Hey everyone. I've just started to ride my dr650 again after about a 6 month break. As I was taking it down a back road I started to hear a rattle coming from the left side of the bike. At first I could only hear it in 1st gear, after I got back to the main road I could hear it in the lower gears. Where there wasn't a whole lot of noise hiding it. It doesn't do it on smooth roads, and it doesn't do it while idling. At first I thought it might be my home made foot pegs. Alas it still did it even as I was holding them still. Also on the left side the engine is getting very hot fairly quickly.  I'm currently waiting for the engine to cool off to knock things aroubd and see if i can find something loose. In the meantime I've been looking up the symptoms and some posts mention the heat shield, but since it isn't rev specific I don't think that's it. Any ideas anyone?

Hey Adam,

To diagnosis 1st, Start the bike and let it warm up just for 5 mins and rain the the oil, check for metal shavings in the oil, If you have shavings you may a damaged clutch, clutch housing, broken clutch spring and or a gear, the clutch isn't soo bad, a broken gear or fork gear will require a tear down and inspection of the transmission, this is worst case scenario, I hope is not, I broke my 1st gear and the pieces moving around damaged other gears and 2 forks in my 07 crf450x I had to rebuild the trans $$

Thanks guys, i do have some chain slack but the sound is audibly separate from it. I'll have to take your recommendation and check the oil next. You can use a magnet for that right?