stock 500?  I want the feelsies when I roll on the throttle.  The bike will be used for open desert riding/trails and commuting 30-40 mi a day (no crazy hill climbs).  If I get the 500 EXC I plan to also have a set of SM wheels for the times it's needed.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Well, you should just checked off ALL logical and solid reasons for owning the KTM 500.

I have a 2010 450XCW
It is a beast. In excellent shape and top running condition. Never needs a damn thing but wear items. Chain and sprockets, filters and oil.
Not comparable to a DRZ. It crushes.
The 'feelsies'? Hell, you'll have the willy's when you first hop on a KTM 500 and roll on that throttle.
As far as upgrades go, from a DRZ to a KTM 500 is the true meaning of upgrade!
I ride with a lot of different guys and more than half of them have KTM EXC's or 300 XC's.
Maybe it's the culture where I live but it sure is a fact and no one talks about wishing how they had anything else, besides wanting to try some other KTM!
Go for it!

Sent from my SM-G955U using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1

I had a drz 400e. So it had the carb, and hotcakes from the factory. It was 30lbs lighter than the street version and I had uncorked the air box and put on a pipe. Loved the bike until I got my 500exc. That drz was a turd in comparison. I picked it up and popped a half throttle wheelie right in the parking lot, bone stock and not trying. I will never look back. A few cheap mods later and she is more of a beast. I bought a second set of wheels and put street rubber on them. Went with the stock sizes though so the ergonomics would not change.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback guys.  So hands down it's a much better bike.  Is it worth the additional cost (almost double the cost of a DRZ)?  And for what it's worth, I'm not scared of a little maintenance. 

1 hour ago, 404notfound said:

Thanks for the feedback guys.  So hands down it's a much better bike.  Is it worth the additional cost (almost double the cost of a DRZ)?  And for what it's worth, I'm not scared of a little maintenance. 

You get one shot at this dance. A question I'd be asking, is when In your 80s are you going to be satisfied having stayed on a DRZ or will regret set in wishing you tried it at least once. Leaving the only itch to be scratched on the Nut sack. 

Edited by xrbrp

If you are commuting for about an hour every work day, you will be rebuilding a 500 every year.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, xrbrp said:

You get one shot at this dance. A question I'd be asking, is when In your 80s are you going to be satisfied having stayed on a DRZ or will regret set in wishing you tried it at least once. Leaving the only itch to be scratched on the Nut sack. 

I hear ya loud and clear!

23 minutes ago, DaveCR said:

If you are commuting for about an hour every work day, you will be rebuilding a 500 every year.

You're probably right.  It's 50/50 street and freeway mix, although I wouldn't ride every day to work - I have a Jeep too.  Are you arguing the case for the DRZ?

The value of a bike many people believe in, praise and take pride in owning is very high.

Plated KTM's in general demand a higher price tag for a good reason.

The worth of a reliable high performance machine will always be above that of a reliable, low performance machine.
The higher HP model or
'Ready to Race' machine always costs more.

You simply cannot compare a 78 Chevy Impala to a 2017 Porsche Panamera.

Let's face it, a DRZ is a heavy, soft, putz around bike in stock form. No performance to praise.
Reliability is great!

You are moving up to a very high performance machine with a KTM 500.

Go baby, go!

As far as rebuilding a KTM 500 every year from commuting?

I haven't seen this need.
Perhaps Spud can chime in?

He has the miles to talk about the experience.

16 minutes ago, 404notfound said:

I hear ya loud and clear!

You're probably right.  It's 50/50 street and freeway mix, although I wouldn't ride every day to work - I have a Jeep too.  Are you arguing the case for the DRZ?

Not really.

I'd argue for a KTM 690 if the off road requirements aren't too extreme.

Or, keep the DRZ for commuting and buy an off road bike.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NitroHvy said:

As far as rebuilding a KTM 500 every year from commuting?

I haven't seen this need.
Perhaps Spud can chime in?

He has the miles to talk about the experience.

250 work days a year = 250 hours plus 50 play hours = 300 hours per year. That figure is way beyond recommended service intervals.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NitroHvy said:

The value of a bike many people believe in, praise and take pride in owning is very high.

Plated KTM's in general demand a higher price tag for a good reason.

The worth of a reliable high performance machine will always be above that of a reliable, low performance machine.
The higher HP model or
'Ready to Race' machine always costs more.

You simply cannot compare a 78 Chevy Impala to a 2017 Porsche Panamera.

Let's face it, a DRZ is a heavy, soft, putz around bike in stock form. No performance to praise.
Reliability is great!

You are moving up to a very high performance machine with a KTM 500.

Go baby, go!

Preach!! :applause:

4 hours ago, 404notfound said:

Currently have a bone stock DRZ400 and debating if I should sell it and upgrade to a 500 EXC or if I should keep the DRZ and do the fcr39mx carb and 3x3 air box.  The DRZ is pretty gutless stock, but for the money it's not too bad I suppose.  Will I be satisfied with a stock 500?  I want the feelsies when I roll on the throttle.  The bike will be used for open desert riding/trails and commuting 30-40 mi a day (no crazy hill climbs).  If I get the 500 EXC I plan to also have a set of SM wheels for the times it's needed.

Thoughts?

are you frigging kidding ? have you ever ridden a KTM ? there is absolutely nothing in common with the drz. you will be so amazed at the power and the suspension you will wonder why you bought that dr in the first place. get the 17-18 500 exc and be one of the elite riding the worlds lightest and most powerful  production endure unless its called Husky there is no comparison.

needed; steering damper , ignition program or ecu and you will be set

I would definitely recommend an EXC. I just bought a 2005 450 EXC, and I have never had more fun on a bike. For what they are (race bikes), they are extremely reliable and don't need much work aside from oil changes and keeping the air filter clean (this is mostly based on things I've read, as I've only put 6 hours on my bike so far).

However, if you are truly commuting 30-40 miles every day, this is probably not a great bike for that. You will rack up hours quickly, and although you can stretch intervals when riding pavement, you will be working on the bike a lot, even if it is just oil changes. You'd be looking at changing the oil every week or two, and as DaveCR mentioned, you'd be looking at more frequent rebuilds than I would want to do. It's also worth mentioning that, in stock form, my EXC is pretty twitchy and bouncy on pavement. I just bought some rolled fishing weights to balance the wheels, but it will not be great on the highway without significant changes that might diminish its performance in the dirt. Just another thing to think about.

My suggestion would be to keep the DRZ for commuting, and buy an older KTM. The RFS engines (2000-2007) are renowned for their rock-solid reliability, and the only significant point of failure is the soft intake valves. Once those run out of adjustment, replace with kibblewhite stainless steel valves, and you have a bike that will pretty much go on forever. You may also be able to find one that already has the kibblewhite valves. I would think if you're considering selling the DRZ and then forking out another $4-5k for a new KTM, you probably have the cash to score a mint RFS. Probably even save some money, and have the best of both worlds. Just my $0.02.

• Like 2

Some very good perspective here, thanks again everyone for that!  Need to think this over as it seems the 500 EXC may be overkill for what I want.  Might keep the DRZ as others have suggested and pick up a KTM 2T for the few weekends I hit the trails.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NitroHvy said:

Reliability is great!

As someone who has actually owned both, this is by far and away the best comment in this thread so far.  However, I would take this one step further.  The DRZ is not only heavy, it is literally a PIG.  A big, heavy pig.

As a rider who is on the ground a lot, I want to pick up as little weight as I need to.  One of my buddies still rides a DRZ.  Recently we were out on the trails, and he fell over in a turn, and the Dizzer ended up on top of him.  I quickly threw the 500 down, and went back to help.  I just about threw out my back when I picked the Dizzer up off of him.  I grabbed, and tried yanking, and nothing happened at first.  I was so used to picking up a bike that weighs 50 pounds (yes 50 pounds) less, that I didn't try hard enough the first time.  

I had totally forgotten how heavy these things are.

Is the Dizzer 95% bullet proof?  Probably.  I tore the water pump off of mine in CO, and rode about 15 miles back to get it out of the trail I was on.  Not for sure that I would attempt that with my KTM.  Would I go back to a Dizzer for bulletproofness?  NO WAY EVER!

As was stated elsewhere in this thread, you are NOT comparing apples to apples when you're comparing the two.  I didn't believe either until I owned both, but they are in two completely separate and different leagues...

• Like 2

Buy the Beta 500.  You dont have a locked ECU like the KTM has.  And you can use an OBD2 scanner if you have any codes.  Who cares about resale value?  You dont buy a bike for resale do you???  Then you are in the wrong sport

• Like 2