I used to basically buy the cheapest gear I could find, but now that my bike has significantly more power and I'm starting to notice myself pushing the limits more and more each ride its time to get myself a top of the line helmet. I've done some decent research on my own and have basically come to either the Leatt 5.5 GPX with 360 turbine tech, or the 6D ATR-1 with the ODS tech. I'm leaning towards the Leatt since I'm a woods rider, I like that its small, light, highly ventilated, as well as the cutout for a drink hose. Not trying to start a war of which is better, I'm looking to see if anyone owns either of these helmets and if they could give there overall personal input, or perhaps even a situation the helmet did or didn't do its job. Thanks 

• Like 1

Hey DCR....I just recently purchased the Leatt 6.5 GPX and I have to say I am totally impressed.  I have always worn Shoei so I was a little skeptical changing.  However, this Leatt is light years ahead of my Shoei.  It is very light weight, the shell is noticeably smaller too.  The fit and finish is fantastic and it looks totally badass.  I live in the northeast and the last few rides out have been days with temps in mid 90's and high humidity.  I can honestly say I have never had a helmet that is this well ventilated.  That said, you riding experience is a little louder with this helmet.  I have heard guys going to ear plugs to deafen the sound.  I am so impressed with the helmet, I am looking to get one for my son.  I have not had a big get off, so I can not really say how well it protects in a crash.  However, my feeling is Leatt did their homework with this and it will do the job as well or better than any other helmet on the market.  I am a fan. Good luck making your decision.

• Like 1

6D and Bell Flex are probably the safest for impact protection and rotational acceleration except are heavier, but the rest of the brands with their multi density foam like the Leatt you mentioned are still head and shoulders above the older design helmets that have no extra effort in impact protection.

If you are considering 6D you should look at the Bell Moto-9 Flex too.  Try on any helmet you are looking at and see what fits nice and holds to your head the best.

Edited by GerGa
  • Like 1

I like my gpx 5.5 a lot. I have no complaints really. Though I haven't ridden with it yet, the fit and finish is good. 

What really sold me is the smaller shell, love the smaller feel, and from an aesthetics standpoint its one of the better looking helmets imo due to the smaller shell. 

I'm a long time Arai guy for street helmets, so I was thinking I'd be let down on fit etc.. But nope, fits great and seems like a quality lid. 

Only negative, I wish it wasn't made in China. But whatever factory there that  builds them did a good job. 

Edited by Blackhalo
  • Like 1

I worded my original post poorly, the Bell is definitely a helmet I'm considering except in my research I was able to find a lot more personal stories and info about it, couldn't find as much on the 6D and Leatt which is why I asked. But anyway really great responses, any northeast riders know of any places that stock these? I'd love to try them on but most the shops/dealers by me in NJ just have the basic HJC's and what not. 

My local shop actually had some in stock. 6D was a little big for my liking but not too bad, and the Leatt was way too light for me to ride with peace of mind. The Bell fit like a glove was light but still felt sturdy so when I scrounge up the money I have decided to go with that helmet. End of the day you cant really go wrong with any of these helmets, so thanks for the advice everyone. 

On 8/2/2017 at 5:03 PM, DCRacer572 said:

My local shop actually had some in stock. 6D was a little big for my liking but not too bad, and the Leatt was way too light for me to ride with peace of mind. The Bell fit like a glove was light but still felt sturdy so when I scrounge up the money I have decided to go with that helmet. End of the day you cant really go wrong with any of these helmets, so thanks for the advice everyone. 

How heavy the helmet feels is not an indication of how safe it is. Testing is the only way to determine how effective the helmet is. So objective tests are what should determine "peace of mind", not subjective feel. You can get massively heavy helmets that are no better than light ones. In fact, heavier means your head/helmet carries more energy in a crash, wrenching your neck more and increasing the chance of neck spine injury.

• Like 2

I have a Leatt 5.5.  I'm very happy with it.  My last two helmets were Arai's.  

Bob K.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LSHD said:

How heavy the helmet feels is not an indication of how safe it is. Testing is the only way to determine how effective the helmet is. So objective tests are what should determine "peace of mind", not subjective feel. You can get massively heavy helmets that are no better than light ones. In fact, heavier means your head/helmet carries more energy in a crash, wrenching your neck more and increasing the chance of neck spine injury.

Your'e absolutely right, the weight and data is what brought me to the Leatt in the first place, but I wasn't saying that the helmet wouldn't do its job because of its light weight, I'm certain its an excellent helmet and far safer than most of the competition. But I have to disagree that while the testing data certainly helps with purchasing a helmet, at the end of the day subjective feel is the ultimate factor. Just my opinion but personally If I don't feel/think comfortable in a helmet then I wont ride comfortably, and if I'm not riding comfortably I'm increasing my chances of mistakes and getting hurt. However I think its awesome what Leatt is doing, it wasn't too long ago when most riders bought gear because it looked cool, now all these companies are prompting more and more conversations like this about safety. All three helmets are definitely a step in the right direction 

• Like 1

I'd say you'd be hard pressed to find a safer helmet than a 6d. The bell moto 9 flex may be second best but all manufactures are playing catch up to 6d's technology in my opinion. 

• Like 1