Jump to content

The "Official" Pala MX thread

Recommended Posts

So figured I would start a thread, going to Pala on Sunday, probably gonna to get lapped random kids on 65cc 2 smokers...

Anybody else down to go? I'll be on my clapped out 05' YZ250, white bike with no stickers.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I try to stay away from tracks on weekends if possible.  I haven't been in California for very long but from what I have seen, the tracks are packed on weekends.  We (my 13 y.o. son and I) rode a week ago last Friday and Pala was pretty busy and pretty tore up by mid morning. 

We are going to go around to as many tracks as we can that are within thirty minutes to an hour from Temecula and try them out.  I think Pala will be our go-to track simply because I can get us there inside of twenty minutes from our house.  I think we're gonna try Perris next. 

Dave

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey DD,

Run your son up to CahuillaMX just off 79/371 out of Temecula... Wednesday's are always awesome with sometimes a PRO element that he'll be in awe of. But many times the weekends are not bad there, main track can get busy but most are really good about holding lines. You do not see near the accidents you see at Pala. They have an OK off road section, Main and Vet tracks along with some mini/50's courses for the newbs. 

Living in Temecula I can be at Cahuilla in 18 minutes and Pala in about 15. Don't care much for Elsinore or Milestone but then I'm old an haven't been to Perris in a long time... I think McGrath was a rookie there then. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Decreasing Dave said:

I try to stay away from tracks on weekends if possible.  I haven't been in California for very long but from what I have seen, the tracks are packed on weekends.  We (my 13 y.o. son and I) rode a week ago last Friday and Pala was pretty busy and pretty tore up by mid morning. 

We are going to go around to as many tracks as we can that are within thirty minutes to an hour from Temecula and try them out.  I think Pala will be our go-to track simply because I can get us there inside of twenty minutes from our house.  I think we're gonna try Perris next. 

Dave

Try Perris in the PM its awesome crowds are pretty low on Wed & Thursday 4-9.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome, thanks guys.  I'll have to give Cahuilla a shot.  I honestly forgot about it. 

I'm trying to get the boy's confidence back up as a couple of past incidences back in AZ with "coming up short" on a double and crashing hard has shaken it for him.  So I need to be careful where I take him so that the track is easy enough but yet challenging enough.  I don't want him just rolling around over jumps that he too afraid to attempt.  We jumped onto the Amateur track at Pala the last time we were there and he was having issues with the front double and the up and over triple thing right after it.  He wouldn't even try the double and he said that he was coming up short on doubling the triple thing.  I know he's chopping the throttle at the last minute.  I was next to him on one lap and saw it.  It's mental though as he says that he isn't.  It's hard enough fixing my own mental blocks for safety (I'm 50yo, so....) but fixing mental blocks for your kids is even worse.  Any suggestion that you have, I'll take them.

I'm sorry that we have gotten off the original intention of the thread.

Dave

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally get it DD, I'm 56 and race mostly desert and GP but ride/practice MX too... Been a long time since really charged hard at MX but one reason like Cahuilla, Glen Helen, 212 (when it was around) since more natural terrain and you don't have to force it, just carry the speed adn you'll clear it. Cahuilla has nice large table tops to get him comfortable with the speed and distance again so that he knows he can clear the gaps easily. An if he does come up short table tops a lot more forgiving. The Cahuilla vet track will be good for this and has an OK step up for that double confidence builder, then he can take it to the main track when ready. All good times there... No problem on the threads... they always go a bunch of different directions based on peoples comments and opinions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks DD :)  I watched some YouTube on Cahuilla and it looks like it should work to build some confidence.  He has done all of the jumps on the Pala vet track but those aren't that big, at least compared to the amateur track, and I can only guess the main track as well.

We do a lot of the GP races together as well.  We are going to try the SRA GP on the 13th.  I called to spoke with Kathy yesterday trying to get some info.  It looks like it should be fun.  Any chance that you'll be going to that one?

Dave

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Decreasing Dave said:

Awesome, thanks guys.  I'll have to give Cahuilla a shot.  I honestly forgot about it. 

I'm trying to get the boy's confidence back up as a couple of past incidences back in AZ with "coming up short" on a double and crashing hard has shaken it for him.  So I need to be careful where I take him so that the track is easy enough but yet challenging enough.  I don't want him just rolling around over jumps that he too afraid to attempt.  We jumped onto the Amateur track at Pala the last time we were there and he was having issues with the front double and the up and over triple thing right after it.  He wouldn't even try the double and he said that he was coming up short on doubling the triple thing.  I know he's chopping the throttle at the last minute.  I was next to him on one lap and saw it.  It's mental though as he says that he isn't.  It's hard enough fixing my own mental blocks for safety (I'm 50yo, so....) but fixing mental blocks for your kids is even worse.  Any suggestion that you have, I'll take them.

I'm sorry that we have gotten off the original intention of the thread.

Dave

I'm an off road rider, I was struggling with that same jump, finally I saw a youngster double in and triple out, next lap I went for it and nailed it. He can do it, he needs to focus on slowing down to land the double smooth because it's very easy to over jump, then land smooth already on the throttle and send it over the triple. The landing is forgiving even with my soft offroad suspension. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Riddler.  You didn't happen to be there on Friday, two weeks ago, were you?  There was a an offroad guy there riding the tracks.  He was easy to spot because of his headlight, haha.  Anyway, he was doing pretty good from what I saw.

I had to be careful with both the double and the triple as I could over jump the double like you said, but I was only trying to double the triple thing.  I kept landing past the double part but not quite to the triple part, if you know what I mean.  That section is now my favorite part of that track.

I was having more difficulty on the double to step-up and over jump in the middle.  I would spin too much out of the turn and struggle to clear the double and then struggle to get the speed to clear the step-up and over jump right after it.  I had a few close calls on that one for sure.  Ryan didn't even attempt it.

It's disappointing for me that he's having issues because I know he wants to go for it, but getting hurt sucks, and now he's timid to try.  I think I'm going to have to just go out there with him and work on one specific jump at a time.  That's the only way that I know how to help him.

Thank you for the advise.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No that wasn't me, I moved to northern California and I haven't been there in a while, I'm sure the track has changed since.. 

 

This is the jump I'm talking about, of course I can't do the entire thing.

 

For your young one, I'd personally have him focusing more on turning and keeping momentum up, the jumps will come later and much easier when he can naturally carry more speed into them.

And too have fun!

Edited by the Riddler.
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey DD,

I wish I was going to be at the SRA GP, I'm actually in a golf tourney this weeekend. Not planning on doing another race until maybe WORCs GP at Glen Helen or just wait on the next desert race. I'm not chasing points in anything this year, it is a body/bike(s) rebuild year but I like hitting the tracks since so close for some good seat time and exercise.  Good Luck if you guys do SRA, just focus on having fun and HYDRATE. The heat will make it a brutal one...

~DD

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2017 at 1:06 PM, the Riddler. said:

This is the jump I'm talking about, of course I can't do the entire thing.

For your young one, I'd personally have him focusing more on turning and keeping momentum up, the jumps will come later and much easier when he can naturally carry more speed into them.

And too have fun!

Yeah that's a 2 jumper for this old dog too... at 56 I don't even attempt BIG air anymore... if your up there too long to think about it you're in trouble. :facepalm:  I've had a couple friends get concussions on that one and one offroad friend break his sternum and 6 ribs collapsing both lungs.  He made 3 good jumps in one day but that forth one spun a wheel, came up short and chest into the steering stablizer. No chest protector... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I have no intentions of doubling those.  I didn't even know that they could be doubled, haha.  I was having fun with the double in, double up and single out, although I would have liked to have gone for the triple out.  I was short on the "time-balls" ratio.  You know, given enough time you'll figure it out, OR, given enough balls, you'll try it anyway. :cripple:

We did the SRA GP yesterday.  It was pretty awesome.  That track gets rough and some of those jumps are a bit (way) out of my league.  I signed up for Super Senior Novice and came in 7th out of 10.  Overall, I came in 37th out of 55!!!! Big class for sure.  I didn't realize you could put so many crazy old guys living in age denial in one place at one time, haha. Not bad considering I stalled it on the line and left dead last about 150 yards behind everyone else.  My son stalled on the line too.  During his second lap, he was having problem pushing the front everywhere.  Until he finally fell.  He came in because he though he bent something.  Turns out that he had a pinch flat.  The track got rough and I didn't think to bump up his tire pressure.  I felt bad, but not much I could do.

Still had a blast though.  I plan on hitting the next one on September 24th.

Dave

Edited by Decreasing Dave
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome to hear you guys had a great time Dave, that's  what it is all about at our age. An there are some great battles at all levels be it PRO, EX, AM NOV or BEG, front, mid or back of the pack. We're all chasing a bike to gain another position... 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SRA GPs are a lot of fun, that Glen Helen track can get super beat, but thats where you make up time if you can keep up your corner speed.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are u gonna race the pals armature series ? I have been thinking about it but need a lot more practice on track. Been riding since 96 but mostly off road stuff. I don't know if I should say this but unicorns are pretty sweet.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×