Okay so Im going to be purchasing a new dirt bike this year. I'm 29 years old and Ive been riding since I was 7, But it has been four strokes the entire time. With this said, since Ive moved to BC Canada, I have been riding more technical single track that ive ever done. I ride a 2007 CRF 250X right now. Im already sold on a 2-stroke 300. I really like the new 2018 Beta 300RR, but obviously the vibrations of a 2 stroke dont put my mind at ease. They say with the new crank, it has reduced vibrations but the KTM XCW and XC both have that counterbalance weight and Ive ridden a 2017 husky tc300 with that engine and I do enjoy the very little vibration it gives off. If I go KTM it would be the 2017 model, I dont see any huge upgrades to wanna spend the extra money when I can get a 2017 for 1000 less. Its terrible cause im so drawn to the looks of the new Beta as I find it looks better then the KTM. Spending this much money though I cant justify buying the Beta soley on looks alone. For people that have ridden the 16 and 17 Beta's, does the vibration bother you? Have you ridden the 2017 KTMS to compare

Thanks

I have a 2015 beta 300. I came from riding 4 strokes as well. This is by far the best bike that I have been on. It is nothing like an MX bike. The power delivery is very smooth and predictable. I love the low speed lugging ability it has. I never need to feather the clutch at all. That being said, I have zero experience with the KTM. As far as vibration, that is very subjective. I have no issues with it what so ever. Some folks say it is enough to bother them, but it is nothing like the older 2 strokes. I really don't think there is a wrong decision between the two. You would most likely be very happy with either bike, I kind of like the idea of having a different bike than everyone else. I also like the adjustable power valve on the Beta. It just takes a couple of seconds to dial the power in to where you like it, no springs to change.

• Like 2

Yamaha YZ250X.  Don't buy into the euro hype. :naughty::smirk:

I bleed blue, but the YZX is a F'n Dinosaur.
  • Like 4

It probably doesn't matter there both good bikes. Ktm and Beta both have some issues so neither is perfect. The motor will be a little smoother on the ktm. Beta seat height is a little lower. I own a 17 ktm 250xc . It's the best bike I ever owned. I have zero complaints. The Betas I test rode were ok. Since they were not setup  for me i did not care for the  suspension . The power and motors felt good. Beta owners will say beta is the best ,ktm guys will say the same thing. Different people will gel with one bike brand more than another. 

Look at dealer support and who your going to buy parts from. That should be a deciding factor. 

• Like 1

Im riding in Vancouver Island. Would love to start doing the Hare Scrambles that we have here. Ive got a Beta and KTM Dealer that are very close to each other, so parts and what not wouldnt be an issue as far as going and getting them. The draw back to the Beta is I would have to wait until October before the dealer sees its first one. In comparison, Im leaning towards the Beta, but again its just that vibration Im worried about. I feel I could probably get use to it or maybe it won't even bother me at all. I just know the KTMs vibrate as much as my 4 stroke so its quite nice. I don't see a whole lot of Beta's around so it would be pretty cool being one of the few with a different bike. Im trying to not think about how I like the Colour scheme and rarity of the bike as I want to make a decision based on performance more then just looks. Thanks so far guys for the advice.

BETA don't be like everyone else, be different 

Until you're at a race, something buggers up on your bike and you need to borrow or buy a spare part from a fellow racer. That's where KTM has a large advantage.

Uncommon bikes suck when they need parts.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Goatse said:

Until you're at a race, something buggers up on your bike and you need to borrow or buy a spare part from a fellow racer. That's where KTM has a large advantage.

That is one good thing about ktm is part interchangeably.  I actually both gave and received parts at races before, it does happen.  

Beta is becoming more common bike now but still its 20 ktms for every beta. Also with ktm there is a lot better aftermarket part support. You have a lot more choices for both wear, cosmetic and performance parts. Look for plastic for beta then ktm. How about extra wheel sets both new and used. Having a common bike can have an upside. 

Something to consider too is the 18 betas 2st are not going to have kickstarters. You can add one but it will cost extra. 

12 hours ago, Goatse said:

Iam not with you there usually you bring your bike in the best condition and a lot of spare parts. 

If not your not so smart

Edited by skorpan777

Iam not with you there usually you bring your bike in the best condition and a lot of spare parts. 
If not your not so smart

Except it's racing... Sh*t happens, sh*t breaks, and not all scenarios can be anticipated. So unless you've got a complete 2nd B bike (or a truck full of enough parts to build one), there's going to be times sh*t happens and you're scrambling to get back out.
  • Like 1

Just now, Goatse said:

Except it's racing... Sh*t happens, sh*t breaks, and not all scenarios can be anticipated. So unless you've got a complete 2nd B bike (or a truck full of enough parts to build one), there's going to be times sh*t happens and you're scrambling to get back out.

I hear you but iam of another opinion. 

Usally you don't do an entire engine rebuild at the track, if you bring the normal, bar,  brakes, levers, chain etc you will be fine. 

Im not overly concerned about needing parts on race days. Obviousily it's nice to have the flexibility of the KTM when it comes to parts but with 95 percent of my riding being just single track out in the woods with a couple buddies, I dont see having the Beta would be a disadvantage in regards to having access to parts. I might have to wait until a demo day with the Beta to determine if the vibrations bother me. I just hate waiting, the weathers too nice not to be out riding haha.

Edited by coachroy
  • Like 1

I think the KTM is the better bike by a slight margin.  But how tall are you?  The Beta will favor the smaller rider and the KTM will favor the taller rider.  How you fit on the bike might sway you one way or the other.

If you decide to go with the KTM you have to decide between the XC and XC-W.  That decision alone would give me fits.  Good luck!

Doc

Im 5'11 and I do enjoy a lower bike as I do like being comfortable knowing if i need to I can easily get my feet fully down. When I sat on the KTM I dont beleive I had an issue with height but it wasnt dialed into my weight so I may have been bringing it down haha. Yes the XC and the XC-W, ive been back and forth. Looks wise I like the XC. I never ride in the dark so the headlight isnt a big concern not having one with the XC. I ride Linkage right now but having PDS with the XC-W, I hear riders notice it more at high speeds, which in my case I dont do all that often haha. However from what I read, the Gearing it different in the XCW and seems to lean more towards my riding ability in regards to what gear to be in. It's what I currently hate with my bike. Im either in 2 gear always clutching or im high reving 1st. There isnt a lot of length to the gears if that makes any sense. That's what sounds nice about ther XC-W. I think Im just gunna have to buy all 3

• Like 2

I'm 5'8" and ride an XCF-W.  It's a bit tall for me  but I manage.  You'd be fine at 5'11".  I have the open cartridge forks and PDS shock on mine.  I'm super impressed with how that suspension goes through the roots and rocks with no drama and without deflecting.  The XC would be the choice for higher speed stuff, whoops, jumps, etc.. 

I like the XCF-W gearing.  It's nice having that low first gear to fall back on when you have to pick your way through the nasty stuff.  

Doc

I haven't ridden the new counter balanced KTM but I have a 2017 Xtrainer, same engine as the 300RR. I think it's about average for a 2 stroke. My YZ250F motor is definitely smoother. It's not to the point it bother me though.

I will say it's a great motor though. I removed all the Xtainer's restrictions and put a 300RR FMF Gnarly pipe on it. Im very pleased with it.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app