1983 Xl 250r

Hi there, this is my first post. I recently bought a XL250 for $400. The bike kicked over but didn't spark. Me and my dad tore down the motor before running it, we found a cracked piston and 2 cylinder bolts were missing. The cylinder looks to be ok, just a bit of wear (we'll hone it)

Can anyone give me part numbers or piston kits that will fit. Most of them are made for '86+. Thanks.

20170722_180634.jpg20170722_131614.jpg20170721_113550.jpg

I got this one for $200 as a box of bits  and the prox piston kit I got off ebay for it seems fine (got the prox kit cause It was cheap)   

if the 2 head bolts that you are missing are the left ones they are shorter than the right and have thick washers. if you put bolts that are to long in the l/h side they will hit the crank and stop the engine turning over. and the threads in the rocker cap and cam side of the cylinder are prone to stripping so be extra careful when torqueing the rocker cap. good luck with it and feel free to hit me up for more pix if needed;)

xl piston 001.JPG

xl piston 002.JPG

Yes, i looked on partzilla for the bolts and there were 2 different part numbers. Wondering which one it is.

They are the bolts right beside the spark plug hole, one bolt on each side. Wish I had a picture of it.

Sent from my SM-G903W using ThumperTalk mobile app

I think we're missing 11, 12 or 13 according to this diagram but I dont know the part numbers for them or which one it is. honda-xl250r-1983-d-usa-cylinder_bighu0119e8002_dc6f.gif

Called 2 of my local Honda dealers, they don't have the cylinder bolts, they can't order them either.

Does anybody know what length the bolts are? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G903W using ThumperTalk mobile app