This is going to happen

So I've been thinking about this carb for awhile and decided I would clean it up and see if it works🍺 Not sure why I can't find where anybody really gave it a try. It 28mm with a accelerator pump😎 I'm sure somebody has tried it😳 120 main used two 3mm washers under the none adjustable needle and a 40 pilot. Looked like it never had fuel in it. Please chime in fellows 🍾

IMG_1522.JPG

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ricky racer said:

So I've been thinking about this carb for awhile and decided I would clean it up and see if it works🍺 Not sure why I can't find where anybody really gave it a try. It 28mm with a accelerator pump😎 I'm sure somebody has tried it😳 120 main used two 3mm washers under the none adjustable needle and a 40 pilot. Looked like it never had fuel in it. Please chime in fellows 🍾imageproxy.php?img=&key=b3312acf975e3c54

IMG_1522.JPG

I am pretty sure I'm going that route on my next round of mods...

I really like the idea of the stock look, bigger size, and accelerator pump!!

Looks like an easy bolt up assuming the fuel inlet clears...

I see these carbs for under 60 bux on eBay

9 hours ago, ricky racer said:

Well it runs and sounds crisp with a clean idle at 2 turns out. Next to ride it. 

Awesome!

How was the fuel line routing?

Looks like OEM throttle and cables would just bolt right up...

No adapters needed on either end...

Let us know if it cures the extreme fast twist of the off idle bog. I assume that's the reason you wanted the A pump?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1gr8bldr said:

Let us know if it cures the extreme fast twist of the off idle bog. I assume that's the reason you wanted the A pump?

You can kill ANY carbed engine with a snap of the wrist ...  But accelerator pump setups minimize the possibility of lean bog... And maximize pull during quicker throttle openings..

But like I said, extreme fast twists of throttles will shut any engine off...

• Like 1

It's a 1978 xl250s carb bolts right up but the choke arm need some clearance. Some of these carbs come with the fuel outlet sticking stray out. I got one that goes up for easy fuel line routing. This is a factory carb but I do see aftermarket ones for $50-60 one flea bay😂 I just wanted a accelerator pump as I know how much it woke up my xr600r. Plus it's 28mm😎 I will get to ride it today. I will get back to you guys. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mixxer said:

You can kill ANY carbed engine with a snap of the wrist ...  But accelerator pump setups minimize the possibility of lean bog... And maximize pull during quicker throttle openings..

I studied up on accerelator pumps back when i was trying to get a homemade UFO to work on the stock carb. I got sooo much more power however it magnified the bog bad. The accelerator pump would be the answer however i wanted to figure it out on a stock carb. That carb looks stock. Does it have an oval bore like the stock carb?

1 hour ago, mixxer said:

I was looking again. That is the exact carb only accelerator pump added. Our stock carb can be converted....... All the attachment points and pivots are there. Can you find out what bike  that carb came from.... so we can order the parts

Edited by 1gr8bldr

Yep... Those are still the oval bore PD series of carbs.... Only with accelerator pumps...

Oval bore was to get a final bigger opening without exposing too much area too quickly, to help alleviate bog...

A bigger carb cam be used with an accel pump to make it big AND responsive... If the carb is bigger and the pump isn't setup right... Then bog is just worse with the bigger carb...

2 minutes ago, mixxer said:

Yep... Those are still the oval bore PD series of carbs.... Only with accelerator pumps...

Oval bore was to get a final bigger opening without exposing too much area too quickly, to help alleviate bog...

A bigger carb cam be used with an accel pump to make it big AND responsive... If the carb is bigger and the pump isn't setup right... Then bog is just worse with the bigger carb...

I suggest you make a homemade UFO since you have the pump. It took my stock 230 to the level of my built 230. Waaaay more

6 minutes ago, 1gr8bldr said:

I was looking again. That is the exact carb only accelerator pump added. Our stock carb can be converted....... All the attachment points and pivots are there. Can you find out what bike  that carb came from.... so we can order the parts

No ya can't....

You don't want to have to drill passages for the pump shot... And install a squirt nozzle in the venturi... Even if you could buy separate, why would you?? Whole carb brand new is 55bux..

I am not familiar with you use of UFO..

I still know it as unidentified flying object

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1gr8bldr said:

I suggest you make a homemade UFO since you have the pump. It took my stock 230 to the level of my built 230. Waaaay more

My built 230 is a super responsive strong pulling wide band barrel of monkey's compared to stock... I don't know if I could handle it with a UFO... Especially since I don't know what it is...lol

Ricky, some specs on your bikes mods with your ride report?

UFO: Ultimate Flow optimizer https://thunderproducts.com/shop/u-f-o-ultimate-flow-optimizer/

MY XR400 had stock internals when I added the pumper carb, easier cold start, easier hot start and big boost with the crack of the throttle.  The Hot/Cold starts I'm not concerned with on the 230, but a throttle response boost would be welcomed on a internally stock 230.

Edited by NEODS
sp?
  • Like 1

Here is my UFO posting. The tests, problems, etc. Lyon at thumper is a great guy. His is sort of generic, for bore sizes, his having cuts that hinder. For best results, you will want to make your own. Spray cooking oil inside you carb and seat your barrel filled with JBweld, as a mold. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mixxer said:

No ya can't....

You don't want to have to drill passages for the pump shot... And install a squirt nozzle in the venturi... Even if you could buy separate, why would you?? Whole carb brand new is 55bux..

I really wanted mine to be a sleeper, looking stock. At that price, your right..... and it would look stock

• Like 1