1999 suspension swap

Love the old bike however could I get some help on what will fit my 99 if I can find 06' and up and what components I will need to buy 

forks and shock 

thank u 

some track stuff 45'-60' jumps but mostly desert type stuff without it being way to harsh on the chop and rocks when going slow 

some track stuff 45'-60' jumps but mostly desert type stuff without it being way to harsh on the chop and rocks when going slow 

Same, I did a GP valving so it does everything pretty well. Had no landing issues on the 60 footer yesterday once I stopped landing 10 feet short lol. I just dial a little compression in for track, like 3 clicks, a little out for gnarly woods trail, 2 clicks the other way, right in the middle for desert, 12 clicks out. Works really good.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

11 hours ago, HeavyRotation said:

Same, I did a GP valving so it does everything pretty well. Had no landing issues on the 60 footer yesterday once I stopped landing 10 feet short lol. I just dial a little compression in for track, like 3 clicks, a little out for gnarly woods trail, 2 clicks the other way, right in the middle for desert, 12 clicks out. Works really good.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

Your picture  looks close to my situation with my 15' 450 next to the ol 99' 2 smoke 

GP valving  ?  Sounds perfect 

Who did it for you ?

or did u order race Tec stuff and do it yourself 

Edited by bigvaportrail

Old thread, but for the sake of knowledge sharing:

I know that the 2003 forks will fit the 99 YZ250 ....you should be able to swap in the new triple clamps too,  the 03 lower clamp is much beefier than the 99 clamp. 

I have a complete 2003 YZ450 rear suspension that I'm wondering if it fits the 99 250...I see the linkage looks a little different, Swing arm appears  very similar, shock also appears similar.  I may try and slide it in there for grins next week.

Anyone have any first-hand experience with swapping in newer components into the steel-framed YZs ?

33 minutes ago, ss-racing said:

Old thread, but for the sake of knowledge sharing:

I know that the 2003 forks will fit the 99 YZ250 ....you should be able to swap in the new triple clamps too,  the 03 lower clamp is much beefier than the 99 clamp. 

I have a complete 2003 YZ450 rear suspension that I'm wondering if it fits the 99 250...I see the linkage looks a little different, Swing arm appears  very similar, shock also appears similar.  I may try and slide it in there for grins next week.

Anyone have any first-hand experience with swapping in newer components into the steel-framed YZs ?

2007 YZ250F fits steel frames. 

Rear shock that is.

• Like 1