Idle problems

Problem #1 is that the bike would start fine (with choke on), I'd leave the choke on to let it warm up. But as soon as I turned off the choke the bike would die. 
Now, I did leave the bike for 25 days, and I know this new gas we're getting has ethanol in it, and that's probably the problem (getting gummy).... I know it's probably the pilot circuit.
I seem to have cleaned the pilot circuit out by simply playing around (twisting the throttle a little bit while it's running on choke, then removing choke and keeping enough throttle on to keep it running without choke, then the problem slowly went away). By coaxing it in this way, I think enough gas made it through the pilot circuit to "clean" it out enough to fix the problem temporarily. I rode it all day today and it's perfect again. I'm still going to yank the carb and clean it (and install a petcock with an "OFF" position). 

Problem #2 is that the bike won't return to it's nice, low-RPM idle speed after I've been in motion. When I come to a stop sign, the bike idles quite high, although my idle screw is set correctly. It will return to proper idle only if I feather the clutch out a little to "lug" the engine just a hair - then the bike seems to snap out of it and return to its low and normal idle. Is this pilot circuit related too? 

20170727_144116.jpg

Edited by greg11

You could try lowering the idle just a hair and see if that cures the hanging without idling too low. I'd also recommend confirming the fuel screw is set where it should be. It's probably best to start with a clean carb, though, so if you think its still needs to be cleaned do that first.

Edited by ptgarcia
  • Like 1

If fuel screw is more than 2 1/2 turns out, try a richer idle/primary jet.  I don't like the fuel screw more than 2 3/4 turns out, lost one once.